It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear Scotland,

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeathenJessie
Also, it's pretty dim of you to equate a referendum with a general election.

We have elections every so often because society changes as do policies. We have elections so that people can effect change within the system. Because sometimes, or a lot of the time, the elected leaders don't fulfil their promises.

We ha ve elections so that the power, in part, lies with the people, and we have some control over who controls our nation...what do you suggest, that we have one single election, and then whoever is in power appoints a successor?

The idea of a referendum is to ask a question where there are two potential answers, it's a yes or no.. it's not the same as an election,we can only leave the union once.

So we should only have to vote to remain once, it isn't the same. I find it telling that you seem not to understand the difference between the two...although I'm sure you do, just the usual mental gymnastics employed by those who ain't getting their way.

It's called democracy, 45% of Scots apparently don't like it....apparently they want some dictatorship where the government ignores and over-rules the majority. Also, they apparently want to have one single election whereby we elect a party and leave them to it...let them appoint their own successor, that's a great idea.

I think you should run for PM!

LOL

What part of people can change their minds is complicated? Or should referendum results be hiding for ever?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Scottish people should stop looking at the EU referendum as a scottish vote, it wasn't - the UK voted as a single entity...this was decided before the EU referendum when 55% of Scots voted to remain part of the union.

EU ref wasn't a Scottish vote.

It really pisses me off, that we have an ignorant and selfish 45% who believe they have more rights than the majority.

They pretend they're patriotic, yet they'd happily see the wishes of the majority be trodden on and ignored.

Westminster SHOULD block another indy ref, they'd be acting on behalf of the eloctorate if they did.

What kind of patriot doesn't respect the rights and wishes of 55% of the nation they pretend they care so much about?

Aren't people allowed to change their minds?

Why do we bother keep having elections? Should still have the Whig party in charge.

Who said people have changed their minds?

By that standard we should have a referendum every couple of years forever.

Tell me, if the nationalists finally get their way and win...will the unionists be able to call for an equal number of referendums to reform the union?

How many should we have before we decide enough is enough?

By these standars, if Scots get another referendum and win..that's two chances they were given...so we can then have two more referendums in favour of unionisation...fair's fair, right?

Who has changed their mind? I haven't...

Don't you think leaving the EU counts a major change of circumstances?

For who?

For pretty much everyone in the UK i would imagine.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvanB

She pursues her delusional place in history..

Fact is is Scotland voted to stay in the union..

And she would rather see every Scottish family under the cosh of a foriengn EU tyrannical state to further her OWN xenophobic aims and forget the Democratic will of the Scottish people who was fooled to vote for these fools

In a nutshell

Well said....

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:27 AM
link   

We have elections every so often because society changes as do policies. We have elections so that people can effect change within the system. Because sometimes, or a lot of the time, the elected leaders don't fulfil their promises.

We ha ve elections so that the power, in part, lies with the people, and we have some control over who controls our nation...what do you suggest, that we have one single election, and then whoever is in power appoints a successor?

The idea of a referendum is to ask a question where there are two potential answers, it's a yes or no.. it's not the same as an election,we can only leave the union once.

So we should only have to vote to remain once, it isn't the same. I find it telling that you seem not to understand the difference between the two...although I'm sure you do, just the usual mental gymnastics employed by those who ain't getting their way.

It's called democracy, 45% of Scots apparently don't like it....apparently they want some dictatorship where the government ignores and over-rules the majority. Also, they apparently want to have one single election whereby we elect a party and leave them to it...let them appoint their own successor, that's a great idea.

LOL

What part of people can change their minds is complicated? Or should referendum results be hiding for ever?

Well, what if we change our minds the day after a new prime minister is appointed?

You're basing this on the assumption that loads of folk have changed their minds...I can't see any evidence of that.

I see people using the outcome of the EU referendum as an excuse to force yet another Scottish independence referendum.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

She pursues her delusional place in history..

Fact is is Scotland voted to stay in the union..

And she would rather see every Scottish family under the cosh of a foriengn EU tyrannical state to further her OWN xenophobic aims and forget the Democratic will of the Scottish people who was fooled to vote for these fools

In a nutshell

Well said....

It was definitely nuts.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Scottish people should stop looking at the EU referendum as a scottish vote, it wasn't - the UK voted as a single entity...this was decided before the EU referendum when 55% of Scots voted to remain part of the union.

It really pisses me off, that we have an ignorant and selfish 45% who believe they have more rights than the majority.

They pretend they're patriotic, yet they'd happily see the wishes of the majority be trodden on and ignored.

Westminster SHOULD block another indy ref, they'd be acting on behalf of the eloctorate if they did.

What kind of patriot doesn't respect the rights and wishes of 55% of the nation they pretend they care so much about?

Why do we bother keep having elections? Should still have the Whig party in charge.

Tell me, if the nationalists finally get their way and win...will the unionists be able to call for an equal number of referendums to reform the union?

By these standars, if Scots get another referendum and win..that's two chances they were given...so we can then have two more referendums in favour of unionisation...fair's fair, right?

For who?

Exaclty...the UK - not Scotland.

The UK voted in the EU referendum...and they voted to leave.

So what's your point? The people are getting what the majority voted for...again, this is called democracy, it's not hard...is it?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   

LOL

Well, what if we change our minds the day after a new prime minister is appointed?

You're basing this on the assumption that loads of folk have changed their minds...I can't see any evidence of that.

I see people using the outcome of the EU referendum as an excuse to force yet another Scottish independence referendum.

We have pretty clearly defined rules for general elections. What does the UK constitution say about referendums?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Just to clarify...we can't both leave and remain part of the EU...you understand that, right?

That's the whole idea, we vote...and the majority wins. That's how it's suposed to work, yes leaving the EU is a big change, but it's a change that the majority were in favour of, hence the results of that referendum.

Scotland didn't vote as a single entity in that election...45% of separatists think that's the case becuase they still struggle to accept the outcome of a previous referendum.

They really don't like democracy at all, they dislike it so much, that these so-called "patriots" will happily see the majority be overruled in their favour...that's how "patriotic" they are.

Personally, all I see is a bunch of whiney, selfish people - but each to their own.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:34 AM
link   

a reply to: ScepticScot

She is not that popular now! Lol

Every news programme etc. that I have watched where the public are

interviewed I havent seen one Scots person interviewed who has the stomach

for yet another indy referendum.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

LOL

We have pretty clearly defined rules for general elections. What does the UK constitution say about referendums?

I suppose it says we should keep having them until the minority get their way.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:35 AM
link   

For who?

So what's your point? The people are getting what the majority voted for...again, this is called democracy, it's not hard...is it?

And the majority of Scotland voted to stay in the EU.

Given the magnitude of the decision do you not think democracy would entail at least giving Scotland the choice of what is more important, staying in the the UK or staying in the EU?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

LOL

And just to add - you were the one equating the two trying to make some ludicrous point, not me.

They're totally different, thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Denoli
All uk members should get a vote on weather Scotland stays or not

Should the rest of the EU have got a vote on the UK leaving?

Why? We can see why they need the UK. Look at the flow of all those billions of pounds from the UK into Brussels and subsidizing an entire economy of EU legislation compliance officers. Look at how our tax code has grown over the years:

Tolley's tax guide 2013 = 17,000 pages

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

a reply to: ScepticScot

She is not that popular now! Lol

Every news programme etc. that I have watched where the public are

interviewed I havent seen one Scots person interviewed who has the stomach

for yet another indy referendum.

Funnily enough we don't make major constitutional changes based on TV interviews.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   

LOL

Really? Where does it say that?

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

For who?

Given the magnitude of the decision do you not think democracy would entail at least giving Scotland the choice of what is more important, staying in the the UK or staying in the EU?

No...you're still looking at this situation from the persepctive of a Scot when you're British, that's the problem here.

You didn't or shouldn't have voted from that perspective, that wasn't the question - the question was should the UK remain part of the EU...not Scotland.

Why should England not get another vote, or Wales?

Why didn't we all vote as separate nations? The answers lies therein.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Denoli
All uk members should get a vote on weather Scotland stays or not

Should the rest of the EU have got a vote on the UK leaving?

Why? We can see why they need the UK. Look at the flow of all those billions of pounds from the UK into Brussels and subsidizing an entire economy of EU legislation compliance officers. Look at how our tax code has grown over the years:

Tolley's tax guide 2013 = 17,000 pages

tax code is the responsibility of Westminster.

My post was a reply to someone saying the whole of should get a vote on Scottish independence. If that is case why not the whole of EU on the UK leaving?
edit on 1-4-2017 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   

LOL

Pretending you don't get sarcasm now...I suppose it's easier than trying to defend your position.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:43 AM
link   

For who?

No...you're still looking at this situation from the persepctive of a Scot when you're British, that's the problem here.

You didn't or shouldn't have voted from that perspective, that wasn't the question - the question was should the UK remain part of the EU...not Scotland.

Why should England not get another vote, or Wales?

Why didn't we all vote as separate nations? The answers lies therein.

No I fully understand it was a UK referendum and that means that the UK is leaving. At no single point have I said otherwise.

That however in no way precludes Scotland having a separate vote on independence.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

LOL

Pretending you don't get sarcasm now...I suppose it's easier than trying to defend your position.

No i have asked a question you have not answered. What are the constitutional rules for a referendum in the UK?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join