It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1177 BC: The Year Civilization Collapsed

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Hi Ancient & Lost Civilizations Guys and Gals, yes it's a video and not a nonsense vid but a lecture by Dr. Eric H. Cline a Professor of Classics and Anthropology and the current Director of the Capitol Archaeological Institute at The George Washington University. so he is legit I haven't read the book as I just became aware of him through the vid.

while I know as much as the average layman of this era, I never put the entire pieces into context to call the period following 1177 B.C a true dark age, yes I knew that once you get to Ramses XI things were not going well in Kemet popularized by the novel Year Of the Hyenas, social upheavals , they lost their holdings in Kush with all that gold, plus the great fortress a Buhen to an increasingly resurgent Kush.
Then there is the tale of Wenamun a diplomat and trader who was robbed and beaten of his possessions, stands humiliated before Phoenician ruler, who insults him even more.

In the morning then I rose and went to the abode of the prince, and I said to him: "I have been robbed in thy harbor. Since thou art the king of this land, thou art therefore its investigator, who should search for my money. For the money belongs to Amon-Re, king of gods, the lord of the lands; it belongs to Nesubenebded, and it belongs to Hrihor, my lord, and the other magnates of Egypt; it belongs also to Weret (wArtj), and to Mekmel [mkAmrw), and to Zakar-Baal (TAkArw barA), the prince of Byblos." He said to me: "To thy honor and thy excellence! But, behold, I know nothing of this complaint which thou hast lodged with me. If the thief belonged to my land, he who went on board thy ship, that he might steal thy treasure, I would repay it to thee from my treasury till they find thy thief by name; but the thief who robbed thee belongs to thy ship. Tarry a few days here with me, and I will seek him."
www.reshafim.org.il...

Gone were the days when kings of that era, had to do some serious booty kissing to make nice to Egypt's rulers.

To the King my lord, my sun, my god, the breath of my life... your slave and dust under your feet. At the feet of the King my lord, my sun, my god, the breath of my life, I bowed down seven times seven times. I heard the words of the tablets of the King my lord, my sun, my god, the breath of my life, and the heat of your slave and the dust under the feet of the King, my lord, my sun, my god, the breath of my life, is exceeding glad that the breath of the King my lord, my sun, my god has gone out to his slave and to the dust under his feet. Who is your servant but a dog? and they prostrate themselves before the Pharaoh Seven times and seven times on both back and belly.
www.reshafim.org.il...

But folks generally blamed the Sea Peoples or drought for the down turn in events and diplomatic relations , Professor in the vid lecture put everything on the table, including climate change and a series of earth quakes resulting in mass movement of people and internal revolts in these Civilizations , he also put to rest the idea that the Thera eruption was the original culprit as waay too early.
Pls I recommend the vid and will get the book..

edit on 2-4-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
One other thing, he draw some interesting parallels to events happening today, so close it's kinda scary with ISIS , refugees and climate driven cause for the Syrian civil war.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I like the fact that he has new ideas of what happened back then. Some of his ideas actually sound more believable than what has been accepted as real in the past.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I like how he alludes to the fact that we have all the prime ingredients for another collapse in civilization coming soon

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Enjoyed the class thanks for posting it for us. I personally believe the middle east has been this way for thousands of years and in comparison yes the verge of collapse but not civilization. At one time they were central to the civilized world, but I believe they are and have been the center of the uncivilized part of the world for many years. The fear is if the uncivilized of parts of the world spill over into the civilized world such as Iran developing the hands of God.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Greece collapsed (well, it wasn't Greece at the time) as well. The city states decayed, and slowly reformed with what seemed to be different pottery (the golden age commenced immediately after).

I've wondered what did it.

ill watch the vid when im alone.

new topics

top topics

join