It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Turbines - Butt Ass Ugly

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
With wind turbines accounting for only 5.5% of our energy consumption why is this still an expanding industry? Do we have to clutter the entire country side with these obnoxious monstrosities? There are an estimated 20,000 on-shore wind turbines in the US right now. Accounting for only 5.5% of energy consumption I really don't see why we would need to continue to clutter up beautiful countryside with these things.

Wind turbines...coming SOON to a pristine countryside near you...

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Something tells me the aspects you mention will result in wind mills that are essentially tethered blimps that take advantage of the quick moving jet streams and send the generated power down through the conducting tether... the out of sight out of mind concept.

Not so sure the aerospace industry will appreciate or agree with my thoughts...

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Don't forget to mention that they are responsible for an incredible amount of bird deaths. They want to stick an entire farm of these things in Nantucket Sound, which is a highly productive fishing area (one of the few left) and also along the migration routes of many species of birds.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Expensive and unreliable too.

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The alternatives are so much more attractive!

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
What is ironic is many cities have ordinances prohibiting tall, obnoxious signage along their road sides because they don't want the unsightly clutter.

Yet they have no problem sticking these damn things all over pristine countryside. I can't even fathom the hypocrisy of that mindset.
edit on 3-4-2017 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I would agree if both had the same footprint.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Always thought they were kinda neat-looking

My home is not the 'countryside' though.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Personally, I think they look cool, particularly in depressing areas like west Texas and eastern New Mexico, always windy and always brown and blah. Plus, there's this:

Wind energy supplied 4.7 percent of the total electricity generated in the U.S. in 2015, enough electricity to supply the equivalent of all electricity demand in Colorado, Oklahoma, and Kansas.

www.awea.org...

To each his own, I guess. I like them and lived around a lot of them in the southwest.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson
Yea I knew I'd be seeing this🙄🙄and they kill bald eagles to right?this sounds suspiciously like trolling for trump and his oil buddies👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽👎🏽

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: notsoobviously

Please believe me, I'm no fan of big oil (or Trump other than the fact he's now my President). The Audubon Society are pretty pro-bird: www.audubon.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Will Wind Turbines Ever Be Safe For Birds?
Sure, it’s green energy—but it also results in hundreds of thousands of bird deaths each year.

Just the facts ma'am.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: notsoobviously

I don't know why I can't get links to work, but the address for the article is www.audubon.org...

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Excuse me, sir, but butts can be damn fine looking!

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Rethink. Or become informed . You know , deny ignorance and all. Check how many drilling locations and refineries we have vs. how many wind farms would be needed .
Feel enlightened yet ?

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Try being a technician for one.

The job description includes being able to climb a lattice ladder 100 feet with a 20 pound tool belt. There are cages every 25 feet, they say. The blades you see? The technician gets to climb into each of them and take pictures to make sure there are no stress cracks. That entails a 30 foot bellycrawl. But it starts at $22 an hour!!!

And then the descent. No thank you.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Don't forget mountain top coal mining removal,

frackin g fields,

and my favorite, exploding nuclear reactors...

edit on 3-4-2017 by intrptr because: punctuation

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I grew up with an oil refinery in my backyard, literally, one block away from the El Segundo Standard Oil plant. I could tell you stories about fires and the fog of pollution that clouded our neighborhood. And then the LA country side, dotted with drilling rigs, all along La Cienega Boulevard between the South Bay and the LA Basin.

Now I live out by Palm Springs.

So, you go deny ignorance!

edit on 3-4-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

B3

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Then theres forests, I hate all those trees sticking up in the air like that. Much prefer clearcut de forestation.

Lets replace them with the spires of Oil refineries.

Who needs oceans of water, lest replace the water with spilt oil

And geez whats all that dirt doing in those holes?

Op en pit mining

If we run out of resources we can reduce other nations to dust and take theirs...

Pillars of fire

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   

There's also a lot of populace/demographic reasons to keep and maintain a growing network of wind power.

I agree, I don't want to see these structure taint the natural beauties of where nature thrives above societal ingress. But, for the areas where people are shoulder to shoulder with their faces buried in power consuming devices, I support the windmill movement.

These ones look and function as what wind power should resemble... an urban platform with a contemporary design. I highly doubt if the cows roaming the midwest care to have the extra power to charge their battery operated milkers... take them down I say.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join