It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former CIA Agent Says Russians “Almost Killed Bin Laden”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
According to former CIA agent Mark Sageman, who was involved in the support for the Mujahadin in Afghanistan, the Soviets almost killed Bin Laden during the Soviet - Afghan war.

MosNews
The Soviets wanted to block a channel the CIA used to supply weapons to Afghani mujaheddin, and their commandos, the Spetsnaz, started to gradually wipe out Afghani camps along the mountain trade route.

Bin Laden stayed in one of these camps together with about 30 of his men, but when the Spetsnaz came, they fled to the mountains. “When I heard about this, I was only interested in Spetsnaz cleanup tactics. Only thirty years later did I get to know that you almost killed Bin Laden that day,” the expert said.

It's amazing how many times this guy has escaped death.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Damn its like that guy 9 lives !

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Those were the days...when Osama was America's best friend and got training and everything. Would have been quite the loss if the Russians
had gotten their man.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
This brings up an interesting point. I wonder if other countries around the world are secretly trying to find this guy and kill him. If you believe, like I do, that OBL is covertly being protected by the CIA, then if another country were to find and kill him it would throw a serious monkey wrench into the United States'/NWO's plans for future wars and world domination. Just a thought.

Peace

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
"Almost" doesn't count for nothing unless your talking nukes. That goes for those American, Russian, and Saudi reports of having stated "almost".

seekerof

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love If you believe, like I do, that OBL is a covertly being protected by the CIA, then if another country were to find and kill him it would throw a serious monkey wrench into the United States'/NWO's plans for future wars and world domination. Just a thought.

Peace

I agree with you. I've been hearing OBL's name in the media for years now. But you know what, to my mind, no one is THAT clever and can't just stay hidden without major and powerful assistance worldwide.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning no one is THAT clever and can't just stay hidden without major and powerful assistance worldwide.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Pakistani ISI was protecting him.
Weren't they the guys who wired money to Atta before 911?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
"Almost" doesn't count for nothing unless your talking nukes.

Almost counts with horseshoes and handgrenads too

IMHO If they wanted him dead he would be. He is still usefull.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
This brings up an interesting point. I wonder if other countries around the world are secretly trying to find this guy and kill him. If you believe, like I do, that OBL is covertly being protected by the CIA, then if another country were to find and kill him it would throw a serious monkey wrench into the United States'/NWO's plans for future wars and world domination. Just a thought.

I'm with you on this one too!
US forces enter Iraq, capture Saddam in 8 months who's military strength, personal, infrastructure of resources etc all greatly surpass OBL and his supposed Al-Qaeda terror network. What gives? OBL is still out there and living/hiding in allied countries (Pak/Afg) and we can't capture or kill this boogeyman? Yet we takeover a hostile country in 3 days and capture their leader within an 8 month time frame?

Obviously the ghost of OBL with the beneficial timing of his video statements is certainly Bush's greatest political asset. Here's proof for you doubters out there.

Kerry blames defeat on Bin Laden

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
it wouldn't make the slightest difference if someone killed him now, there are plenty more osama's waiting in the wings and they could be worse.

just look at palestinian terror groups, as soon as israel kills the leader someone takes their place! it is never ending.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Some of you are forgetting one thing when you compare the capture of Bin Laden with the capture of Hussein: no one was impeding our troops in Iraq; we could go anywhere we wanted.

This is not the case with Bin Laden. We do not have carte' blanche to travel the mountains of Pakistan to search for him; Pakistan will not allow it. We have to do it covertly or wait until he pokes his head up long enough for us to separate it from his body.

Remember how long it took us to find Eric Rudolph or the Unabomber on our own soil. And we only got them in the end because someone dropped dime.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Some of you are forgetting one thing when you compare the capture of Bin Laden with the capture of Hussein: no one was impeding our troops in Iraq; we could go anywhere we wanted.

This is not the case with Bin Laden. We do not have carte' blanche to travel the mountains of Pakistan to search for him; Pakistan will not allow it. We have to do it covertly or wait until he pokes his head up long enough for us to separate it from his body.

Remember how long it took us to find Eric Rudolph or the Unabomber on our own soil. And we only got them in the end because someone dropped dime.

You provide a case that outlines preventing US forces from capturing or carrying out heavy military action within Pakistan boarders. Although the same cannot be said for Afghanistan, this provides no such excuse for US military forces failing to capture/kill Bin Laden in Afghanistan, Tora Bora.

We had complete control of that sh*tty country in less than 30 minutes following 9/11!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It's also possible that there is no risk of another country hunting him down and killing him because he's already dead. The CIA may be using lookalikes to make these videos. Think about it, these tapes come out and go directly from the CIA to the media. If the CIA says it's him, well then it must be him. Who are we to question them? Audio tapes using his voice or a very good reproduction of his voice can easily be forged.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
It's also possible that there is no risk of another country hunting him down and killing him because he's already dead. The CIA may be using lookalikes to make these videos. Think about it, these tapes come out and go directly from the CIA to the media. If the CIA says it's him, well then it must be him. Who are we to question them? Audio tapes using his voice or a very good reproduction of his voice can easily be forged.

Peace

You're absolutely wrong about the filtration system that these tapes come through. They are dispersed to mid-east media outlets almost every time, to spread the notion that Bin laden is alive and kicking. It's true; Bin Laden was a close counterpart to the CIA's anti Ruskie operation's in Afghanistan, but, if you actually look at the middle east in it's current state, Bin Laden has been, attention wise, almost phased out. Killing him 3 years ago would have destabalized the region. Now, the focus is on Iraq. He has lost his leadership role by cowardly running through the mountains and hiding in caves, and to think that our servicemen, no matter what branch of the government, aren't salivating to put a .223 round through the back of his head, is absurd.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have heard too many 'we almost got' or 'we are closing in'
about UBL. I don't believe anyone anymore when they say
'we almost got' or 'we are closing in'. Sorry, but I'm cynical.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

it always baffled me that it took that long to find a man in the woods, especially when they knew who he was, what he looked like, where he lived, where he worked, what he drove, what he was capable of, what his needs were to survive, etc. eric rudolph should not have been free that long, but i understand, from the moment he was on the loose, there were other more pressing problems in this country to deal with. the unabomber is another story, authorities had no idea who they were looking for, other than the basic profile. as for OBL, well, i believe he's been nearly killed as many times as has been reported. if you think about how many times central american rebels of whatever faction run into gunfire, they probably outnumber OBL's escapes from death by 20:1.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Not to hijack this thread, but...

Rudolph had sympathizers in the area, as shown by this sign:

He signed autographs for some of the deputies while in custody. Several T-shirts were designed and sold praising him, etc., etc.

Bin Laden has his own sympathizers.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I have to agree with some of 'yall on here. We can go in and wipe out a country, yet we cannot find one man? I don't like the smell of this. The CIA may have him on ice simply because he may have a truck full of dirt on some of the higher ups in our intellegence networks. I think if the Ruskies had an oppertunity to take him out...well that one would be hard to call. I would bet even money though that someone either here in the US or in Pakistan knows where he is located. He does have large monatary assets located around the world and I am sure he is using it to his pay for his seclusion. Just a stab in the dark on this one.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I doubt whether the US had control of Afghanistan within 30 minutes of 9/11, they don't even have control now. They did go in early but mainly to bribe tribal leaders with lots of cash (literally). Most of their control is in the air, it's hard to find someone in difficult terrain, littered with landmines and heavily armed warlords who are loyal really only to themselves.

Remember Saddam Hussein was only found due to a tip off, in fact if it wasn't for tip offs and good luck we wouldn't find anyone. There aren't any security cameras at the local mall in Afghanistan, the closest they have to electronic surveillence is some global hawks, TR-1s and satellites, and they are looking for one man who has had years of experience in these mountainous areas, and loads of loyal supporters and lots of local support throughout the arab world. They are looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

But does it even matter about catching Bin Laden, apart from the public morale, I mean what has he done lately? Made a few dodgy tapes, with empty threats. And even if you do catch him what are you going to do? put him on trial so he can have more publicity (aka Saddam and Milosevic) or kill him when he is likely to die anyway and in fact make him a martyr, remember nutter muslims like him aren't afraid of death, they welcome it.

new topics

top topics

join