It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Peter Jennings Reporting: UFO, Feb 24th on ABC.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Yes, I've read all the complaints that other people have posted and... well... I think they're very unfair. You guys have to realize that this was aimed at a GENERAL AUDIENCE. 99% of the audience has NEVER heard of things like the Minot sighting. 99% of the audience has little real knowledge of the history of UFOlogy.

And, as stated on the special, 65% of the general audience believed that an alien craft crashed at Roswell. In 15 minutes, and with no facts and partial evidence, and a complete ignoring of the actual contradictory statements of the 1994 USAF report, they dismissed it as a myth to a national audience.

Likewise, sure, attack the UFOlogists...but at least acknowledge their credentials before doing so. A viewer who never heard of someone like Friedmann, simply wasn't told that he is a PHD, held top secret clearances, and worked on sensitive projects for the military....likely because it would of course, make him more credible, and that isn't what they wanted.

You can sugar coat it all you want, but it was bull#.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams
Well....

I thought that the show was VERY GOOD.

Yes, I've read all the complaints that other people have posted and... well... I think they're very unfair. You guys have to realize that this was aimed at a GENERAL AUDIENCE. 99% of the audience has NEVER heard of things like the Minot sighting. 99% of the audience has little real knowledge of the history of UFOlogy.

Same here. I addresed this a page before your post, but good call.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
To the person who thought that the show was VERY GOOD. I hate to break this to you buddy, but just because your so called 99% of listeners don't know what a ufo is, doesn't mean backwashing the truth is acceptable. Nobody's talking about conspiracies like you say is so prevelant on this forum. We're talking about facts, and questions that need answers.. And we're sick and tired of the same controversy being brought up when they can resolve this whole thing a lot faster with a little more research and a lot more agressiveness. THat being said, the show was just a stepping stone that was going to happen anyway.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
My recorder screwed up and I actually didn't catch the program. I know someone else who did and I'm going to borrow their copy. However, I trust the judgements of the people (most of them) on this board.

I hate to say I'm not surprised. I've been pretty pessimistic about the program this whole time thinking that if my expectations were low I couldn't be disappointed, only pleased. Well, I guess I'm a little disappointed anyway. Though Peter Jennings' performance last night on the Daily Show indicated what kind of program this was going to be.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
They didn't even mention the Space Shuttle Sts video's. Official Nasa video's...

Why would they? If I wanted to get the public interested in UFOs I would bring up the best evidence first... not stuff that can be easily discounted (like video of reaction thrusters firing).

You guys -- and sorry to sound mean -- just have to get over the fact that most 'outsiders' to the subject can't take 95% of the stuff you see on places like ATS seriously. The public will listen to military pilots talking about things that chased their airplane.... they will NOT take easily dismissed footage of grainy UFOs as proof of an interstellar war.

I hope that you guys will realize how friendly this report was to the UFO subject BEFORE you scare other reporters away from the subject.

link   
Well, at least it's in the public eye somewhat more...I'll just take solace in that for now....

link   
As an administrator of an "alternative topic" discussion board that often focuses on aliens and the possibilities of extraterrestrial visits -- who actually believes we've never been visited by extraterrestrials -- I also thought the show was a well done with a fair balance. I also thought the show did a great job of showing how scientists feel that UFO believers are establishing a mythology around their beliefs. The desire to believe overshadows common sense all too often... and this aspect was covered well.

link   
Oh please....

All you had to do was listen to the tone of voice when Jennings said the word "ab duc shon..(abduction) He emphasized it as if to come across as very disbeleiving...

I've seen better in the sci fi channel at 3 am.

link   
FYI, C2Cam is going to have Michio Kaku on first hour discussing ABC show and the last hour will be for open lines about the show.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmtvisitor
To the person who thought that the show was VERY GOOD. I hate to break this to you buddy, but just because your so called 99% of listeners don't know what a ufo is, doesn't mean backwashing the truth is acceptable. Nobody's talking about conspiracies like you say is so prevelant on this forum. We're talking about facts, and questions that need answers.. And we're sick and tired of the same controversy being brought up when they can resolve this whole thing a lot faster with a little more research and a lot more agressiveness. THat being said, the show was just a stepping stone that was going to happen anyway.

Where did Jennings screw up on the facts? Yes, I agree that the Roswell part was a snowjob... but you guys are assuming that Jennings knows everything. Sorry, but Stanton isn't the best investigator out there. It turns out that many of the people who reported seeing bodies at Roswell were lying. That's a fact.

If Jennings had staked his claim on the Roswell thing his report could have been shot down immediately. Instead he showed us reliable UFO reports WITH LITTLE OR NO criticism. He allowed viewers to make up their own minds in regards to those things.

[edit on 24-2-2005 by onlyinmydreams]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Oh please....

All you had to do was listen to the tone of voice when Jennings said the word "ab duc shon..(abduction) He emphasized it as if to come across as very disbeleiving...

I've seen better in the sci fi channel at 3 am.

Well,
The segment on abduction closed with abductees having the last word. It closed with a guy, after the sleep-paralysis theory had been brought up, stating that what he saw was no illusion.

Note that Jennings did not say something to the effect of, "So there you have it... abductions are just a joke." No... he didn't give any opinion on it at the end.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
onlyinmydreams, Just for info. If I remember right the photo you have displayed with your name (UFO Black and white) was found to be a fake. The person who took the photo told how he did it. I'm digging through my files it was a newspaper story years ago about the guy explaining how he faked it.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
People the world over are being softened up for a staged "UFO" event. People will fall for it as people love being tricked at carnivals and in political/economic matters, but I repeat myself...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
TO ONLY IN DREAMS

This must be one of your dreams to believe that the evidence brought on the show was the best evidence out there.. Just cause you go around hearing stories of David Icke and Art Bell's guestlist, doesn't mean you know the slightest evidence of anything concrete.. DO so more research before you go saying everything that Peter Jennings didn't mention is fantasy..

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
i think this thread is getting "violent"...

members, calm down and post good posts...

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gabbye
onlyinmydreams, Just for info. If I remember right the photo you have displayed with your name (UFO Black and white) was found to be a fake. The person who took the photo told how he did it. I'm digging through my files it was a newspaper story years ago about the guy explaining how he faked it.

People also have photos of Mister Spock as their avatar.

Guess what: I just liked the picture and thought it was almost iconic. I never said that it was real.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
We'll your right its a fake....
Put one up that is real

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The whole idea of slowly talking about ufo's to gradually grab the public's attention is ridiculous. This subject has been on the table for years, and the history channel has given enough people time to slowly come off their horse and walk on new ground. This should've been slammed hard. But we're not really disapointed, because it's what was expected.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thresher
People the world over are being softened up for a staged "UFO" event. People will fall for it as people love being tricked at carnivals and in political/economic matters, but I repeat myself...

Although i'm just happy i didn't fall asleep during halfway, i knew the government wasn't gonna dwell on anything. I don' know, the whole life after death/psychic/ufo phenomema is just an on going, deja vu, let's repeat ourselfs type of stuff. Ya know what they say thresher, when we make a problem, the only way to fix it is in another state of mind, I think einstein said that, i'm not to certain. Though, the ending was kinda cool, how it was symbolic of how many people called in. Why can't they let flares, swamp gas, and other things go? Flares don't glow like that, OMG! I'll finish my rant later on this.....nevermind i'll add some now. One thing that pissed me off is that every damn new age website says that most aliens wanna land, but can't because of governments. The governments can't control, and this matters how? They say no alien is to interfere, like in what way? There's been sightings of ships attacking missiles, and hovering over missiles, if that's not interference, then what is?

edit: i'm not flaming you thresher, just needed to get some steam off, and rant and rave, well yeah

[edit on 24-2-2005 by malakiem]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmtvisitor
TO ONLY IN DREAMS

This must be one of your dreams to believe that the evidence brought on the show was the best evidence out there.. Just cause you go around hearing stories of David Icke and Art Bell's guestlist, doesn't mean you know the slightest evidence of anything concrete.. DO so more research before you go saying everything that Peter Jennings didn't mention is fantasy..

It's nice to see that people don't read what other people have actually written (had you done so, you would have realized that I was doing the opposite of basing my opinion on David Icke stories).

I didn't say that everything he didn't mention was fantasy. What I HAVE been saying is that:

1)Some people are mad because Jennings didn't report a 'bigger picture' that would inevitably have involved internet pop mythology that could be easily shot down by skeptics.
2)He didn't dismiss the abductees at the end of the abduction segment... as most shows would have.
3)He showed UFO cases that were reported by very reliable people.
4)The history of UFOlogy is about more than dead bodies at Roswell. It's also about the various UFO waves in history and people like Hynek... things Jennings talked about. Because Jennings dismissed the particular breed of UFOLogy most people like around here is NOT the same thing as dismissing UFOlogy.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join