It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens to you when you die

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Sorry I haven't read through all four pages of this thread, yet still, wanted to reply to the OP.

Firstly, I'm not buying the purpose of religion is to address those four questions. Minor point let's continue.

What happens when we die seems to have been addressed thoroughly on a practical scientific basis, but you're really asking about the "spiritual" or "after life" aspects.

In my opinion, it's worms for the body and the miind. Death happens end of story.

Why do I not consider an afterlife/rebirth scenario?
BECAUSE the world's religions & philosophies have so many differing and conflicting views, the point is moot.

What if I'm wrong and there IS an afterlife?
Well, I haven't done anything I'm worried about morally, karmically or cosmically - so I guess I'll just enjoy the ride into the next dimension, can't stop the trip, might as well go with the flow, even if it leads to Satan's volcano.

ganjoa

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I read a book on nanotechnology that said DNA sequences in your cells determine your age.

I think that means the cell division process induces errors over time, that lead to breakdown and eventually death.

There is no undoing exposure to environmental factors like radiation (both from the sun and man made sources) and toxins (artificial and natural) that not only mutate but wear down the immune response. Cells get tired after being divided that many times over a lifetime.

A lot of scientists think we have already achieved this result or are very close too. You know it's true if a younger George Walker Bush starts walking around again.

Okay, like the cartoon Futurama with heads in jars? Too funny, and...

...no thanks

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

BECAUSE the world's religions & philosophies have so many differing and conflicting views, the point is moot.

Thats by design, confusion reigns.

- so I guess I'll just enjoy the ride into the next dimension, can't stop the trip, might as well go with the flow, even if it leads to Satan's volcano.

Thats the sun.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

does the same process go on for cats, dogs birds, insects, grass, fungi, bacteria, so on and so on? Because we are made of the exact same things that those things are. We are literally related to all of those things.

yep!

The grass in your yard will always come back as grass. It does its grass thing. In perpetuity. Grow and get green and soft and smiley...then wither and go dormant...."die" even......but then....aaaAAA!! Back again!

Same with ALL mammals. As for perpetuity of the same soul, that is. But every species that reproduces also is "reincarnating" .... maybe just producing offspring is all there is to it. Then our energy returns to the ether to do some other thing that energies can do.

I've also considered two equally persuasive theories: Once a human always a human; or Advancing/Regressing depending on karma, where you might come back as a spider or something.

Are we stardust? Yes, no question about that. Does our self-awareness make us too vain? Perhaps all mammals are aware they will die.
My last loved one went out into a blizzard and laid down under her favorite bush. I urged/carried her back in, to her favorite place by the piano. She died during the night. Maybe they know all along, but since we struggle to relate to them, to understand their 'language', we don't get how cognizant they really are.

edit on 4/4/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Woody, you preach and evangelise like a Jehova witness, knocking on doors and street preaching, constantly
You have a real problem

You can't accept others have a different view, pretty scary
Take a sabbatical and get your head straight, seem slightly religiously fundamentally zealous about your religion of atheism.
Calm down

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

So... reincarnation.

Why is Bronze Age desert mythology "retarded" while Bronze Age jungle mythology is hip?

Programming, conditioning, propaganda, this system of things, the spirit of the world and the ruler of this system of things favoring certain views/philosophies/ideas over one specific rational and reasonable set of conclusions regarding these type of subjects are all involved (also a specific way of thinking and reasoning that is ridiculed, belittled or otherwise made to appear as an undesirable trait, see last video in this comment for details how this is done by some who are very much influenced by the spirit of the world or demonstrating that spirit/attitude and way of thinking, reasoning and behaving, which includes "spin", or twisting things).

Matthew 7:13,14:

13 “Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it.

That spacious road can also be described as a wilderness (and is in the bible) or maze of spritual roads to keep people busy with things such as Satan's 'first' lie to humanity (actually his first was perhaps in his question to Eve, he changed something that God had said to Adam and Eve, emphasizing something else; while he knew what God had really said, so it was a dishonest trick question to get Eve to think about something specific).

At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die. (Genesis 3:4)

Because the lie became a bit too obvious when people started dying, he changed it up a little bit, he's good with that:

Myth 1: The Soul Is Immortal

Oh, btw, all the spiritual roads in this maze or wilderness (this system of things) lead back to Babylon. Well, that's a rather definitive statement for a figurative rephrasing of the common phrase "All roads lead to Rome". So take it with a grain of salt, at least a lot of 'm. When I use the terminology "Babylon the Great" I might be able to get away with saying "all" without it being all that inaccurate. And I am somewhat focussing on spiritual roads as in religious philosophies and ideologies, whether they are adhered to, expressed and/or promoted* by people claiming to be part of a specific well known organized religion (or major religion, however you want to phrase that) or not.

*: or "argued in favor for"

So this is included (notice the stuff about reincarnation):

Context, cause the video is cut off at a crucial subject that the Trinitarian in the video doesn't and won't address in his presentation:
He is a liar! (part 1 of 2)

It's not wrong to think a certain way no matter what some influential people in this system of things favor for their own reasons...

See Hebrews 5:14 (just remember that synonyms for right and wrong are true and false, correct and incorrect). We're talking here about things that are absolute/true/factual/certain/conclusive/correct, without error and things that are false/incorrect. Selective and general agnosticism (embracing, promoting or feigining convenient ignorance selectively or in general regarding even the most simple facts/realities/truths/certainties) vs dealing with reality, acknowledging facts, etc. Remember that my description of general agnosticism doesn't always count for all forms of selective agnosticism regarding specific subjects, but selective agnosticism does have a tendency to expand in the mind to become more and more like general agnosticism. You can spot it when someone begins expressing any variation of the concept, slogan and contradictory* philosophy/idea that some people phrase as "science does not deal with absolutes". *: consider the meaning of the words involved, knowledge (a familiarity with facts or that which is factual/absolute/certain/true) is a synonym for the word science which comes from the Latin word scientia which means, tatatata...knowledge. Nothing more, nothing less. There's a cop-out excuse available regarding a secondary meaning for the word "absolute" that has nothing to with something being "factual/certain". But it's always clear from the context that the people talking about this subject are talking about the concept of being certain or sure of something, not "complete". Of course there's a nice trick available there to distract as well by bringing up the phrase "completely sure?". The philosophy is still nonsense and conducive for general agnosticism, which you might as well call "Deny everything"-mode depending on how far people want to take this type of thinking. If you can't even acknowledge that 1+1=2 as I've seen on ATS...

That verb carries an important meaning that I explained in another thread.
edit on 4-4-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

does the same process go on for cats, dogs birds, insects, grass, fungi, bacteria, so on and so on? Because we are made of the exact same things that those things are. We are literally related to all of those things.

yep!

The grass in your yard will always come back as grass. It does its grass thing. In perpetuity. Grow and get green and soft and smiley...then wither and go dormant...."die" even......but then....aaaAAA!! Back again!

Same with ALL mammals. As for perpetuity of the same soul, that is. But every species that reproduces also is "reincarnating" .... maybe just producing offspring is all there is to it. Then our energy returns to the ether to do some other thing that energies can do.

I've also considered two equally persuasive theories: Once a human always a human; or Advancing/Regressing depending on karma, where you might come back as a spider or something.

Are we stardust? Yes, no question about that. Does our self-awareness make us too vain? Perhaps all mammals are aware they will die.
My last loved one went out into a blizzard and laid down under her favorite bush. I urged/carried her back in, to her favorite place by the piano. She died during the night. Maybe they know all along, but since we struggle to relate to them, to understand their 'language', we don't get how cognizant they really are.
The grass isn't dieing though. It is going dormant for the winter. The same way trees go dormant in the winter. We do not go dormant, we die, and there is no evidence whatsoever that we have souls so there is no reason to bring imaginary concepts into a discussion as serious as "what happens when we die" speculation without observation is the bane of all science. If these things are to be proven to exist, it will be done with science. That is a necessary fact that cannot be avoided.

All mind functions that have ever been observed, happened inside brains or very primitive nervous systems. There has never been a conscious which has been observed with out a brain.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Cool video. Now consider this thought. Every star in our Universe that collapses to a black hole, creates a Big Bang type event in a newly created space-time dimension! Boom! Your head explodes!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
Sorry I haven't read through all four pages of this thread, yet still, wanted to reply to the OP.

Firstly, I'm not buying the purpose of religion is to address those four questions. Minor point let's continue.

I wasn't really selling. Wow, you are sensitive.

What happens when we die seems to have been addressed thoroughly on a practical scientific basis, but you're really asking about the "spiritual" or "after life" aspects.

Now what are you selling? Please provide some link to some scientific research you consider to be science fact. Or are you just saying your faith in science is so strong that any conversation claiming science has limitations is irrelevant.

In my opinion, it's worms for the body and the miind. Death happens end of story.

I don't think anything I said in my original post would contradict your know-it-all claim "Death happens end of story." Even though I am aware you cannot prove a negative do you have any evidence to support your assertion? You seem so confident in your assertion.

Why do I not consider an afterlife/rebirth scenario?

This has nothing to do with my original post and just looks like you have an ax to grind against all religions.

What if I'm wrong and there IS an afterlife?
Well, I haven't done anything I'm worried about morally, karmically or cosmically - so I guess I'll just enjoy the ride into the next dimension, can't stop the trip, might as well go with the flow, even if it leads to Satan's volcano.

Grind much?

edit on 4-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typo

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
At this the serpent said to the woman: “You certainly will not die. (Genesis 3:4)

Does anyone honestly think God did not know exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Now consider this thought. Every star in our Universe that collapses to a black hole, creates a Big Bang type event in a newly created space-time dimension! Boom! Your head explodes!

'Bout time you figured it out, grasshopper!!

Yes!!!

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

We do not go dormant, we die, and there is no evidence whatsoever that we have souls so there is no reason to bring imaginary concepts into a discussion as serious as "what happens when we die" speculation without observation is the bane of all science.

sigh.
okay then.

I promise you: One day you'll understand.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
Because the lie became a bit too obvious when people started dying, he changed it up a little bit, he's good with that:

Probably following this principle expressed by Garak:

Or at least not tell it in exactly the same way.
Since I'm here anyway, the question answered in this set of videos relates quite well to the answer given to the question of this thread in my previous link about the soul (a very short article, the answer is listed as a fact at the bottem):
Why do we die? Why did Jesus Die? PART ONE
edit on 4-4-2017 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
The purpose of religion is to provide meaningful answers to the great four existential quiestions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What is going to happen to me when I die?

Question number 4 is a good one. I think studying near-death experiences is very interesting. There have been books written on the subject. Often people talk about a white light and tunnel. I think, based on this idea, what happens when you die is time slows down. You begin to experience everything with a heightened amount of detail like you have in the middle of a car accident. Your consciousness turns to the light and becomes mesmerized by the experience. I think looking into the light is the same thing as looking into the face God. You become so enamored and enthralled by the absolute encompassing beauty of God's face, you cease to have conscious thought. In that moment you experience eternal everlasting bliss and your mind melts into the mind of God. You become one with the great mind of the Universe.

Your last experience is the greatest possible one anyone can achieve through our minds. I think once you melt into the mind of God you never wake up from the experience. You are by definition the most awake you will ever be experiencing eternal heavenly bliss without any time for conscious thought.

Now some of you will say that's not what our Bible tells us. Our Bible tells us we have a vengeful anthropomorphic God who will judge us after we die. I don't think that's true. I think we just melt into the mind of God and everyone is saved or gets to experience eternally heavenly bliss regardless of our earthly sins. I think the mind of God has no boundaries or limits and is therefore indiscriminate when it comes to the melting process.

Any thoughts? I would love to hear someone quote scripture or talk about eternal damnation. By the way, how bad can eternal damnation be? It can't be worse than living in New Jersey.

You,have already died one time in your life and you was sent back to earth to relive why your lords decision on judgment day was final.

The second time you die will be the day in which you are going to be judged and the reason why so many will go straight to the abyss..the sewers of hell.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Science seems to have problems explaining this case…

- JC

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

Gah...I hate that the guy in the first video tried to use her experience as evidence of "heaven" instead of evidence of consciousness without a functioning brain. She had no blood in her brain and was conscious. Pretty amazing because it's not the first time I have heard similar accounts.

Witnessing my mom's death made me reevaluate my ideas that consciousness ends after death.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

I have heard of this case, the one Buzzy mentioned about the shoe and many others. Science cannot explain everything. We are far more than just a physical body and it is my belief that when you die, you go on to something else.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

M'ehh, what makes you so sure that you are right anyway?

Don't be such a grinch.

I suggest you do not take woodcarver serious about anything he has to say concerning spiritual issues.

Once again I have not yet seen any mention of man's spirit ..... only energy and consciousness.....

So...... anyone who thinks when you die that you turn into consciousness or pure energy is ridiculous. So noone is walking around in heaven or hell? They are only pure energy huh? How ridiculous! OR you return to God as energy? Again stupid.

When we die we will STAND before Jesus and be judged, why is it that many do not understand? Because this has NOT been revealed to those who do NOT understand. We are a body (physical). mind (our brain) and soul (a spitting image of our physical body)

I will NOT use scripture.... do you know why? People like wooodcarver "spin it" while he spews his hate for those who have beliefs in God. I simply ignore his post and do not answer them.

Woodcarver is a non believer why listen to him? So he can confuse you? Are you not aware that we are to be careful when listening to non-believers as they spread their lies and deceit?

Am I not being clear enough? Lets see...... look into the mirror.... what do you see? This image is exactly how you will LOOK after death as you stand before GOD...... whom many in NT has called Jesus AND Jesus NEVER corrected them.....GET IT?

The FATHER does NOT judge........the SON does.....

God (The Father) does not judge you..... JESUS (His Son) does.
edit on 5-4-2017 by DeathSlayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   
What happens to you when you die?

You rot and people forget you ever existed.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: DeathSlayer
We are a body (physical). mind (our brain) and soul (a spitting image of our physical body)

I will NOT use scripture....

I will, human traditions and doctrines are misleading. And the human heart is treacherous.

Hebrew: ruʹach
English: spirit

Basically means “breath” but has extended meanings beyond that basic sense. (Compare Hab 2:19; Re 13:15.) It can also mean wind; the vital force in living creatures; one’s spirit; spirit persons, including God and his angelic creatures; and God’s active force, or holy spirit. All these meanings have something in common: They all refer to that which is invisible to human sight and which gives evidence of force in motion.

Hebrew: neʹphesh
English: soul

Bible usage shows the soul to be a person or an animal or the life that a person or an animal enjoys. Neʹphesh, as used with reference to earthly creatures, refers to that which is material, tangible, visible, and mortal.

“The belief that the soul continues its existence after the dissolution of the body is a matter of philosophical or theological speculation rather than of simple faith, and is accordingly nowhere expressly taught in Holy Scripture.”—The Jewish Encyclopedia (1910), Vol. VI, p. 564.

What is the origin of Christendom’s belief in an immaterial, immortal soul?

“The Christian concept of a spiritual soul created by God and infused into the body at conception to make man a living whole is the fruit of a long development in Christian philosophy. Only with Origen [died c. 254 C.E.] in the East and St. Augustine [died 430 C.E.] in the West was the soul established as a spiritual substance and a philosophical concept formed of its nature. . . . His [Augustine’s] doctrine . . . owed much (including some shortcomings) to Neoplatonism.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 452, 454.

“The concept of immortality is a product of Greek thinking, whereas the hope of a resurrection belongs to Jewish thought. . . . Following Alexander’s conquests Judaism gradually absorbed Greek concepts.”—Dictionnaire Encyclopédique de la Bible (Valence, France; 1935), edited by Alexandre Westphal, Vol. 2, p. 557.

“Immortality of the soul is a Greek notion formed in ancient mystery cults and elaborated by the philosopher Plato.”—Presbyterian Life, May 1, 1970, p. 35.

“The problem of immortality, we have seen, engaged the serious attention of the Babylonian theologians. . . . Neither the people nor the leaders of religious thought ever faced the possibility of the total annihilation of what once was called into existence. Death was a passage to another kind of life.”—The Religion of Babylonia and Assyria (Boston, 1898), M. Jastrow, Jr., p. 556.

“There is no dichotomy [division] of body and soul in the O[ld] T[estament]. The Israelite saw things concretely, in their totality, and thus he considered men as persons and not as composites. The term nepeš [neʹphesh], though translated by our word soul, never means soul as distinct from the body or the individual person. . . . The term [psy·kheʹ] is the N[ew] T[estament] word corresponding with nepeš. It can mean the principle of life, life itself, or the living being.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Vol. XIII, pp. 449, 450.

“The Hebrew term for ‘soul’ (nefesh, that which breathes) was used by Moses . . . , signifying an ‘animated being’ and applicable equally to nonhuman beings. . . . New Testament usage of psychē (‘soul’) was comparable to nefesh.”—The New Encyclopædia Britannica (1976), Macropædia, Vol. 15, p. 152.

Can the human soul die?

Ezek. 18:4: “Look! All the souls—to me they belong. As the soul of the father so likewise the soul of the son—to me they belong. The soul* that is sinning—it itself will die.” (*Hebrew reads “the neʹphesh.” KJ, AS, RS, NE, and Dy render it “the soul.” Some translations say “the man” or “the person.”)

Matt. 10:28: “Do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul [or, “life”]; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul* and body in Gehenna.” (*Greek has the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, RS, NE, TEV, Dy, JB, and NAB all render it “soul.”)

Acts 3:23: “Indeed, any soul [Greek, psy·kheʹ] that does not listen to that Prophet will be completely destroyed from among the people.”

What does the Bible say that helps us to understand what the soul is?

Gen. 2:7: “Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul.” (Notice that this does not say that man was given a soul but that he became a soul, a living person.) (The part of the Hebrew word here rendered “soul” is neʹphesh. KJ, AS, and Dy agree with that rendering. RS, JB, NAB read “being.” NE says “creature.” Kx reads “person.”)

1 Cor. 15:45: “It is even so written: ‘The first man Adam became a living soul.’ The last Adam became a life-giving spirit.” (So the Christian Greek Scriptures agree with the Hebrew Scriptures as to what the soul is.) (The Greek word here translated “soul” is the accusative case of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, JB, NAB, and Kx also read “soul.” RS, NE, and TEV say “being.”)

1 Pet. 3:20: “In Noah’s days . . . a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water.” (The Greek word here translated “souls” is psy·khaiʹ, the plural form of psy·kheʹ. KJ, AS, Dy, and Kx also read “souls.” JB and TEV say “people”; RS, NE, and NAB use “persons.”)

Gen. 9:5: “Besides that, your blood of your souls [or, “lives”; Hebrew, from neʹphesh] shall I ask back.” (Here the soul is said to have blood.)

Josh. 11:11: “They went striking every soul [Hebrew, neʹphesh] that was in it with the edge of the sword.” (The soul is here shown to be something that can be touched by the sword, so these souls could not have been spirits.)

Where does the Bible say that animals are souls?

Gen. 1:20, 21, 24, 25; Lev. 24:17, 18; Rev. 16:3

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join