It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV experiment - are you brave enough??

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
My question is, do you honestly have enough time to watch TV? Even if you were self sustained and didn't have to work. How could you get bored of reading, studying, meditating, writing, conspiring, taking trips, working out, etc. I barely get enough time to post on ATS. In fact I make it a point and clear time so I can lol. The point is, don't allow yourself to be bored, don't waste your time or give your thoughts away by watching what they want you to watch. From a conspiring point of view of course.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I can't, or else I would. I watch movies with my girlfriend way too much to stop watching tv for a month. I'm sure movies fall under the category

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Havent had a TV for about almost 6 months and I do watch my Twilight Zone COllection but I dont have cable and dont wanna waste my money on it. I think most channels suck, when I used to have cable I remember spending 10 min to 15 min everyday changing chanels from 2 to 60 and not finding anything that I liked so I thought what a waste of my time,
and the thought came to my mind to cancel cable so I did, and now i feel that I;m a little more open minded and talkative, basically seem to be happier and also whenever I watch My Twilight Zone Collection or play video games i alwasy look away from the TV when I turn it off, or when i turn it on. I hate the stupid FLASH and the sound whenever you turn it on and off.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm game, if it still must be done.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmut
I'm game, if it still must be done.

then you need to choose which category you will attempt and post it here with your start date. update the thread whenever possible with your observations and experiences. try and get some friends involved also.

perhaps other members here could join in also?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Im game for the no T.V. thing. #1, no tv whatsoever, no sound, picture, nothing.

I will start this weekend (want to squeeze in a few more hours). Im the type of person that has the T.V. on all day, literally! Albeit some of the time is spent on worthy things while it is going.

Ive been wanting to do this for a while, but just couldnt, and I mean COULD NOT, give it up. Addiction.

I figured not only would this qualify me for a good candidate, but I am also a college student and an athlete.

I am most interested in seeing what happens with my grades throughout, which may motivate me to stay away from T.V. Example: I had exams on monday, two of them. One for a biology class, one for a geography class. I had planned on studying over the weekend, saturday and sunday. One subject one day, one the next with review Sunday night before bed. However, I spent Saturday watching T.V., plus working 5 hours in the evening and figure, "Eh, I'll get everything done tomorrow." Well, I spent most of sunday watching T.V., plus work, and only got maybe two hours of studying overall, plus maybe one on monday morning. I even skipped some stuff! Although, I did get a B on one and low A on the other, I know that with more time I could get 100% every time. My GPA has been hurting lately.

I am an athlete. I am a distance runner for track in college on scholarship. I got lucky. I have been injured (or right on the edge) for about 2 years now. My times fluctuate sometimes 30 seconds for a 1 mile race, from meet to meet (about a week apart).
I have leg problems like no other. All this extra time could be used stretching, massaging, and napping (good thing to do after hard workouts) plus more sleep at night.

So to track my progress, I will state where I am now.
Have little time to study, let alone do homework, and struggle on tests. Grades arent what I would like them to be. Although my grades are a little more personal, I will include test results (and compare them to past ones from when I watched so much tv which some arent so good). I feel that I will make huge leaps in performance.

Track wise. I have struggled to get healthy, my coach can't figure out how messed up my legs are, my calves and quads are rock hard, literally. My legs are so fatigued and tight that during races, I feel like I should after finishing a race before I am even a quarter of the way there. I can barely walk afterwards. I plan on using extra time working on my legs (3 hours a night, for the whole month, and the sleep will help.) To base performance enhancement and improvement in health, I will inlcude something to base it off of. In high school, even with messed up legs, I manages a 4:34 mile Personal Best. My twin brother ran 4:25, i am as capable, but need to get healthy. That was almost a whole year ago. Last week I ran my first collegiate race, 1 mile. My time: 4:53. Slower than I have run since my freshmen year of high school. My twin brother ran 8:55 for 3000 meters last week, which is an average 4:45 per mile, right off where he was when he was healthy in high school (he has had some problems too but is getting along better than me). I am in better shape than I was in high school, but my legs cant handle the pace continuously.

So, starting next week, I will update as often as I can. I will record everything i can in a journal, and submit that here somewhere too for those that want to see the progression all at once. This will be in depth, the daily or weekly updates or whatever will be short like this: Studied 3 more hours a night. Get full nights sleep. Feeling healthy, etc.

So wish me luck in the weeks to come, I will have to struggle to stay away from the Simpsons and the like.

Peace

[edit on 20-2-2007 by lurkinginthedark]

[edit on 20-2-2007 by lurkinginthedark]

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I stopped watching TV about 14 months ago. Yes there's a few shows that I watch mainly on the Sci-Fi Channel (Stargate-Love It) But they yanked that from my home town cable (which is free at the complex I live in), but other than that, I would rather turn on the music and channel it through from my laptop to the stereo, maybe let the Visualizer pump through the TV. I mainly gave up because my work schedule changed from 8-5 to Noon-9pm, which then most good shows are well over with by the time I get home from work. You do get more things accomplished when the TV Box is off.

However, sadly, the Computer has taken over my TV time.
Mostly because I fell victim to the MMORPG fad that gets people into interacting with other people but more so on an intellectual level, rather than staring into a box with my head drooping down level. (Granted I'm still staring into a Box), but my brain is more interactive with the Computer Box verses just listening and watching the TV Box. But anything beats Commercials.

Now I'm struggling with dropping the MMORPG game (which is on it's 13th Expansion) to get back into the Real Life aspect of things... I won't go back to the original TV Box mainly because, you watch your favorite show for 8 minutes, then it's intermission time again for 5 minutes (rinse and repeat for 60 minutes). But the Friends I've made around the Globe in the MMORPG is the only thing that makes me log in at night, verses sitting in-front of the TV Box. - Is it the same? The answer is yes. Except without Commercials or Barney telling my kids how to misbehave.

Sometimes I wonder if we could have a global power-outage that hits home Computers and TV's only.

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
well done lurkinginthedark. im looking forward to reading your journal entries.

the simpsons will still be there in repeats and dvd in the future but if you want to make something of your future you only have this one chance with your education NOW! carpe diem!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have been without TV service for over 3 months. This thread is what popped the thought into my head and made me realize I do not need it.

I hardly watched it. Only for the 'news' and the weather.

Here's an email I wrote to a radio station regarding TVs now becoming normal in Canadian bedrooms:

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2007 8:56:21 AM
Subject: Charles Adler Radio Show

Hello!
I'm Charles' producer. Can you join us today to talk about your email?
Hoping for 3:30 EST (Toronto time)?

Peggy Chapman
Senior Content Producer
Adler On Line with Charles Adler
Corus Radio Network
www.charlesadler.com
Vancouver CKNW - Kelowna AM1150- 610AM Radio NL Kamloops, Saskatoon 650
CKOM, Regina 980 CJME - Calgary AM, 770 CHQR - Edmonton 630 CHED,
Winnipeg CJOB 68 - London AM980 CFPL, Cornwall AM 1220 - Wingham CKNX
920, Hamilton AM900 CHML, Toronto AM640 - Montreal AM940
905-521-2319

HE EMAIL BELOW WAS SENT VIA A FORM ON THE CJOB.COM WEBSITE FROM : ([email protected])

----------

Good day Charles,

This is regarding the show you did yesterday (Dec 6) indicating that
more people now have televisions in their bedroom.

About 3 months ago I canceled my TV service, because all I would watch
is the news and the weather. I would occasionally watch an hour long
show, if I had the time.

Since canceling my service, I have been getting my news from the
internet. News that I would never see on any Canadian station.
Documentaries about geo-political events, the financial system and how
debt is pushed on us, global warming (real or fake), nature,
consciousness and others.

I also find myself more focused in my busy world of IT technology, not
missing TV at all.

I have 2 quotes I would like to share with you from the Simpsons (funny
enough, a TV show I used to watch)

1. Bart is trying to imagine a field trip that doesn't include going to
the box factory.
"class, instead of going to the box factory, we'll be going to
the..... box factory...." which leads to Bart saying "damn tv
ruined my imagination, just like it ruined ... um.... uh.... "

2. Homer secretly referring to his TV "wife, mother, secret
lover".

Many people are so hooked on their shows, on gossip, on game shows, on
cooking shows, more and more channels, TVs in our cars, kitchens,
bedroom, and soon to come, bathrooms?

TV started out with lots of potential, however it no longer belongs to
the public. All TV stations in North America are owned by the big six -
General Electric, Time Warner, Disney, Newscorp, CBS, and Viacom.
www.freepress.net...

Do you think any of these companies will show all that is really
happening in the world? Only if it benefits the shareholders... not the
viewers...

I urge people to google anything that is shown on our news networks
here. You might be surprised how much more there is to the story that
is not released here.

Thank you

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I havent watched Tv in maybe 2 months, never recorded any changes though because i was never really glued to it in the first place. It dosent interest me that much...I play alot of video games and a read a fair amount of classic literature to keep my imagination going.

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join