It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the pope dies, what changes will occur?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The current pope is known for his very conservative ideals, when he dies, what changes can we expect to see? Will the Catholic Church begin to come out of the dark ages, or will they stay laid back and set in their mid- evil views, on birth control, stem cell research, and women in the clergy, among others.

What will the new pope do to improve the image of the Catholic Church? Will he finally reveal the real secrets of the fatima? Or will the Catholic Church continue to run as they always have? Keeping more conspiracies and secrets than any other organization?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I don't think there will be any changes. The pope is more of a figure head than anything else. There's a whole commitee of advisors that run the show for the pope. Besides, do you think the pope has been healthy enough in the last 5 years to make any sound decisions?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The church isnt going to change. The only thing that is going to happen is a new pope. The dark age issues you list are what the faith is based on. Dont expect to see any acceptence of homosexuality, divorce, abortion or female priests.

Nor should you expect to. Its their (mine) religion. What may seem like "midevil views" to you, is what the religon is based on. Will they reveal any "secrets"? Highly unlikely. For some people nothing will ever be good enough proof. Besides, its a religon based on faith, not facts.

Now that the flood gates have been opened........

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
They will promote another dogmatic figurehead that I don't listen too.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I thought the NWO controlled the vatican ? or is it the masons ? I get so confused....

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Haha, it doesnt really matter when the pope dies, there will be a new old guy is some funky robes and a crazy hat, doing the same thing the other one did.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeeze louise
The current pope is known for his very conservative ideals

What? The current pope is a reformer. True, he's a reformer in a very traditionalized thing, therefore he is conservative to the popular mainstream, but he's not a conservative within catholocism.

, when he dies, what changes can we expect to see?

Extraordinarily few. The structure of the church is such that it doesn't change just because there is a new pope.

Will the Catholic Church begin to come out of the dark ages,

The church has been out of the dark ages for about, well, lets be generous and say about two generations.

The pope is more of a figure head than anything else

No organ in the Church can contradict the pope. He is the final authority. Teh college of cardinals votes on popes, and advises popes, but they have no technical authority. They can influence him, certainly, but the 'office' of the papacy, so to speak, is absolute.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
On a side note. Why can't I slam on jews, blacks or gays, but everyone feels free to slam on Catholics..Mind you, I dont wanna rip on any of the above mentioned groups, but I find it odd, thats its ok for the world to rip on us, but if I have any anti-gay views, Im immediatly labled a racist. Seems a tad hypocritical...

[edit on 2-2-2005 by spliff4020]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am not slamming Catholics. I am Catholic (or was anyway) I just think they are living in the past,if they don't become more current and start listening to what their followers want they will continue to lose members in droves.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Like has been previously stated i dont expect to see any changes with regards to the catholic church. The pope worships the word of god just like any other christian so regardless of who takes the mantle they cant change the beliefs. I dont think the advisors at the vatican care too much for reform.

However you never know... high profile figures can always cause massive changes in the world just by the slip of the tongue so no doubt a new pope will certainly effect the news if nothing else.

Watching BBC news last night it was mentioned he was a world war 2 soldier who fought the nazis. I dont know how much truth there is in that but obviously he deserves some respect in what surely is his final year(s). Maybe someone with a little more knowledge than myself can post the key moments in his life so we can see just how much the new pope would be able to influence catholic views?

Not being a catholic ill leave it to someone more knowledgable on the subject

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
On a side note. Why can't I salm on jews, blacks or gays, but everyone feels free to slam on Catholics..Mind you, I dont wanna rip on any of the above mentioned groups, but I find it odd, thats its ok for the world to rip on us, but if I have any anti-gay views, Im immediatly labled a racist. Seems a tad hypocritical...

Well I don't know many people who can easily change thier heritage, or skin color. But it is possible to change religions. Also most people see Catholics as very closed minded, and self-righteous.

Also it is about a level of tolerance people have. Gays have decided that anything agasint them is a discrimanatory racist hate crime, when it really isn't. But it certainly makes good press.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I am not slamming Catholics. I am Catholic (or was anyway) I just think they are living in the past,if they don't become more current and start listening to what their followers want they will continue to lose members in droves.

That wasnt directed at you at all. I just meant people in general. When I tell people that Im catholic, they roll their eyes and eventually the "alter-boy" jokes start.

The church wont change to suit some members wishes. They will let them leave. If your catholic, youll understand that. Our religon will remain with the views it holds now. Always has, always will.

Just a thought. When I meet a black person, can I make slave jokes? Or when I meet a jew, how about a holocaust crack? Better yet, what if I have a tv show, and I constantly rip on them? Would I not be taken off the air, and probably get shot? You bet. Anti-semite, racist pig...

Yet so much time on tv and print is devoted to rippin on us. What those priests did was disgusting, and what was worse was the cover up. I will never defend them or their actions. That being said, its a SMALL number of the people that is represented. Yet all of us pay for it. Let me make a crack about all blacks being criminals or jews being money hungry though.....

Doesnt it seem a tad hypocritical?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Spliff, I don't see it as a knock on the church or being hypocritical, I think for any organization to survive, be it a church, social club, or even a girl scout troop, you have to be willing to adapt to changes in society. The Catholic Church does not seem to realize this, so for that reason they will find themselves a much reduced version of themselves in the very near future!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Remember that John Paul I had some ideas that the Church would deem "radical", one of them being severing "alleged" ties to organized crime. Of course, no one can prove John Paul I was murdered the very day before releasing this information to the public but there is significant circumstantial evidence that suggests it. The church will never allow any significant changes in its doctrine, dogma or processes no matter which pope is chosen to follow JPII.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Hopefully they'll get someone in there that will drop the hammer on all of the pedophile priests. It sickens me the way nothing was really done about that. I hope those M.F.ers rot in hell.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Or will the Catholic Church continue to run as they always have? Keeping more conspiracies and secrets than any other organization?

And the prize goes to....

Sadly, I think the above is what will happen. Won't make much of a difference.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

You mean, for example, like the way the Hewbrews decided that Moses and his old cronies were out of step with their needs and desires, so they decided to build a golden calf?

The Catholic faith isn't about the personal wants and needs of soft, overindulged, western societies who find the Catholic way of approaching life as "medieval" or "in the dark ages". It is about faith, plain and simple. If you don't believe, then you are not Catholic, and you don't have to worry about it.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Spliff, I don't see it as a knock on the church or being hypocritical, I think for any organization to survive, be it a church, social club, or even a girl scout troop, you have to be willing to adapt to changes in society. The Catholic Church does not seem to realize this, so for that reason they will find themselves a much reduced version of themselves in the very near future!

Do the muslims change and adapt? Are their numbers shrinking? For us to suddenly allow gays and abortions would literally turn our religion on its head. Its not what we belive in.

I also think your missing my point on hypocrisy. Im not saying that anyone here is doing that. I mean on print and in televsion. Its open season on us. But say one negative word about a black, jew or homosexual and youll never hear the end of it....

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Pyros. I am not suggestion that the church should change it's fundamental beliefs, the Golden Calf was about worshipping a different God!

I am talking about keeping up with times where issues such as birth control, family planning, and women in the clergy! For example by telling married couples all over the world that condoms are not to used, they are asking for more HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

They continually take one step back, they have made no progress in following world iniative.Their job as leaders, is to be leaders! Instead they force their flock to follow practices that can only have detrimental results for everyone involved

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I am talking about keeping up with times where issues such as birth control, family planning, and women in the clergy! For example by telling married couples all over the world that condoms are not to used, they are asking for more HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Well, no. In the church, they say no sex untill your married. Then, its only sex with your partner. Therefor, no aids. Now run around and mess around with whomever, and you prob. will get a disease...

As far as family planning, it should be just that. PLANNING. Abortions mean you didnt plan......

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join