It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No way it is coincidence that morality is not taught in schools, Universities

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
Congratulations,now what are you going to do about it?This is a fine beginning.

There is nothing that can be done. If presidents can't even grasp this concept, than the common man in the US is hopeless.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LesterJust

I went to a private Catholic school, and I remember being taught manners and respecting my teachers, parents the elderly etc... When a teacher would walk into our classroom, we would all have to say good morning Mrs. or Mr....
I was taught respect at home and my mom always taught me to give my seat to the elderly, open doors for them and for women. I still go out of the way and do those things. Not only does it show respect, it makes a person feel good inside.

To give you an idea how well we were trained in my private school, there was an incident that happened when I left my private school and started to attend 6th grade at a public middle school. (I really hated my private school because we had to wear uniforms, go to church every morning, and deal with some nasty wicked nuns, lol). Anyways, we were always taught in my private school to stand when responding to teachers questions and giving our answers. Well, it was my first day in my public school setting and my science teacher asked a question to our class. I raised my hand, she called on me, and I stood up and gave her the answer. The class went silent and I looked around and everyone was looking at me like I was from another planet! The kid behind me was snorkeling trying to keep himself from laughing. The teacher than told me, I didn't have to stand when giving her an answer. Since than, it felt so weird not standing up because we were trained at such a young age, lol.

In some respects, some kids are not taught morals in their home. Some parents today are worse than their kids! I really think it's important for young kids at an early age to be taught basic morals in early elementary. It gets them in the habit of being polite, respecting people and being considerate to others.

What's wrong with that? Good morals actually go a long way on the job, in public settings and with family.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesterJust
No way it is coincidence that morality is not taught in schools, Universities

And neither should it be!

From a religious Perspective (and a dictionary), 'morality' is judging people/stuff as 'good' or 'bad/evil'!
The egoic 'sin' of Pride!

This is exact manifestation of the stolen Fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (Sin of Pride/judgment) in the Garden!

As a Xtian (or any other religion), we are warned against 'judging' others;
"Judge not lest you be judged!"
Such judgment (good/evil) is the sin of 'pride'!
'Pride' is the only sin (from which all others spring), yet the hypocrites flaunt their practices, joyfully, proudly, in the face of their god!

You are told that;
"If you judge, judge with righteous judgment!"
Yet goes on to say that;
"None are righteous, no not one!"

The last thing we need to learn is government schools is 'morality'!
One can learn such sin in any Xtian school! *__-

Perhaps you are thinking of 'ethics', not born of conditional ego/vanity, but of unconditional Love;

"Do not do to others what you don't want done to you!"

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
We are a lost civilization and don’t know where to go. We don’t know what we know nor do we know what we want to know. A civilization of creature comforts and entertainment for some and survival for most.

Ask yourself if they were to teach morality in our educational institutions what they would teach

A religious based morality, an ethics based morality, a civics base morality

A Masonic base maybe, Wicca

New Age, Hippie

Do we have a clue?

Right now they teach a loosely based “freedom or democratic morality of some sort.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

That's not some kind of exclusive religious moral, though. As I've mentioned before on here, I also attended a private (Christian) school in my youth. No behavior was "taught" or modified, everyone kind of came in with pre-existing Yes Ma'am/Sir, No Ma'am/Sir, Thank You/No Thank You Ma'am/Sir, Good morning Ma'am/Sir manners back then.
Pounding in standing when being addressed was not on anyone's radar. Raising one's hand is a pretty well established universal cue for requesting permission to speak. Standing to do so isn't really manners, though. It's just a variant of the delivery aspect when being granted permission to speak & that school didn't do that. You could if you wanted to, but it wasn't expected of us.

Now, had any kid just butted right in and yammered away, that would have been considered immensely rude by ALL cultures that attended that school (this was in Asia, BTW, school for foreign students) No given religious or cultural dogma has any kind of monopoly on manners & morals. We all share some rather common baselines.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The morality I learned in school is something one can label immorality

In the cloak room who had the biggest Johnson

Who had the most woman

Who had the Johnson and Murphy’s on and who were mocked to tears wearing Thom McCann’s.

No…education in our society in fake formal attire, fake manners, and fake learning.

Unfortunately I had the Johnson and Murphy's until I left school and learned about reality

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I took a "Business Ethics" class in college. There are also other "Ethics" related classes taught in universities, including this course in "The Politics and Ethics of Statecraft" that I found on Harvard's website (HERE). And though I never took any "religious studies" classes in college, I'd guess that some of them teach morality according to various religions.

For the record, ethics usually refers to "right & wrong" in relation to an external set of rules, be it laws, religious teachings, etc. Morality usually refers to a person's individual beliefs of "right & wrong" regardless of an external source. What kind of classes could they actually teach on personal morals? Once you say "follow your own heart/beliefs/gut", you've pretty much covered all of it. Everything else is just personally rationalizing a decision or feeling.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

My daughter had one lesson where she was denied a field trip over religion, while a similar trip was approved for a different religion.

Wait. Wait....what?

Sorry for being late and interrupting this conversation, but -- what?
If you've already described and explained more about it, please point me to that post.
Quite an alarming claim.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Anyway, yeah, I see that this particular thread (cruise into the internet) is not something I'm willing to experience from start to finish, but - in passing, I just want to say that the recent maneuvers to ELIMINATE "Liberal Arts & Sciences" and "Humanities" from the first two years of college, to cease funding NPR and any sorts of Arts or Western Civ or history appreciation, to demonize the institutions of higher learning....

is something that I take as a very grave threat to our civilization.

These movements are horrific. They are damnable. They are appalling. They are NO LESS EGREGIOUS than the ISISsholes destroying Palmyra.

What the hell is wrong with people?

STEM is great. Liberal Arts, Humanities, Public Libraries and media are all CRUCIAL to keeping us grounded.

Good gawd. This country really has jumped already. We are plummeting. Am I the only one who sees this?
Posterity save us!!!!

edit on 4/2/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

originally posted by: jkm1864
People learn morality from their fathers belt and it's been that way since the beginning of time but We in our infinite wisdom have told the fathers to get lost.

"Do as you will" new life motto. The kids learn from TV and video games and it is against their rights to tell them something is right or wrong.

You can believe what You want but My daughter listens to Me because She has felt the sting of My hand on Her backside. I am not an abusive parent either because I've only whipped Her like 5 times in 12 years but She sure as hell listens when father raises His voice.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: ketsuko
Some people automatically equate them to religion because religion traditionally was the place where they were taught, but as many atheists so proudly announce ... you don't NEED religion to be a moral person.

You don't, and I am not an Atheist.

So whose morals do you follow then ?

edit on 2-4-2017 by ParasuvO because: Too many Amaimons

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep
You know how you're driven to be sarcastic when you see something that threatens your way of thinking?

No, not really, maybe you can explain how you feel when you do that.

It is considered fornication because our body's belong to God - we are supposed to take in his spirit (as the Church/Bride) and do his will.

Sorry, I don't need the Church to have any influence in my life to practice morality. Neither do I need to adhere to some dogmatic system of belief that requires you to recognize 'ungodly spirits', the belief in which somehow permitting 'spiritual fornication'. If it works for you, awesome, but this type of religion-heavy system has no place in school being force fed to children who are not yours.

But you have no problem with force feeding of other nonsense that does not fit the traditional "bad christians" scenario.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bleeeeep
It's not about needing church - it's about needing God and being Church.

What you're preaching is the same thing Diana preached, right? Is that who you worship? That's the same spirit you're following.

I don't worship anything, dude. God doesn't need some groveling, sniveling, obsequious toadies in my opinion.

It's not new to preach liberty from God.

I'll tell you what isn't new, people advocating the adherence of their personal beliefs to others, which is a hallmark of the religiously indoctrinated.

It is the absolute hallmark of masonry as well...a boring and antiquated system that leads to nowhere.

Those that insist that questions need not asking or any rules yet enforce rules and standards..are funny.

Luckily in this round it will be deleted along with its Creators.....

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Western values have been thrown under the bus by reletavists and solipsists to accommodate their own guilt. Unfortunately it had the effect of becoming a dogma.

Please explain what you mean. I would love to share your enlightenment.

They created a new religion and claim vociferously that it is anything but.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

People learn morality from their fathers belt and it's been that way since the beginning of time but We in our infinite wisdom have told the fathers to get lost.

"Do as you will" new life motto. The kids learn from TV and video games and it is against their rights to tell them something is right or wrong.

You can believe what You want but My daughter listens to Me because She has felt the sting of My hand on Her backside. I am not an abusive parent either because I've only whipped Her like 5 times in 12 years but She sure as hell listens when father raises His voice.

I think you answered the wrong person I am in accord with your view.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

According to you, what is more important: morality or reason?

If you cannot decide absolutely one over the over, show a percentage indicating each one's importance.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

If you need school, particularly college, to teach you right from wrong you are pretty much royally effed to begin with.

Exactly this. Morality comes from those who wish to pursue being right to others, not to complain that it was not taught to them.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
But you have no problem with force feeding of other nonsense that does not fit the traditional "bad christians" scenario.

Which nonsense is AM supposedly force-feeding to others?

Apart from pudding. Everyone loves pudding.

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: noonebutme

originally posted by: booyakasha
School teaches the bare minimum and blatant lies to keep the war machine turning.

Lies such as...?

Name 5.

Growing up in the early 70's to the 90's all my education consisted of cognitive bias; painting all the forefathers did in a positive light in history and social studies/science we were awesome to the natives yee haw lets make hand turkeys and draw cornucopias in celebration of that great slaughter you mean to feast on a turkey right? No I mean like a pack of wolves seeing everything as a bounty to them in slaughter and domination over a people that lived in balance with the land not in decimation and destruction of anything and anyone they came across to plant flags of ownership over people and places as conquest.

That sort of business instilling a fake blind patriotism the same as all little religious books for children have nothing but smiling happy white people strutting around like they own the place. Looking at the above and the crusades?

Yeah... cognitive bias to grow into a mold of perverted illusions instead of one of truth... wanna talk about fake news? Fake history or at least one sided enough to instill that oh so important patriotism as an excuse to keep killing and hating everyone and the instilling of greed and teaching that ignorance becomes required as an excuse to keep on teaching it as truth when it isn't, the agenda is just to keep those systems going.

What that does? Make everyone live a lie.But so cognitively dissonant that they take it as truth being taught it was real and truth when it wasn't.

Wanna know what columbus thought when he first encountered natives? In his Log he wrote: 13 October 1492
I wished to give a complete relation to your Highnesses, and also where a fort might be built…. However, I do not see it to be necessary, because these people are simple in weapons…. With fifty men I could subjugate them all and make them do everything that is required of them.

They dont tell children that columbus was there to enslave and kill everyone in land grabbing for the throne... and that they did. Narp turkey dude we all ate together and that was that.

edit on 3-4-2017 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp. and extra

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ParasuvO
So whose morals do you follow then ?

Many people's, beginning with my families.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join