It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13th dynasty pyramid found at Dashur

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

“The remains of a 13th Dynasty pyramid have been discovered by an Egyptian archaeological mission working in an area to the north of King Senefru’s Bent Pyramid in the Dahshur Necropolis.

Mahmoud Afifi, the head of the ancient Egyptian antiquities sector at the antiquities ministry, announced the find, adding that the remains are in a very good condition and further excavation will take place to reveal more of the structure.

Adel Okasha, director general of the Dahshur Necropolis, explained that the portion of the pyramid uncovered so far shows a part of its inner structure.
Source (English)

Additional photos here - note: Arabic language site; translation software in your browser works well, however.

I can't make out much of the text (there's something about a festival on there), but I note there are several royal names (cartouches) - so this one could well be a game-changer in Egyptology. The 13th Dynasty occurred during the Middle Kingdom but there's a lot of speculation about dates - this should help put together details on one or more of the kings. The necropolis at Dashur was one of the great necropolises - it's south of the Great Pyramid but near the Bent Pyramid built by Sneferu.

There's a number of pyramids at Dashur but they're not in very good condition.

Also notable is that it was found by an Egyptian team under an Egyptian archaeologist - because Egyptians had few opportunities to go into this field (a real irony... rather like finding that Germans or Russians or Chinese were the experts in American archaeology.)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Looks more like some sort of temple than a pyramid from the pictures.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Nice find Byrd.
S&F.
Seems things have been a little quiet on the archeological front this past year, hopefully this is the beginning of some interesting finds or at least disclosure.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfzilla

Very true, I don't remember the last time I heard of a major archeological find.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfzilla
Nice find Byrd.
S&F.
Seems things have been a little quiet on the archeological front this past year, hopefully this is the beginning of some interesting finds or at least disclosure.

Actually, no. If you're on the mailing lists, there's weekly finds in Egypt and daily finds around the world.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: smurfzilla

Very true, I don't remember the last time I heard of a major archeological find.

It's more that people would rather hear about the Kardassians and sports.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Well we don't here. Thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

13th Dyn pyramid?? but wouldn't that make them Hyksos??..if so wow, they would be more Egyptianized than I thought, I mean I knew they took on local names and titles, and elevated the god Set but they may have seen themselves as Egyptians. If they were indeed Hyksos.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

13th Dyn pyramid?? but wouldn't that make them Hyksos??..if so wow, they would be more Egyptianized than I thought, I mean I knew they took on local names and titles, and elevated the god Set but they may have seen themselves as Egyptians. If they were indeed Hyksos.

Possibly. Dashur is south of Cairo, so if it's late 13th dynasty then it might be. But if it's earlier, then it isn't. I can't tell which king is mentioned in the inscription.

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

This is a bit off topic but did you catch this yet... 26 m plank belonging to a second boat attributed to Khufu found near the GP?

www.ibtimes.co.uk... =rss-inner&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

I saw it come by on the email server, but didn't read it. It's been a heck of a week.

top topics

join