It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV experiment - are you brave enough??

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Still in the game

Some differences in behaviour/observations:

Starting to enjoy finding the news from different sources/points of view, rather than being fed the same patronising, incincere gloop as everyone else. Are there any newsreaders under 50?

Discovered blogging

Decided that time spent listening to polatitians was a complete waste as they are less interested in making worthwhile change and are just after an applause (i.e. personal gain). Realise now it's irrelavent who is in charge as taxes/oppresive laws will never ease off.

Feels like there are an extra couple of hours in a day

The car is clean (inside too)

Havn't eaten any fast food (not sure if this is related though)

Mind seems to naturally wind down in the evening rather than being 'kept alert' by the box

Can't participate in those conversations at work which begin 'did you see' which is ironic considering watching TV is an anti-social activity.. have to say however that the content of those resulting conversations are usually trivial and un-interesting anyway (soaps/reality programs etc.)

Go outside more at the weekends

Weekends go on Forever

Laundry all done

How is everyone else doing? JustyC?

[edit on 12-2-2005 by NoTV4ME]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
hi notv4me. thanks for checking in.

i'd be interested in knowing more about your thoughts on the news seeing as you are now 'seeking' it rather than being 'told' it from 'aged' presenters i.e content, relevance, bias, was that actually 'news', what differences you perceive between tv source & other source etc.

have you discussed your part in the experiment with those who you hear talking about what was on last night & if so, what is their reaction?

i'm not sure how the others are doing yet but i hope they can check in soon and let us know how things are going.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
OK the news:
With the net there is no 'fanfare' announcing the beginning of the news i.e. 'PAY ATTENTION' (loud music with swirling corporate logos etc.)

News searching comes from within i.e. from your own particular/specific interests or whatever is on your mind at the time. News programs on the TV are announced in simplistic terms i.e you easily understand everything they are saying so there is nothing to question - I suppose you could say it's perfect!. What I mean here is that you are not being educated or encouraged to expand your vocabulary or question a meaning or reason why something happened.

A news program lasts 15 minutes/half an hour but you can get all that info and more in just 30 seconds on one screen of a news page on the net.

Other peoples' views:
Everyone at work knows I no longer have a TV (have found out there are a couple of others too). There has been no adverse reaction to this. The responses are usually either a sombre expression, slow shaking of the head followed by 'I couldn't do that ' or they ask 'so what DO you do then?'

Justyc - I'm curious, what is your interest here - are you collecting this information in any proffessional capacity (as your questions are quite specific) and are you also abstaining?

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoTV4ME
Justyc - I'm curious, what is your interest here - are you collecting this information in any proffessional capacity (as your questions are quite specific) and are you also abstaining?

my interest comes from having read about this experiment many years ago and thinking that this would be the perfect place to try it out after reading EastCoastKid's thread ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ). do we control tv or does it control us? i think too few people have actually thought about the implications of that statement and what it means.

ive never owned a tv & never will. therefore i make observations that others for whom tv is a major part of their lives would never notice or think about. i am not saying that tv is evil or anything - it does have it's place & usefulness, but in my eyes it also has control of peoples lives which is a very dangerous thing imho. and for those who think it doesnt, then again, i repeat my challenge for you to find 3 people to do the experiment.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
i make observations that others for whom tv is a major part of their lives would never notice or think about.

I can understand this but what would be a good example (that I could use if/when defending my noTV habit?

Would this be one:

The point of view of another country on our home events i.e. as I live in the UK, news about our royal family is not as 'colourful' as overseas broadcasters as they are not party to our censorship laws

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
When I was a baby, my mom did use the TV as a babysitter and it did become my friend. When I was in my 20's I caretake land for 10yrs. With no pluming and no elec. No TV for 10yrs it had it's good points and bad points. I would say about even as far as what I did or did'nt miss out on. Is it about addapting with or without TV. and what the differance is? Macleana

[edit on 12-2-2005 by macleana]

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by macleana
Is it about addapting with or without TV. and what the differance is?

i'm not asking anybody to give it up forever - only for a month & even then, only one person must stop watching it fully while the others (which it appears i still have no definate volunteers for) must either watch picture or sound only.

there are a few things i could say about the reasons for each but would rather leave them till the end of the experiment.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Not missing TV at all, until now. Bought my first magazine in a year 2 days ago, Maxim, what else.
Tonight I'm too tired to read or post much. Too early for bed. YIKES.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Bought my first magazine in a year 2 days ago, Maxim, what else.
Tonight I'm too tired to read or post much.

i'm not gonna ask WHY you're so tired after buying Maxim

thanks for checking in Intrepid.

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm giving up TV for lent, but I decided it doesn't include DVDs or video games.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by invader_chris
I'm giving up TV for lent

LENT - a period of forty days where christians usually give something up in imitation of jesus's 40 days in the wilderness, and feel good about it afterwards.

FEBRUARY - a month consisting of 28 days (depending on leap years), the shortest month of all and the best time to have done this experiment.

such hardships we endure in these times...

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
so hows it going then volunteers? hellooooo? is anybody there?

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 02:48 PM
link   
yeppers, still don't miss it - was keen to hear from the others too

Can't see myself getting one again any time soon - would regard it as an act of failure.

Still proud to be a non-watcher and have definitely become a more sociable person.

I don't know if it's all the reading on the net but I am sleeping more and suprised myself today at work when I yawned (after someone else did) which I hadn't done for ages - realised at that point that was something I used to do often.

I do wonder sometimes, just how much people are being told on the TV news because if I discuss a certain item of news and I have a more in-depth knowlegde than them (not always I admit) because I happen to have read about that event/news from different perspectives, I'm aware that they will look at me as if I had made it up! because they were not told that part so it can't be true because surely the news reporter would have mentioned something that significant. (I hope this makes sense)

I catch myself saying 'were you told that on the news'? sometimes

I am concerned how these recent reports of Iran and thier apparant nuclear capabilities are/will be portayed by the media in the western world and is this a repeat of Iraq? and why do we never see images of Tehran city where 15 million people live - is it because this would 'humanise' the Iranians and make it harder to justify an attack?

Oh yes - and I ramble on a lot more these days....

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoTV4ME
Oh yes - and I ramble on a lot more these days....

i think you will find that is called 'conversation' - something i find very difficult to have with regular tv viewers (unless of course they want to tell me what they watched last night).

i am glad that you have taken this experiment seriously and are noting the things occuring to you or that you are observing, be they small or large. if i still have other volunteers participating (i know you are busy Intrepid but....) please note that the regular documenting here of how the experiment is going was a 'requirement' of the experiment. your thoughts, effects, observations etc. like a 'diary' as someone else put it, it keeps a regular track of any and all points for discussion at the end which you may not remember by just summing up at the end of the month.

it is still a great pity that a few more members here could not take a small amount of their time to maybe learn something about themselves and the world around them. it's not just the discovery channel that could teach you something you know!

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
No TV, no problem. Oops, read the sports page today. Problem. The Scott Tournament of Hearts is next week. That's the Canadian women's curling championship. I love curling, what do you expect, I'm Canadian.

I'll try to be strong but it's pretty hard getting the gist of a curling match from the newspaper.

Aside from that, TV is pretty much a non-issue.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Hi Intrepid. im sure you must have a friend somewhere who can tape it for you to watch at the end of the month

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Sorry for the lack of feedback on how it is going for me.

Firstly, I definatly fall asleep better. This is significant for me, because as I have said, I have insomnia and usually require pharmies to get some decent shut eye.

Second, I do listen to some of the audio (with no visuals) and I must say, the majority of it sounds sooooo stupid. You would be surprised on how much the visuals "drown out" the audio. I have listened to a few shows that are supposed to be funny. You would think this would still be the case as most jokes are dialogue (I know that has to be spelled wrong - my brain is mush right now), but most werent funny at all.

Third, I get much more exercise. I usually have time for very little cardio, and concentrate mostly on lifting (yeah, I am kind of a meat head - LOL), but I have had time to run/swim every day now.

Lastly, I have noticed I eat much less. TV has this quality of inviting you to eat while you sit because your hands are free. Reading/typing on a computer does not present this opertunity.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Hi American Mad Man - thanks for checking in.

Glad to hear you are sleeping better

A lot of people probably thought what is the point of only watching or listening to the tv but until you actually deprive one of your senses of either and concentrate on the other, you will not notice how different an experience it is. you also become aware of things you would not have noticed before.

it would be good if we had a volunteer to do the picture only option but it seems to be too much for most people to handle
is there still not ONE more person out there who would do this for the benefit of ATS members and the spirit of exploration of themselves?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Lastly, I have noticed I eat much less. TV has this quality of inviting you to eat while you sit because your hands are free. Reading/typing on a computer does not present this opertunity.

Good call, I hadn't noticed it but it's true.

Same here.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I used to just watch tv with the picture only . and i actually found it somehow comforting when i would be reading or writing something with just the picture on. I don't know why it was, i found myself only watching things that were bright, Sitcoms looked the best for some reason. I haven't tried it with only sound, I don't really watch tv anymore. Maybe i'll watch a half hour worth every two months. Wish i could try this experiment but then that means the tv might suck me back IN!

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join