It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Senate OKs statewide immigrant sanctuary bill

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I realize this is a can of worms, but what gives California the right to ignore the sovereignty of the United States, along with it National Security, by allowing those who are here illegally to stay and have "sanctuary"? WHAT are they thinking, besides more democratic votes?

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — California lawmakers gave initial approval Monday to a measure that prevents law enforcement from cooperating with federal immigration officials, a measure that proponents said rebukes President Donald Trump for his immigration crackdown. It makes California a statewide sanctuary for many people who are in the country illegally. The state Senate passed the measure on a 27-12 vote, sending it to the state Assembly over the objection of opponents who said it endangers the public by shielding felons from being deported. The bill, SB54, advanced after Senate President Pro Tem Kevin de Leon, a Democrat from Los Angeles, amended it to let state and local law enforcement notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement federal agents before convicted serious or violent felons are released from custody. De Leon also stripped the bill of a provision that would have required a two-thirds vote. Passing the measure with a simple majority means it wouldn't take effect until Jan. 1, while the previous version would have taken effect immediately. "We will cooperate with our friends at the federal level with serious and violent felons. But we won't cooperate or lift a finger or spend a single cent when we're talking about separating children from their mothers, mothers from their children," de Leon said. "That's not who we are as a great state."

www.yahoo.com...

I notice that children and women are often used by politicians to hide behind something more nefarious. I cannot imagine why flooding a state with illegals, when there is already a lack of jobs and an almost impossible tax rate, would be good for anybody. The burden of indigent patients and children who cannot communicate in English is already more than California can deal with. I lived in California for the first 40 years of my life so I'm not a stranger to this kind of chicanery on the part of Sacramento, but to thumb their nose at federal law, while their hand is out asking for federal fund to help support these people, boggles my mind.

I also want to say that my parents are immigrants and came here legally, and this, to me, is a slap in the face to every single legal immigrant here on American soil.

I have sympathy for human beings, but this goes beyond the pale. Personally, I think California should secede and be done with it. They are jeopardizing our national security. I am not a racist, but I believe in following the law when it is beneficial for the country. When I worked in Texas in social services, many immigrants stated they noticed a lot of people who were not Hispanic coming over the border with them....who spoke no Spanish, and who were most likely (they thought) Middle Eastern.

This dog won't hunt, Monsignor.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FissionSurplus

It only escalates from here. Who's ..pen.. is bigger.

You know what really sucks? This is all for political gain. Only victims here are the common folks.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I hope all of the illegal aliens from all over America move there. Enjoy the beaches and hang out in the great restaurants then visit the State office building. It will be a blast. Good luck California, it's been nice knowing you.
edit on 3-4-2017 by whywhynot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Not really a can of worms...

If I as a citizen break the laws I will be punished.

If I as a citizen break the laws and prison time is given, does the judge care if I am separated from my family for years?

What is the can of worms?

California can pay for all this crud? So be it.

mg
edit on 3-4-2017 by missed_gear because: Clarity

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI
I agree. There can be no other reason for this other than for votes. It makes no sense economically, socially, or environmentally. It certainly isn't for humanitarian purposes, the last things politicians really care about is people's lives and health.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Ratings too, and clicks and likes and upvotes and.........

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
HA! Yup. I moved from California after I was at the Monterey County fair in 2002, and they were flying the Mexican flag over the American flag. This was county gov't property. I complained and was told to stuff it, the United States "stole" California from Mexico, they were taking it back, and if I didn't like it, I could leave.

So I did. Best thing I ever did. Try getting a job in social services when you don't speak Spanish over there.

It's all about assimilation. However, when you feel that you have a right to another nation's land, well....yeah. It's not going to work out. I've heard all the arguments. I do know that Mexico was paid in gold for all the land the US now considers it's sovereign territory. They took the money and signed it over. Besides, Spain came in and took over Mexico from the Native Americans there....but that is never discussed.

Ugh. I've heard all the arguments, and they're all nonsense. By letting the border remain open, everybody can come in from the south.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

True, but if we as a nation have to pay federal dollars in medicaid (Medi-CAL in that state), along with federal funds for schools, etc., we're all affected.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The thing is everyone acts like California is this Liberal Utopia, but Brown is nothing but a corporatist-statist, he and the rest of the politicians here are abysmal

Vetoed a bill to broaden Rank Choice Voting, said California couldn't afford Universal Health care

these "Liberal Ideas" don't matter, they pander to who will get them more votes to stay in power and support that Statist status quo

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
The government employees who voted this can be arrested for being in rebellion if push comes to shove.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I would LOVE to see that happen, but apparently politicians don't get arrested any more. They may get "censured" by their peers, ripped by public opinion, but there is no punishment that I see, other than perhaps the federal government grows a spine and tells them that until they get into compliance with federal immigration laws, they will receive no funds for programs that support illegals living there.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I know a few people that are trying to get away from debt and I believe one has a serious criminal convictions which makes getting a job hard, I guess this is a open invitation to make California their home then??, good weather easy illegal employment as no doubt these people need to feed themselves so local law enforcement will turn a blind eye to such things..

On a serious note what a absolute bat sh1t crazy idea, the lunatics have the keys again.. Why bother with the proper channels of obtaining a green card???.. Terrible message to a generation that believes the world owes them a living..

Shame on you California...

RA

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   
... and so many of you were arguing for States' Rights just the other day ...

What happened to "alll the US needs to do is deliver my mail and stay out of my business!"

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Analyzing the article, it pretty much says, Californites(ians?) our law enforcement will not cooperate with federal immigration officials.

That's fine. They want to play games? cool. Cut federal funding, seeing as all their politicians seem to pocket a pretty penny from the coastal elites, they don't need it. You're law enforcement won't cooperate? fine, immigration and customs federal agents, we'll simply increase its budget and its powers of authority, flood California and start the mass crackdowns.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Personally, I think California should secede and be done with it.

But then we would have to build a wall around California, too.

I say we just wait for it to get swept out into the ocean.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Arizona bay. Loved Bill Hicks.

Could the neighbouring states not just impose their own restrictions on Californians trying to leave the state? If it became a cul-de-sac and not a thru-road, would that help?

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I'm absolutely all for their state right, but now that they've approved this measure I think they should lose all federal funding.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
... and so many of you were arguing for States' Rights just the other day ...

What happened to "alll the US needs to do is deliver my mail and stay out of my business!"

There is nothing wrong with it... but the left only cares about states rights very VERY selectively...... and ya cant have it both ways.
Remember when Californians voted that a marriage is the union of a man and a woman...2x....Where was the lefts outrage about states rights then?
Any states rights claims coming from the left are showmanship...nothing more. And those of you Lefties who dare even mutter the words States Rights are filthy, deceitful heathens....and you know it just as well as I do.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

We are trying hard to get rid of Brown and his band of thieves,we have highest tax rate,now he raised taxes 2 dollars on a pack of cigarettes,I don't know of anyone local here that supports these sanctuary citys,this is an example,of how the US would be if run by liberals,pay 3 bucks a gallon in road tax,have worst roads in country,Democrats are by far a bunch of idiots,can give them all the money in the world,they would still go broke

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

and actually, Trump could probably cut off ALL federal EVERYTHING

schools

law enforcement

transportation

water

food

parks/recreation

what else?

if CA has to pay for all of those things without any help from the Federal Government i can imagine it would hurt.

States rights has its limits. I can see an attorney making a good case that any State, especially one on the border, causing through malicious or politically motivated reasons, affecting the integrity of the border with a foreign country, could in fact be guilty of some pretty big offenses....dont know what they are...im not a legal scholar...but i bet there are a lot of ways this can go down..

any ideas anyone? how can CA fight the Fed on this one? I raised the issue before elsewhere that since CA grows a disproportionate amount of the Nations food they could make it harder for other States to get that food as a form of protest or obstruction.....

what else could CA do to make it difficult for the Fed to enforce immigration laws?

What else can Trump/ Executive or other branches he controls/influences do to put the screws to CA to force compliance?

interesting times!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join