It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Never trust someone who has found the truth?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
"Never trust someone who has found the truth, only trust those still searching for it."

I live by those words. What is your opinion of the quote?

I picked up the mantra from Jordan Maxwell. He has a very simple reason for believing it. He says that there's more to any story than anyone can be aware of. In my experience, that is exactly right. The logic goes like this:

No one can ever know the full truth about anything. Therefore, no one who claims to know the full truth about anything can be trusted.

I believe that's a rock solid logical argument. It fits well with my belief that all we appear to live in slightly different alternative universes simultaneously. In other words, each of our realities may be slightly different. How certain can we be of anything in such a situation?

"Never trust someone who has found the truth?"

If you follow that advice, you can't trust anyone who believes in a religion in my view.

That means I can trust less than 20% of the human race. That sounds about right.
edit on 1-4-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
If you fall on hard times, find yourself the atheist soup kitchen then.

link   
By that erm... logic, would you say that Atheists are equally untrustworthy?

The capital-A variety are comparably certain of their beliefs in their own right.

link   

originally posted by: NthOther
By that erm... logic, would you say that Atheists are equally untrustworthy?

The capital-A variety are comparably certain of their beliefs in their own right.

Bingo.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Discussing atheism with people living in a spiritual pipe dream is like showing card tricks to a dog.

I agree with not trusting other peoples "truths".

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

"Never trust someone who has found the truth, only trust those still searching for it." I live by those words. What is your opinion of the quote?

Depends if its the truth or not.....

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

"Never trust someone

After 52 years, I've found that I can just put a period right there.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Truth is not universal...its far too subjective
One mans' truth is anothers lies
There will never be and can never be just "the truth"
Truth is based on belief and whatever shapes your belief shapes your "truth"
Tis complicated

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Just would like to point out you're believing a guy who doesn't even give you his right name (Russell Pine), to tell you whom to trust.
An Astro-Theologist and you turn around and make it into only Atheists know the truth? Or is it muslims? Hard to tell there's nothing with 20% in the diagram....

My suggestion would be attention to detail. Logic. That's at least two things you'd have to work on before you possibly can get anywhere near a truth of whatever kind.
Also friendly advice, if someone doesn't stand for something with his real name, he's probably a fraud.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

The truth is you don't need to trust anyone! but that is only part of the truth.
of course.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody

I agree with not trusting other peoples "truths".

Like the "truth" that God doesn't exist?

Why does your distaste for absolutism only extend to what you identify as religion, and does not include secular absolutism?

They can both be fanatical and dangerous.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

I believe that's a rock solid logical argument. It fits well with my belief ...

Said every person who had beliefs ever.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

If you fall on hard times, find yourself the atheist soup kitchen then.

I actually drove past one the other day. New joint downtown called "Food Stamps".

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Great OP.

How telling that so many are hanging scarecrows on your argument.

First of all, you didn't mention atheism at all in your post. You merely make a clearly areligious statement.

Jesus, Buddha, most teachers have always encouraged us to think for ourselves and discover life on our own, even discover "the truth" on our own.

Some folks are very threatened by that kind of freedom.

Therefore we see in response the tired pablum that only the religious are charitable, atheism is just a belief (it's not, it's a lack of belief), etc. etc.

The best comments here mirror yours. Use logic, reason and evidence to prove the realities of the world to yourself, and remain open to new information, concepts and understandings.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:25 AM
link   
True.

Arrogance is what one sees when they are looking at someone claiming to know and understand the truth.

The truth changes from day to day and is different from person to person excepting those self evident ones like you have to eat to live and you have to move around under your own power if you don't wanna get fat...Oh, and gravity.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   

If SCIENCE can't find it without constantly making errors and therefore advising us to live a fantasy until it discovers it made a mistake, then what hope do we have of discovering it in the subjective experiences of our chattering minds?

I am not searching for truth. I used to before I realized how futile that was.

I am keeping up to date with the experiences we have as humans. I see worth in the ancients like Aristotle, Jesus, Martin Luther King, Bob Dylan and you guys here, too, as well as over at The Guardian and a million other places and so many thousands of years.

A Super Computer will be much better at computing objective truth because it has the potential to experience subjectively reality in a crazily more infinite way than any single human brain.

However, this will only ever be able to be communicated to humans as much as our brains' volume and capacity to store and use information. Our little rams and hard disks are pretty low grade and I don't expect we could hold enough info. The computer will not know it because it has no will, individuality or subjectivity.

Even super duper computer can only work in this dimension which could so easily be a matrix of another dimension.

Truth? Only The Alpha and Omega Intelligence can claim ownership of that (if he/she/it even exists). Intelligence might so easily just be something that is a vain characteristic tool of humans for their survival and not at all necessary in the grander scheme of things.

edit on 1-4-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

originally posted by: Profusion

I believe that's a rock solid logical argument. It fits well with my belief ...

Said every person who had beliefs ever.

2 Corinthians 5:7 For we live by faith, not by sight.

Most people's beliefs are not based on logic.

"It fits well with my belief that all we appear to live in slightly different alternative universes simultaneously."

I'm not claiming that statement is truth. I'm claiming that it appears to be truth to me which could mean absolutely nothing, and I admit that. That is not the way most people use the word "belief."

originally posted by: PhyllidaDavenport
Truth is not universal...its far too subjective

In order for that statement to be true, it must be false.

a reply to: Peeple

You wrote that out because I gave credit to Jordan Maxwell in the original post? What was the point? Your post has no relevance to this thread. It's a classic example of the genetic fallacy.
edit on 1-4-2017 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Ummm...why not...you can at the very least trust that whatever truth they've found is true for them...

That's all that really matters...
Perhaps by listening to their version...their perspective...you might just learn something new that might be applied to your own life or to your own search...

Perhaps if people weren't so quick to invalidate someone else's experience or intuition and instead focused on their own path through experience...there might be less friction between individuals or groups...

Skepticism doesn't always have to equate to ridicule...

Just sayin...

YouSir
edit on 1-4-2017 by YouSir because: just because...

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Atheists believe that Gods don't exist for the same reasons you believe that unicorns and dragons don't exist. It has nothing to do with how trustworthy they are it has everything to do with the complete lack of evidence for such claims.

Atheism is not a claim that gods don't exist, it is a refusal to accept claims that gods do exist.
edit on 1-4-2017 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Bob Dylan and Jesus in the same breath?

The times, they are a' changin'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join