It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-virus ....which is the best - 2017

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Anti-virus software changes from year to year.
We've run Avast for a few years now and I am not really crazy with the 2017 version.
Thought about making a change last year, but the new version seals my decision.

Please don't bother with the Windows Defender/Essential thing, as we have Updates turned off.

What are your favs?
Which are the best, in your opinion?
Which take the least amount of resources, and still keep you safe.

Running Win 7 and malwarebytes.

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I've used Avast for years , it's never let me down which is all you can ask really.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   
There are several strains of "AIDS" viruses that attack your computer's anti-virus software.

For Windows O/S, I like Microsoft Security Essentials. It runs at Ring-0 and had less footprint and steals less bandwidth than other brands. Plus it's free. Just go to:

www.microsoft.com/security

and search the web page for the free download.

edit on 1-4-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typs

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I have been using linux mint and get rid of windows altogether, it is a good easy to use package for getting into linux. Can also dual boot if there is some windows software you need at times, Install windows first before linux, less issues that way.

If you get right into linux there are some light, fast and resilient setups. No need for anti virus.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: kwakakev
I have been using linux mint and get rid of windows altogether, it is a good easy to use package for getting into linux. Can also dual boot if there is some windows software you need at times, Install windows first before linux, less issues that way.

If you get right into linux there are some light, fast and resilient setups. No need for anti virus.

You just need a PH-D in computer science to understand the Linux documentation. Other than that it's great.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The general reply is and always will be that theres no 'best' AV as whats good today could be a POS in a few weeks.

Doesn't matter what type of OS you run you should have at least some AV/Anti Malware protection as no one will thank you for passing some email with a dodgy attachment around etc.

A bit of being proactive when it comes to being aware of threat sources etc can save you loads of trouble.

As for needing a PHD for Linux generally its pretty much rare for the average user to do much under the hood if its set up properly.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Over the years, I've used more than a few...and upgrades and changes over the years have made them less than desirable.
Avast is pretty good, I don't even mind much they always try to sell their premium stuff.

Used Avira...isn't that the umbrella one for several years.....but suddenly, it would not update easily.
Used ZoneAlarm.
And AVG.....don't remember liking it much.
I've heard good things about Webroot....but it is not free.

SIGH

Also, it has to be really user-friendly.
I don't want a lot of crap to have to set up.
edit on Sat Apr 1 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: kwakakev

I've been wanting to try Linux for quite awhile now.....guess I am a bit afraid to check it out.....but someday.....

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Here's one I've never tried.
Bitdefender
www.thebalance.com...

ratings
www.av-test.org...

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

User Rating 4.5 stars

Malwarebytes

download.cnet.com...

I also use Spybot - Search & Destroy

download.cnet.com...

Has worked well for me the last couple of years. Best combo I have found for virus and malware protection.
edit on 1-4-2017 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I use Kaspersky... I like the product and it seems to work well for me.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I use Vipre. Small footprint and doesn't get in the way. Lifetime license for all computers isn't very expensive. Automatic updates and scans. Now I just forget about it.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I had a bad experience with Spybot years ago....isn't it the one with the TeaTimer ?

Also, I know malwarebytes is expanding what it does.....but it seems it's not really an AV app yet...

Put simply, Malwarebytes aims to protect you against all manner of malware, but common viruses and older threats aren't included. Their goal is to stay on the forefront and protect users from new exploits, trojans, backdoors, adware, and spyware. For everything else, you'll want a traditional on-access security tool.

lifehacker.com...
I'd love it if it was the only thing needed to keep my computers safe!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Yes... I had that issue before with teatimer. I only use it actively by launching it manually and closing it out when done. It does catch quite a few things that malwarebytes does not.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

i like to use F-secure its good and not to hard to use and iv had it for about 2 years

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
If you are not doing updates of the OS theres liable to be a time when the AV will be unable to work due to some API changes.

The fact that the core OS is not updated is probably more a threat than not having any AV at all.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Avast. I used the free version for years with no problems, and recently they had it on sale, so I bought the premium package. I really can't tell the difference.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

hmmmm, interesting.
So, if a person decides to keep say Win XP and Windows no longer supports it.....software won't work with it any longer?

.....thing is, Update stopped working.....Updates would not install...
I just gave up.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Anyone who relies on a single antivirus software is a fool.

I recommend NOD32 + Malwarebytes and any other you fancy.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: kwakakev

You just need a PH-D in computer science to understand the Linux documentation. Other than that it's great.

And none of the programs I need will work on it which is super helpful.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join