It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Computer is Downloading Old Email Non-stop Where Are They Coming From

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This has been going on for over two days. I still get normal emails mixed in, but these old emails, now date back to December 2015 never stop. They are coming through my DSL connection. It I turn the modem off, they stop. If I turn it back on, they start again.

These old emails are coming in bold type face which in my Outlook means that they have not been read by me. In the beginning, my out-going emails were intermixed, but I don't see them anymore.

This seems to be something exterior to my machine unless it went haywire and can call these email from some storage place. I don't knowingly subscribe to any "cloud" outfit. Any suggestions?

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Did you recently backup an Iphone or do something on Itunes on your computer.
Stupid crap like that can happen with Itunes.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Nope! Nothing unusual going on here.
I like to blame some alphabet agency or another.
Originally, I had 6.99GB of data backed up now it is down to 2.45GB.
My connection is via AT&T DSL and goes back a good many years. Evidently my whole history of received emails is coming. This computer which is about four years old. The total number of emails at the beginning was over 12000 and I don't email that much.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Take a look at this link, someone else had the same issue
Thousands of old emails

This was taken from that link:

To stop receiving the same emails again you can follow the steps suggested below:
1. On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.
2. Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click next.
3. Select your ISP account, and then click Change.
4. Click More Settings.
5. Click the Advanced tab, and under Delivery, ‘uncheck’ the Leave a copy of messages on the server check box.
6. Click OK, and then click Finish.
You can also select one of the following options:
§ Remove from server after x days: E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but remain on the e-mail server for the number of days that you specify. This is the most common setting for people who want to read their messages at work but also download them for permanent storage on their home computer. We recommend that you choose the smallest number of days that suits your needs. The longer you leave messages on your e-mail server, the greater the risk of exceeding your mailbox size quota.
§ Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items’: E-mail messages are downloaded to your computer but also remain on the e-mail server indefinitely until you delete the e-mail message in Outlook and empty the Deleted Items folder. Just deleting the message doesn't remove the message from the e-mail server.
edit on 2-4-2017 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Thank you! I appreciate that info and will check out the solutions you have offered!

The people of ATS comes through again!

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

That same thing happened to me when I switched over to the iPhone 7. It took several days for me to go through them and delete them all something like 75,000 emails.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Ummm...just a Lil reminder from your friendly neighborhood NSA...that the real juicy stuff is theirs for the blackmailing...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Oops. Maybe your computer has been compromised by the Russian hackers to download emails from a government server and it will redirect them to another location shortly. I suppose that the men in the big black suvs will be knocking on your door shortly.
Just kidding, I haven't got a clue, but it appears your computer has been compromised.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
install Ccleaner and go to "tools" then "startup" and then look at each of those tabs to see what is schedule to run when you start your computer.....especially under "scheduled tasks".

you can disable or remove many items. If i dont know what something is i just disable it until i have time to research what it is and does....

you will NOT break your computer by disabling anything on the list.....although some normal things might not work right.

give it a go and get back to us....

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Being busy with other things, a couple of hours ago I went into Outlook and had no difficulty making the changes you suggested. Now, a hour later, the machine is still downloading my emails.

It says it has only 765mg to go and it started yesterday at 6.99gb, 12k emails. Maybe when it gets done downloading those it may be done. Perhaps i should have restarted my computer once I made the change and it would have enacted the change I made. I'll do that now.

Thanks again for the instructions.

ETA: Yep. That was the solution, which you sent as the first reply to my thread, and restarting stopped the downloading.
edit on 2-4-2017 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Sounds to me like your browser is infected. Copy your favs and completly uninstall, registry your browser. Remove from programs, go to search and enter regedit. At top select edit, then find, then type in the name of the program you want to remove and click find next. You can continue on asking regedit to find other instances of that program in its database. Edit, Find Next...

Once you get your browser off the system do a restart. Then run a full virus scan. Use a strong one like HitmanPro until you can come up with a good browser that respects your privacy. I use Vivaldi but its a work in progress...

Download Spybot Search & Destroy from Safer Networking. Run it and remove viruses.

If the system seems to be running healthy and fast again, run a junk file cleanup program. Like the other poster said CCleaner is good. Also RegScrubXP and

BW.

top topics

join