It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical: What Should the USA do?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is a hypothetical situation. What should the USA do if Mexico and Canada were taken over and occupied by Russia and China (with the help of the EU); and were making noise over their displeasure with the US government's policies? Those policies would include the array of mid-eastern & Asia policy, nuclear agreements, immigration, trade and economics.

Don't say that would/could never happen. Just imagine that it did. I'm looking for thoughts from across the ATS spectrum.

Hypothetical situations may sound crazy, but they are simply what ifs..

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Bad hypothetical question. The USA already governs Mexico and Canada. Thats why Russia and China arent there already.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   
The U.S. would go to war before these powers could ever get entrenched in those neighboring countries.

For a historical perspective look up the Zimmermann telegram.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Bad hypothetical question. The USA already governs Mexico and Canada. Thats why Russia and China arent there already.

There is no bad hypothetical situation. It's hypothetical. What should the USA do if that happened?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think that with all of the intelligence nocs we have, we would be aware of an impending takeover and launch a preemptive strike. This is when WW III begins.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Guys if you havent noticed his hypothetical situation is designed to get you to look at things from Iran's perspective, probably with the intent of getting a "the us would invade or bomb them" comment.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Guys if you havent noticed his hypothetical situation is designed to get you to look at things from Iran's perspective, probably with the intent of getting a "the us would invade or bomb them" comment.

Really?! Surely you jest

I think this was identifiable from the start. But this was not a question of allagory now was it? Just stick with the facts and give an answer for them. What do you think would happen?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
This is a hypothetical situation. What should the USA do if Mexico and Canada were taken over and occupied by Russia and China (with the help of the EU); and were making noise over their displeasure with the US government's policies? Those policies would include the array of mid-eastern & Asia policy, nuclear agreements, immigration, trade and economics.

Don't say that would/could never happen. Just imagine that it did. I'm looking for thoughts from across the ATS spectrum.

Hypothetical situations may sound crazy, but they are simply what ifs..

Well Mexico has as far as I can remember always spoke out against us but have not been a direct threat to date but if both flanks hit us all when can do is Hypothetically grab our knees pull our heads in between and kiss our butt goodbye cause our world support is to low to expect the overwhelming aid we would need to defend ourselves, and Canadian opinion of Bush in fact since the war has shifted to the public and some of the parliment accusing the President of war crimes. So despite the fact the UK has a great pull on Canada I dont even think they will go there against Canada, in fact isn't Canada one of the UK territories or something.

[edit on 2/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Guys if you havent noticed his hypothetical situation is designed to get you to look at things from Iran's perspective

What are your suggestions? Afraid to take the bait?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Well if this situation actually happened i would
1) Be really pissed off the democrats were the majority party again.
2) Get my guns head north or south wait
3) spraypaint the word "wolverines" on walls.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I take your comments to be humorous. This tells me, you don't like the question b/c it would cause you to see things a bit differently, no?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

WTF man. Cant you go one post without bashing? How would event make the Democrates the leading party agian? What if it happened tomorry? would you be pissed at Bush for allowing it?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Not really.
I just dont take hypotheticals seriously when they are this far from reality.
You see ECK contrary to what you may want to happen, this never would.

link   

I like the Red Dawn reference and what is sad is it might just work , but in that context we have a Governor in California who played a Russian speznatz in Red Heat is he going to join the Russians?????? Sorry just couldnt contain it sorry for allowing my insanity to overflow .......LOL

link   
I think Iran should nuke Paris then we can nuke Iran. Kill two birds with one stone.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

WTF man. Cant you go one post without bashing? How would event make the Democrates the leading party agian? What if it happened tomorry? would you be pissed at Bush for allowing it?

Because only the dems would allow this scenaro to develop.
If under republican leadership China, the EU, or russia even tried to set foot in North america, or south America for that matter we would respond with all of our military might immediately.
The dems would still be waiting for UN permission when the chinese reached omaha.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
What should the USA do if Mexico and Canada were taken over and occupied by Russia and China

This is difficult to consider, because the US response would be full scale nuclear strike to prevent it from happening. If the US were somehow magically prevented from doing this until after the invasion, the US response would be a full scale nuclear strike and military invasion to throw out the occupiers and attack them at home.

If the invasion of canada and mexico happened in such a way that it was more or less acceptable to the International Community, ala afghanistan and Iraq (acceptable insofar as no one went to war over it), and even the US didn't think war was worth it to prevent or undue it, then I suspect that the US would either remian blind to the danger of being flanked by aggressive expansionists and effectively do nothing, or, reasonably, suspect that the US is next and start mobilizing its military.

Lemme take a wild guess;
'why shouldn't iran do the same'?
Indeed, why shouldn't they? Iran is quite right in thinking that they need to defend themselves from the US, both diplomatically, econimically and militarily. They are in a 'unstable' position. By opting to develop nuclear weapons, I beleive that they , reasonably (but not definitely correctly) think that the US is going to invade them next.

However, there are some things that speak against this. If they were convinced that they were going to be attacked, why didn't they really oppose the Iraq war, and why didn't they make common cause with, if not hussein explicitly, then the iraqi people? Why didn't they go to war with the US, rather than allow the US to install an army and supportive government on yet another flank? Why do they also continue to trade Oil with the Western World? If an Enemy of the US was doing to mexico what the US did to Iraq, the US would attack. The only reason I can think of for not attacking, when you are convinced that you are in danger, is that you might think that having a nuclear bomb will deter the enemy from invading, or that you might think that, at least if you hold off til you have a nuke, you can kill more of the enemy with one, inspite of ultimately loosing the war yourself.

Now, can we consider the converse of your position? In your hypothetical example, should the occupiers of canada and mexico sit back and wait for the US to ready a nuclear arsenal? What if the occupier has no actual plan of invading the US, but is fearful of the prospect of the US developing/readying a nuclear arsenal? What if the only thing that the occupier will consider as trigger for a 'preventative war' (ie starting the war) is if the US readies/build a nuclear arsenal?

Now, I think that Iran is a clear danger to the US. The People that are in charge of hte military and most of the government representatives are also fairly convinced of this.

If you were iran, would you build a nuke? Or would you give full and unfettered access to your nuclear plant (which you are claiming is only for energy production purposes)? If you are walking down the street, and a gang of thugs pulls out a gun and says 'gimme yo wallet', do you bite down your pride and give in, or slowly reach for your gun?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I am surprised more people haven't responded to the situation. Its a perfectly valid question. From the iranian perspective, what choice do they have? The US certainly wouldn't stand by and let its neighbhors be taken over by a diametrically opposed enemy.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Because only the dems would allow this scenaro to develop.
If under republican leadership China, the EU, or russia even tried to set foot in North america, or south America for that matter we would respond with all of our military might immediately.
The dems would still be waiting for UN permission when the chinese reached omaha.

And only Bush would lie and let thousands of our troops die for an illegal war. Your statment is your opinion. My statement is a fact. Just stick to the facts please. You are just demonstrating who is really causing the political rift in this country.

[edit on 2/2/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If its a fact then prove it.
If you could hell if anyone could, Bush would be impeached.
If he had lied and ther was proof Kerry would have used it.

[edit on 2-2-2005 by mwm1331]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join