It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Is Stomping Silicon Valley in the Self-Driving Car Race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

...Ford—yes, the Detroit-based, 113-year-old giant—is winning the race to build the self-driving car, with General Motors running a close second. Renault-Nissan, Daimler, and Volkswagen round out the top five. Meanwhile, Waymo—aka Google’s driverless car effort—sits in sixth place, with Tesla in twelfth. Uber languishes in sixteenth, behind Honda and barely ahead of startup Nutonomy and China’s Baidu.

That may sound all kinds of wrong to anyone who has seen Uber, Waymo, and Tesla flaunt their tech, and regards Detroit’s old guard as ill-prepared for the robotic future. ...[the] “leaderboard” report ranks these players not just on their ability to make a car drive itself, but on their ability to bring that car to the mass market.

Detroit Is Stomping Silicon Valley in the Self-Driving Car Race

So experience counts. Very interesting. And cool. Tres cool.

YEA Detroit!

I like this. And I certainly hope this success will help revive Detroit. I do wonder about Tesla's placement though - looks like they're going to meet their production commitments.

But whomever wins the race, we're gonna get self-driving cars. And the entire transportation industry will be a'changin.

Tesla Stock (TSLA) Soars & Passes Ford (F) On Record Production

Tesla Is Now Worth More Than Ford, If You Believe The Market

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

There is going to be alot more stolen self-driving cars in detroit too. Wait... how does that work?

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

There is going to be alot more stolen self-driving cars in detroit too. Wait... how does that work?

Lol I was gonna say. And for Detroit to be "great again" means that a certain element needs to go and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

S+F though based on just the op. Will be interesting to see what they can come up with. Detroit is not too far from me.
edit on 3-4-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Since its a ghost town a lot less hazards to worry about. Although their robotic car jacking defensive mechanizations sure would be cool to see in action....

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Good to hear about Detroit getting back in the game

As to Tesla being valued at $48 Bill well....I'd have to look at last years earning to make any sense of it.

www.thedrive.com...

Then there's the numbers that underlie the $48.7 billion valuation. Bloomberg points out that Tesla sold a little less than 41,000 vehicles in the U.S. last year - that's about the number of F-Series trucks that Ford moves in three weeks. Tesla's "record" first quarter saw over 25,000 cars built, add another zero on the end of that figure and you're still below the number of vehicles Ford sold last month alone. All this to say, stock market valuations are a game of perceptions. And right now, the prevailing view is the future is electric.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:20 PM
link   
And Ford will be the first to feel the stinging lawsuits in that case.

No matter how much using they do, scenarios are going to arise where the driver less system will have to decide who dies.

How does a system designed for safety manage that. How does the law view this? We have criminal charges for certain human driver scenarios, so what about AI?

Who's responsible then?

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

their robotic car jacking defensive mechanizations

I Googled that...."their robotic carjacking defensive mechanizations"
and got this...go figure!

In defence of sex machines: why trying to ban sex robots is wrong theconversation.com/in-defence-of-sex-machines-why-trying-to-ban-sex-robots-is-wr..

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

Remember the Prius debale where Toyota were denying there was anything wrong for so long?

www.scpr.org...

Toyota has since recalled some 8.5 million vehicles worldwide - more than 6 million in the United States - because of acceleration problems in multiple models and braking issues in the Prius. Regulators have linked 52 deaths to crashes allegedly caused by accelerator problems. Still, there have been more than 60 reports of sudden acceleration in cars that have been fixed under the recall.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Find it difficult to understand what so cool is there in self-driving cars.
My guess, not a lot.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Self Driving Cars are a product in such of a market, and will fail to catch on. Like the segueway scooter, the iwatch, and electric cars. Ya can't force this crap on people.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I think that the Intel & BMW recent purchase of Mobileye (largest manufacturer of autonomous data chips) is a new twist of fate for the future of autonomous vehicles.

There's 2 reasons for my opinions here: first, the system they developed is able to be adapted to cars that don't carry autonomous functions... making it a universal application if need be, with no need to purchase a new vehicle. The specific applications of other makers will hinder the market share too much as compared to a universal system.

The second reason for their anticipated successes above all others is the fact the the BMW implemented systems already had the lowest percentage of failure rates (accidents in autonomous mode). In fact, only 1 incident was documented.

The low rate of failure coupled with the acquisition of Mobileye, and partnership with Intel will leave American car manufacturers 5 years behind BMW as history has already showed to be the case. I'm sorry Ford, but they will but another company's technology rights after a 5 year patent hold most likely.

Let me add this 6 year old video... maybe one can see the 5 year delay I am talking about. The new acquisitions just stamp the documents that await the doors to open up for the other tries to take back seat.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

Great clip...hahaha....
"And it won't even run down your battery"

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Exactly.

I'm of the opinion we should be walking, not running toward driverless cars.

The intermediate step that Ford is ignoring is crash mitigation. Before we go full no driver, let's get cars helping humans avoid collisions, like Tesla's prediction system. Then we can extend it to AI taking over control if the driver does not react quickly or correctly.

Once that is perfected, AI will be ready to get it's fill license and drive us by itself.
edit on 4-4-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

When it comes to big business I just don't give over my intellect and trust them
Remember VW?

Sept. 21,2015
Volkswagen Uses Software to Fool EPA Pollution Tests
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: eventHorizon
Find it difficult to understand what so cool is there in self-driving cars.
My guess, not a lot.

For starters, Uber wants to get rid of drivers, have its own fleet of driverless cars, and keep all the revenue and profits. Same with other parts of the 'transportation industry' like delivery and trucking. Personal self-driving vehicles are incidental - just part of the strategy for 'acceptance by the marketplace.'

As always, it's all about the money. aka profits.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
The EU's massive taxation of foreign car imports especially from the US and from Russia is contrary to WTO regulations and will lead to the shut down of the WTO.
How come that all of a sudden, with such historical high quality cars produced in Europe, they have to tax them so heavily. I mean just as an exmple.... How can Dodge or Chevrolet, compete with the high-end quality of European car manufacturing and sports car style? How could a Russian Aton Viking compete with European SUVs, or how could possibly chinese city cars compete with European city cars ?

Everybody knows that's impossible ... isn't it?
Or maybe is it time that somebody replaces this supposed "EU quality" and maybe charge 200% taxation over import of FIAT, VW, BMW, Mercedes etc. ... just a guess?
It's weird being a EUrosoviet isn't it?
edit on 26-9-2017 by Flanker86 because: c

new topics

top topics

join