It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV experiment - are you brave enough??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'm still here and no TV for me - a month will be easy peasy - Right, off to the gym now

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
i hope you know that americans (hehe) are ADDICTED to tv...

the world today has been told that tv and other electronics are necessary to live a good life...

whoever does this sucessfully is amazing in my eyes...

i had a friend who didn't have a tv and i was shocked (see what i am saying)...

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
i hope you know that americans (hehe) are ADDICTED to tv...

it isnt just americans who are addicted to tv - it's the whole world it seems!

don't believe me? then wherever you are...i challenge any one of you to find 3 people to do this experiment for 1 month !

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
OK people - someone man up. It's 30 days. Are you that weak? Does something a simple as a TV have that much control over you?

I tell ya, it's one big pacifier. When you don't watch tv, you don't even miss it. That is, if you have any semblence of a life or the slightest bit of creativity.

Uncle Sam & his media mogul buddies sho do have a lotta folks by the nodes. How sad.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I know watching movies on TV is verboten, but what if you rent them and watch them on your VCR, or DVD player? I looked for that part in this thread and didn't see it, so does that count as "watching TV"? Or is it just movies played on TV stations that we can't watch?

I think I'll try to give it up for Lent (not that I'm religious, its just a good amount of time to give something up) No more Simpsons for me for 40 days.

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by coney
I know watching movies on TV is verboten, but what if you rent them and watch them on your VCR, or DVD player? I looked for that part in this thread and didn't see it, so does that count as "watching TV"? Or is it just movies played on TV stations that we can't watch?

I think I'll try to give it up for Lent (not that I'm religious, its just a good amount of time to give something up) No more Simpsons for me for 40 days.

i guess that depends on whether you substitute your evening programmes for as many films as you can fit in. Is it so difficult to do without either for a month, which is NOTHING really! try going out to see a movie instead

as for the simpsons... i'm sure you can catch the repeats hehe

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I'm right here, no tv since the SUPER Superbowl, helluva game. Wish there had been more of a running game though. The approach I will be taking is NO tv at all. If there is a program that the family wants to watch and can only be had on the living room tv, the only one with digital, I will not watch. I will get the sound though as it is in the same room as the computer. Otherwise ZERO tv. To quote Mortal Combat, "It has begun".

posted on Feb, 7 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
thanks Intrepid - let us know how you get on.

remember folks - only ONE person has to give up tv totally - i need 2 definate volunteers to try tv with picture only or tv with sound only - how hard is that?

who's volunteering for either then?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
What I have found is that watching TV alone is more depressing that with someone else, as there is some possible interaction outside the broadcast with them, much like information technology.

It seems harder for most people to accept this experiement as the benifits are not balanced on both sides of the valued results. Lifestyle preperation and understanding from others sharing the television set, who may seem opposed, are required before starting.

Naturally, I don't think anyone can just stop watching, without any sort of planning, though I wonder whether it is easier than a food diet, for example. You can't start eating like crazy after the diet, so why go back to watching the TV like last week?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It seems like people want to make this really complicated. I'm telling you from experience, all you have to do is not turn the tv on. It's really that simple. You will figure out the rest as you get there. You can find something better to do with your time, I promise. People get over it and figure out what else to talk about, I mean you might run into conversations about real life for once.

Originally posted by spadesy

What I have found is that watching TV alone is more depressing that with someone else, as there is some possible interaction outside the broadcast with them, much like information technology.

It seems harder for most people to accept this experiement as the benifits are not balanced on both sides of the valued results. Lifestyle preperation and understanding from others sharing the television set, who may seem opposed, are required before starting.

Naturally, I don't think anyone can just stop watching, without any sort of planning, though I wonder whether it is easier than a food diet, for example. You can't start eating like crazy after the diet, so why go back to watching the TV like last week?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hey i'll join in your experiment. No problem at all. I dont really watch it much anyways as i get all my media off the net. I only ever turn it on when there's sumthin interesting on (BBC and Channel 4 sometimes do interesting documentries) , but apart from that all my films and TV programs are downloaded.
TV is usually terrible here in the UK and we have a real problem with soaps which has reached epidemic proportions. It seems that 90% of britain is happy watch hours upon hours of garbage like eastenders and corrie every week. Its an addiction worse than tobacco if u ask me as all that seems to happen on these programs is a bunch of neurotic morons start fighting over complete trivialities for half an hour. Every week the front page of our tabloids and TV mags are always reporting on the latest fight/argument/divorce/murder/suicide that happened last night on the soaps.
You cant even escape it if you turn off the TV. As soon as i go to work or college it can sometimes seem like i've accidentally stepped onto the set of a soap. People just cant seem to tell the difference between TV and reality.
Worst of all is if you dont keep up with our great british pop-culture, say for some reason you dont want to devote your entire life to football or soap-opera's, then you are immediately labelled a "Freak!"
On the conspiracy side of things this seems to me like cultural/social conditioning at its worst. So yes i will gladly participate in your experiment not only for a month, but ten years if required. Although i cant see it having any noticeable effect on me as i normally avoid the thing anyways.

Peace!

[edit on 8-2-2005 by lost_soul]

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
thank you for offering to participate lost_soul. i am hoping you will pick option 2 or 3 as i still have no definate volunteer for either it seems.

somehow it seems easier for people to say they can switch a tv off but can't seem to be able to sit in front of it for the amount of time they would normally watch it for, but without picture or sound and to record their observations.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
how about going without the computer for 1 month?

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Checking in for the first time....

I have upheld my pledge of no TV thus far. I have honestly been "tested" twice, once was a review of the superbowl on sports center, the second was a news program I could hear was on from another room.

I wanted very badly to just sit down and watch them but refrained.

I have had no changes in how I feel physically. The only thing out of the ordinary was I was able to fall asleep very quickly monday night (I have insomnia and usually require meds to fall asleep quickly after getting in bed).

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
thank you for offering to participate lost_soul. i am hoping you will pick option 2 or 3 as i still have no definate volunteer for either it seems.

somehow it seems easier for people to say they can switch a tv off but can't seem to be able to sit in front of it for the amount of time they would normally watch it for, but without picture or sound and to record their observations.

I will take the oe where I may listen to TV, bt can not watch it - #3 I believe.

posted on Feb, 8 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by blanketgirl
It seems like people want to make this really complicated. I'm telling you from experience, all you have to do is not turn the tv on. It's really that simple. You will figure out the rest as you get there. You can find something better to do with your time, I promise. People get over it and figure out what else to talk about, I mean you might run into conversations about real life for once.

If one were to go on a diet on the drop of a hat, they may not be succesful as if it were planned. If this experiment were presented better, then I wouldn't be so complicated, and there would be many more partticipants. There is no hypothesis or structure, so really it is a challenge with a diary. I'd like to know what people expect, before they start, and what to expect during and after.

It's very easy for me to turn the TV off, and I don't watch many broadcasts, anyhow. Most of the time I just hear the sound and when news breifs are on, I find them more disturbing to listen to than watching it.

Though my point is that I don't think one should be in control of a household appliance that is shared. So in that case, presenting this idea to other members of the household requires planning, so that it is done in an orderly fashion. The focus of the experiement, as it seems, is not for self improvement, but to inform others of the experience.

Making excuses, as it seems, is better than deciding without the understanding of others under the same roof. The last thing I want is fighting over TV rights.

[edit on 8-2-2005 by spadesy]

[edit on 8-2-2005 by spadesy]

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spadesy
If this experiment were presented better, then I wouldn't be so complicated, and there would be many more partticipants. There is no hypothesis or structure, so really it is a challenge with a diary. I'd like to know what people expect, before they start, and what to expect during and after.

if the point of the experiment hasn't been understood yet, then i suggest reading EastCoastKid's thread ( www.abovetopsecret.com... ), where i originally brought up the idea, and this one again. it was only 'started' after the superbowl finished because of the members that said they would participate after it was over - this experiment can be done by anybody at any time.

there are many points that could be brought up about it, but it would be better to bring them up at the end of the experiment. reaction to the experiment can be just as educational as the experiment itself.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
hmmm. did all the volunteers give up already or are they busy having lives? if you're still participating, please keep us all updated

Ric

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by superdude
Interesting indeed. Funny thing is, that before I was married, I didn't even own a TV. I never watched TV, except for sporting events at a bar. Never really was interested. I read alot, wrote quite a bit, played alot of guitar, and listened to music almost all of the time.
Now several years into a marriage, I still don't watch very much, except for The Simpsons - LOVE that show. Now that I have a baby, the only thing on is Elmo, Sesame street...etc..... I know the words to every freakin Sesame Street song ever.........
I can say absolutely that if I had no family, I would trash the TV.
I'll be interested to see what type of response you get here.

It doesnt really count seeing as the experiment is for people who are used to having their daily fix of brainless tv (and no that isnt an insult to tv buffs, its a fact). I mean they could get totally wired by the end of it, or maybe feel more satisfied with the things they do in their lives. In any case, life without tv isnt that bad, excluding the cinemas.

posted on Feb, 12 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ric
In any case, life without tv isnt that bad, excluding the cinemas.

indeed! and those that have already cut out tv from their lives have all reported it as a positive thing. im sure that if you asked someone to give up say, potatoes or salt for a month by saying it's bad for them you would get loads of volunteers but isnt it scary that here, of all places, there are so few people willing to take part?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join