It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so, about this wall thing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Seems that the southwesternmost members of our nation are kinda uncomfy....this "Wall" thing, well - yeah, they voted for Trump, but now it turns out they will have to give up a bunch of their land (includes ranches, golf courses, homes, lakes, etc) to put the wall along the border proper.

You see, as the crow flies --- like snapping a chalk string -- does not actually represent real life.

One of my eccentricities is an obsession with minimizing the distance to travel between sites.
I'd rather not go a mile out of the way, thank you very much. So - I pay lots of attention to this sort of stuff.

The folks down along the border are incomodo (uncomfortable) now learning todo que la idea is all about. Eminent domain is a real thing. My mil's home was bought by the city and demolished to create a park. She came out of it okay, enough to buy a nice condo nearby and thus relieving her of the burden of homeownership into her 80s. So, cool for her.......

but this border wall --- this is like the FRONT LINES of the entire terrestrial immigration thing.

I believe the best idea would be not to erase NAFTA, but to expand it. One continent....one nation. Provinces or whatever. We are ALL equally NORTH AMERICANS, and goddammit, we need to work together.
One can acquire a transcript if needed. Just ask.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I believe the best idea would be not to erase NAFTA, but to expand it. One continent....one nation. Provinces or whatever. We are ALL equally NORTH AMERICANS ...

I have a hard time imagining that many Americans share that sentiment - I do not know about Mexicans (who would have the most to gain), but U.S. citizens would not want to be a part of Mexico, and I think Canadians would want neither Mexico NOR the U.S.

Honestly, hardly any country anywhere on the planet want to that with their neighbours. Even the best of neighbours would not like to be one country .. which likely is why that they are two countries in the first place.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The excuse would likely be the EU didn't and doesn't work so we not even gonna try an American union... just a pre-emptive Brexit right on into East and West Germany instead.

Corporate fascism sux.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
once people have to start giving up their # they will be none to happy with trump.
i will have to keep an eye on this

not only is mexico not paying for it as promised but these people are going to lose some of their property...

yup. sucks

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have no issue with border enforcement but I question the practicality and expense of the wall.

Are there not better more cost effective and modern ways to enforce the border?

Would the wall even work? What does the data say on illegals and how they are getting into the country?
I read somewhere that many illegals fly in so a wall wouldn't stop these cases.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It would an ecological disaster. Even paved roads cause things that travel on the earth's surface issues. From the large to the small the paved road is more often a killer. Then after a while species diversification stops and all one needs is a small blight to wipe out whole species.

Even current fences in use cause migration issues.

Somebody think about those poor butterflies!!!

The question of further polluting the planet making the cement to build the thing is questioned in the below article. They also note that it places the engineers in a spot. Do they help the US of A and "security" by building it; or do the refuse and look after the welfare of citizens and the planet?

SciAm - Trump's Wall Could Cause Serious Environmental Damage.

And that's even before The Orange Guy kicks people off their land and steals their home! What industry is the US really good at? Prisons. Walls keep people out but they also keep the others in!! Just ask some North Koreans...

(Jeez TEOT, a little early in the week to be so sardonic, no??)

a reply to: SolAquarius

Shock collars?

edit on 4-4-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: teot made a funny

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
I read somewhere that many illegals fly in so a wall wouldn't stop these cases.

maybe it'll be a super tall wall.
with imaginary money, all things are possible

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

I do not know about Mexicans (who would have the most to gain)

Then you should see to it that you learn about Mexicans, on a face-to-face basis, so that you do know. Do some homework.
Do some community organizing.

Do some communicating. You might be surprised how many folks of all ethnicities, nationalities, skin colors, and religions want to make things work.

edit on 4/4/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
If they live right on the border then they can stop illegals themselves. If not, then a wall shouldn't interfere with their ranch.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: DupontDeux

I do not know about Mexicans (who would have the most to gain)

Then you should see to it that you learn about it and that you do know. Do some homework.

Ideally yes, but man, the implications of comprehensive and complicated bi- and trilateral agreements from a Mexican perspective is a heavy topic - while I wish i did, I simply do not have time to educate myself on it in a meaningful way.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that there are some things you do not know and move on.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The United States of North America, a corporation of unlimited partners.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I find it hilarious! Some of these dumb idiots are starting to wake up and say "holy *, what did I just do?"

Then you have people like me who are pushing the president to "do what he said he'd do."

I think america, as a whole, will wake up if we keep pushing president Trump to make sure he delivers on his promises before he leaves office.

I know a lot of people will say "this president accomplished this" or "the last president brought us this." But this president.... if we keep pushing him to do what he said he'd do, it will show just how hypocritical trump voters are. And maybe next time, when they decide to vote, they actually fully understand what it is they are voting for.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Mexico is poor because Mexico is corrupt. Mexicans come to America because Mexico is poor. The day Mexico is no longer poor is the day America no longer need a wall.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: GiulXainx
I find it hilarious! Some of these dumb idiots are starting to wake up and say "holy *, what did I just do?"

Then you have people like me who are pushing the president to "do what he said he'd do."

I think america, as a whole, will wake up if we keep pushing president Trump to make sure he delivers on his promises before he leaves office.

I know a lot of people will say "this president accomplished this" or "the last president brought us this." But this president.... if we keep pushing him to do what he said he'd do, it will show just how hypocritical trump voters are. And maybe next time, when they decide to vote, they actually fully understand what it is they are voting for.

This is an interesting take on things.
Chaos fo chaos sake?
Maybe with a steep learning curve thrown in.
Kind of makes me think of the saying be careful of what you ask for you might just get it.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I would prefer no wall. I would prefer sensors and aerial drones. But I fear it won't be enough. A wall can station personnel. Bare ground cannot station personnel. It needs personnel to deter illegals.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yeah ... about this wall thingy ...

What would a narcissistic Democrat want a wall for anyway? Maybe ... so his name could live in infamy. He built a wall greater than the Great Wall of China.

Building a border wall is gonna happen the day after he prosecutes Hillary and all the rest of the 0bama administration. IOW ... don't hold your breath.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Good fences make good neighbors.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Yeah ... about this wall thingy ...

What would a narcissistic Democrat want a wall for anyway? Maybe ... so his name could live in infamy. He built a wall greater than the Great Wall of China.

Building a border wall is gonna happen the day after he prosecutes Hillary and all the rest of the 0bama administration. IOW ... don't hold your breath.

right.

He imagines it to be so glorious and so permanent a shrine that it will dwarf the pyramids, the Great Wall of China, Hadrian's Wall, etc.

Until his name is visible from outer space/the International Space Station, he will persistify.

God save us.
edit on 4/4/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You would think we could secure our border without stealing land from American Citizens?

No?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye
Mexico is poor because Mexico is corrupt. Mexicans come to America because Mexico is poor. The day Mexico is no longer poor is the day America no longer need a wall.

Not really.

Illegals coming from Central America and going thru Mexico to get here are as much of a problem.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join