It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV experiment - are you brave enough??

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
this is the great pity Bordnlazy - it seems the only people with real interest in this experiment are those who do not watch much tv. perhaps the rest are too far gone

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I guess Us all non-tv people(more like ex-tv addicts)Know how our lives and minds have changed since we stopped watching tv.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
ahh - that reminds me that it's time to give the participants a prod again for updates

you know, i think i would have got the same amount of volunteers if i'd said for a week only.

does anyone else find it scary that so few people are willing to give up tv for a short while?

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I'm a psychology and sociology student. U2U me what you aim to get from this study, etc, then I can give it to my tutors and they might let me do it in the class and feed back to you? Your choice, but I might be able to get a few people who are wiling to do it in the class. But, I can't ask without giving the info to the tutors.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
It's probably been 30 days since I've watched TV. I have cable, record shows on my Tivo but just don't watch them. I haven't been big on TV for the past few years. Since I've never been big on TV, I would probably throw off the experiment. I always thought of it as a waste of time, although I apparently am glad to waste my time on the internet.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
does anyone else find it scary that so few people are willing to give up tv for a short while?

But what else would they do with their time???

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
i'll try it, since i have tivo. Which is an answer to prayer. But if i didn't have that I dont' think i could survive. I 'm too addicted to One Tree Hill and Desperate Housewives. OH and ALIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I consider myself prodded
so here is an update:

Weekends really do go on forever still - almost boring

I am really glad I got rid of the thing TBH and can't imagine buying another one again - so I guess you could say it's been easy.

I have found myself getting up REALLY early at weekends - this weekend for example I was up before 7.30 each day - there's a lot of old-folks at the supermarket at that time BTW - don't old folks need much sleep or something? It was a weird feeling to have gotten up, have done the weekly shop, been down the gym, washed the car and it's only 10.30!!!!

I have a wierd need to 'go outside' now, dunno why, it's a bit like when you're a kid and want to 'go out to play' (I prolly sound nuts..) so I've taken an interest in the weather.

I can often 'beat people' to the news of the day e.g. someone will start a sentance like 'did you 'HEAR' something about the thing with the presidents pet budgie' and when they are searching to recal the details of the news item, I can leap in with the facts. It's as if they only have a vague idea, wheras I have read all about it - I think that must mean that if you READ something it sticks in your memory better than someone just speaking at you - come to think of it, I guess that's obvious really...

My car is REALLY clean

Oh yes, I notice myself getting sleepy at weekends around 3pm - now I know this is a natural biorythm thing but now there's no TV to 'get through it' I succumb and 'have a nap' hehehehehe - how wierd is that! - mind you I think plenty of famous people swear by sleeping twice a day - thankfully this does not happen at work!!!!

Well that's all I can think of at the moment

Toodles

posted on Feb, 21 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
excuse my ignorance, but what is tivo?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
it is still a great pity that a few more members here could not take a small amount of their time to maybe learn something about themselves and the world around them. it's not just the discovery channel that could teach you something you know!

Hello all.
Just thot I'd check in on howitz goin.

Here's my interest:

Turn off the tv for a month. Go to news compendium sites on the web to get your news. Do your own analysis on the big issues (many of which the mainstream media barely even covers). You will be blown away at the end of the month regarding the general lack of knowledge from those who get their "news" from the tv talking heads. (The mainstream media is 2-3 weeks behind on covering what's really going on.) I say this as someone who's in the belly of the beast. TRY IT! You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Here are some excellent compendium sites:

www.whatreallyhappened.com
www.truthout.org
www.informationclearinghouse.info
www.antiwar.com
www.rense.com
www.commondreams.org
www.tompaine.com
www.copvcia.com
www.questionsquestions.net
www.prisonplanet.com
www.guerrillanews.com
www.blackboxvoting.com
www.counterpunch.org
www.onlinejournal.com

Check 'em out. I guarantee you won't have any further use for mainstream "news." The paths of inquiry are also endless. Good luck, all.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Hello EastCoastKid. nice to see someone checking up to see how its going

i browse around loads of sites for a variety of news, but i do like ATS for that & the fact i can comment on it if i choose. theres always an interesting variety of stuff here thanks to the diligent members who post it. i can pick & choose what i find interesting as opposed to being told what the news is with bias (& i dont have to sit & listen to the entertainment or sports crap that pervades it nowadays)

i think more and more people are using the internet for news source nowadays. newspapers are yesterdays news and you can find out whats going on in the world at any time rather than wait till the 6 o'clock bulletin or whatever.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Colour me OH SO SURPRISED. Didn't tune in the Scott's, 8 days now, with one day of playoffs gone, finals tomorrow. Why am I surprised? I didn't miss them. I followed along in the paper all week but didn't need to tune in. What's up with that? Read 2 Stuff mag's this week, beauty timing that I got last month early in the week, this month Friday. Brook Burke
Anyways, going on course tomorrow and I plan to reread Wizard and Glass. I just found out that there are 2 more Dark Tower books. How the hell did I miss that?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Hi Intrepid. thanks for checking in.

I am reminded of that scene in 'one flew over the cuckoos nest' where the tv is switched off as punishment and they can't watch some sporting event, so jack nicholson's character resorts to... using his imagination. perhaps that is the hold that books can have over tv in that it is up to you to 'see' what is being described and mostly, when a book is turned into a film, you will always hear people saying it wasnt as good as the book. the upcoming film of the davinci code will be a perfect example of this as everyone i know who has read it is horrified that tom hanks is to play the lead role.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Has anyone seen that cable commercial that begins with a young boy watching tv in his living room.. then follows him through the course of his life? In every scene, as he moves through the doors of his life, there's always a tv on.

It's pretty much true and that way with most Americans. Imagine if tv was not the central part of the American life. What would it be like?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You wanna talk about how powerful tv is? Let's talk about the moon landing. Everyone in the world watched it on tv and everyone in the world became forever sold on the notion of US space supremacy. TV was key in that. I've come to disbelieve that we actually landed on the moon. I think it was a big psych-warfare victory for us in the cold war. Without tv, what would the impact of the moon landing have been?

If you want to discuss it, here's my thread on it.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
...for some reason, time goes way faster.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I thought that I wouldn't be able to get over my TV addiction. I felt like crack addict that had to get my fix. It was crazy. However, when I moved into my last apartment in Nebraska, I opted to not get cabe. The only time I used my TV was to play games or watch a DVD. I found that I had a lot of time to do other things. About 14 months later, I moved to Okinawa, which is where I currently live. I choose not to get cable here is either cause the choices here are so limited. I think yet get about 8-10 channels here. If you get cable off base, you get 1 (I think) American channel and 5 or 6 Japanese channels. So it's been a while since I've had cable. Not watching TV is liberating in a way.

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
i've already done this experiment. i've been repetitively conducting it year after year.
sometimes i do watch it. maybe every once in a while i'll actually watch a tv show.
results: 1. i enjoy whatever, if any, shows that i watch.
2. i feel more "on the ball" in conversations i have.
3. my marks have gone up. and being 21, and feeling i've had to struggle for anything over an 80 whilst tv was part of habit, and now not watching tv equals marks never below 88, shows me that my high school years were way too clouded by tv and other mechanisms of habit and de-acceleration of the brain.

although, i still totally conclude that tv isn't generally a bad thing. but being addicted to it is. i am the anti-anti-anti-televisionist, who has some visions sometimes. and tv is like pot smoking. you can reap the benefits of it by not doing it all the g0ddamned time, and too much CAN be bad for you. unless you're a hippy... who likes tv more than the average bear. or unless you're a television personality... or unless you don't care enough to believe it's CAN be bad for you.. so generally speaking, there are reasons behind the possibility that too much tv can not be bad for you. i just don't know of many aside from the above said.

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Christ_v2]

[edit on 28-2-2005 by Christ_v2]

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Checking in again. It's been since the superbowl.

Firstly, I must say that the biggest overall improvement has been in my sleep. I fall asleep very quickly, which I have NEVER been able to do.

Second, I have had much more time to read. I always have been an avid reader, but it was usually limited to small amounts each night before I went to bed. Now, I can plow through books very quickly.

Third, I definatly am missing out on some things. For instance, when my beloved 76ers aquired Chris Webber, I didnt know about it for a whole day (this never would have happened had I been able to watch sports center
).

posted on Feb, 28 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   
i came across a good post about the effects of tv from Kinglizard here - www.abovetopsecret.com...

very interesting

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join