It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting BBC Article discrediting conspiracy theorists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:22 AM
link   
BBC News Article

Hi all,

Hope my link works ok - not used to starting threads.

I found this BBC article today, and just found some of the journalism a bit dubious and the whole message of the piece to be rather muddying the waters, but undeniably casting doubt on conspiracy theorists in general and anyone who may question MSM.

The whole article is wrapped up with the Sandy Hook hoaxers, Alex Jones and Infowars and Wolfgang Halbig (someone who I wasn't familiar with before I read this article tbh). Sandy Hook is a very emotive and controversial event, so this guarantees a response from people - as well as connecting this to Donald Trump.

I find the article interesting in its timing given that the headline doesn't particularly relate to the content - this is not really a response to a new event as such and is not therefore news - but instead this is more of an editorial piece attacking conspiracy theorists, associating conspiracy theorists to Donald Trump and throwing in stuff about gun control, false flags, 9/11 and 4chan for good measure.

Wondered if anyone else had any thoughts about the timing - whether this is an attempt to stop conspiracy theories before they start about Westminster attack maybe? - or whether this is just some lazy journalism clickbait from the BBC?

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
"We" have been proven right far, far too often to be dismissed. Matter of fact I come here first for news in the morning and just have "news" channels on in the background.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: MRM13

The BBC makes some great wildlife documentaries, but when it comes to current political events, I personally learned a long time ago, never trust a word they say.

Besides that, it's a pointless story anyway

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   
first what is a conspiracy theory?

who defines it?

who has the authority to tell everyone else what it is?

who gave those people the authority to tell us what it is?

what is the argument they are making and is it logical? is the premise sound? is the conclusion sound?

next...

what is discredited?

who decides how something is discredited and upon what basis?

what are the criteria for concluding that something is discredited?

so many questions to ask and im barely getting started.

be skeptical, ask questions, trust nothing but sound logic and reason.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I think it's just a comment on the collateral damage some conspiracy theories can cause , for those who lost loved ones at Sandy Hook conspiracy theories about it are a continual turning of the knife from an event that was all to real for them.

Lenny Pozner has been targeted because he's fought back against trolls and conspiracy theorists who make sweeping and false allegations about the murder of his son. "Noah was just a regular six-year-old child," says Lenny.
"I dropped him off that morning - it really was an ordinary day of getting the kids ready for school. "Then an hour-and-a-half later it was just the worst nightmare. Worse than any nightmare I could have imagined."

There are sick people out there who feed on this stuff and have no respect for those involved in what was an horrific event , how much pain would it cause you to be told by a random internet user that the tragedy that took your child from you never happened and then have it repeated over and over.

I think it's a valid article and those involved need to step back and take a long hard look at themselves and their actions.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
There might be something to it....at least with extreme case examples.

I have, over the years, met several people who were so hard-line into the conspiracy angle that they quite literally had lost touch with all semblance of reality. These are, of course, extreme cases, usually persons with an obsessive and unhealthy fixation on horrible, horrible fears and speculations.

However, subject matter that gets lumped in with CT such as Bigfoot, UFO's, Elvis is still alive, etc....tend to usually attract "out of the box thinkers", and it's more benign in it's manifestation within the collective community.

The real clue to going off the wire is when there is no longer a healthy sense of humor left in the individual and everything becomes "connected" in a way that makes them difficult to be around because they are so fixated on "the horror".

edit on 4/2/17 by GENERAL EYES because: i was abducted by grammar nazis from space.....amended spelling error

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies

Gortex and general eyes, you make some really good points that I suppose I had overlooked - some individuals can become obsessed and harass these families and that's certainly a very valid point.

I suppose it's just the way that the article is presented that annoyed me. It doesn't necessarily acknowledge all of the nuances of conspiracy theories and the communities but just that all of this is fake news.

I can't imagine what Lenny Posner and others have gone through (I certainly don't want to get into a discussion about Sandy Hook's validity), but yes hoaxer videos, harrassment and allegations must make this much, much worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I haven't watched the link but might do .

If they are picking apart AJ that's fine , he rambles on far far too long , gets himself into his own holes , gives the whole CT thing a very bad rep, all on his own .

What you really should watch is the documentary film called 'Hypernormalisation" which is available on bbciplayer now .

It's riddled with conspiracy theory , presented as fact . I haven't watched it all yet (2 and a half hours long), but can guarantee it's a must watch for anyone on this site .

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   

maybe we are yet to see the reason they are trying to say conspiracy theorists are bad and have to be stopped,
the BBC have likely a load of skeletons still to escape there filthy cupboards.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

You surely know what is behind such an article? A damper must be put on all of wild thinking growing out there in the hinderlands about breaking away from the EU and such.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Wrong title. The article is NOT about silencing conspiracy theorists. It is about a group of people whose children were killed and the conspiracy theorists harrassing these parents with threatening behaviour. The parents want Trump to do something about this harrassment.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
In this upside down world, it does look like a plug for Alex Jones. When the establishment says 'don't look there', for anyone stating to wake up it gives them somewhere to look. Alex is doing some good work these days.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Great points.
A question in a similar vein is "Who fact checks the fact checkers?"
a reply to: tribal

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Thats interesting because even academia believes in false flag operations and "conspiracy theories".

So much so, that they coined a term for it:

State Crimes Against Democracy.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

but undeniably casting doubt on conspiracy theorists in general and anyone who may question MSM.

See how they do that, its guilt by word association, programmed into our minds by repetition.

Placing two words together in terms to elicit a response:

conspiracy theory, any conspiracy is only a theory...

gun crime, all guns are associated with criminal behavior...

Islamic terrorist, all Muslims are terrorists...

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
You've got to laugh at Alex Jones, everything seems to be a conspiracy... except of course if the theory is anti-Trump, then it's crazy talk!

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Just listened to it. As I am not American I had no idea that so many people are involved in denying things like Sandy Hook took place, and that the level of appalling abuse the parents of the victims have to put up with.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Just listened to it. As I am not American I had no idea that so many people are involved in denying things like Sandy Hook took place, and that the level of appalling abuse the parents of the victims have to put up with.

There were enough for threads on here at the time questioning if the events at Sandy Hook really happened. In fact it got so bad that I think the subject can no longer be discussed? I might be wrong, but it all got a bit silly.

Critical thinkers have been proven correct on many things over the years and the MSM narrative has been proven wrong. However, in this instance not only have the parents had to deal with the way their children were killed, but also take abuse from a bunch of people who are not happy with how the event was portrayed and what the ramifications of such an event could have on their rights to own and carry guns.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I agree with what you wrote, but there are certain facts about this theory that leave me questioning what really took place. There are so many inconsistencies in the official story that could be so easily answered that it leaves me in doubt about what really happened.

Having said that, I think you'd have to be quite overly involved if you were involved in stalking the people of Sandy Hook, etc.. At the same time, this article states so matter of factly that the incident did occur as the official narrative states that it is clear the author has no real interest in the truth.

I believe the real reason for this article is completely political. It is a hatchet job on Trump and "fake news." It is a self-preservation piece.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
BBC January.
Sources confirm FISA warrants have been issued with Trump as the target and it makes him look guilty.

BBC now.
Sources confirm Trump was never the target of a warrant that would be wrong.
edit on 2-4-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join