It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daedulus is an insane, real-life flying Iron Man suit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

One UK entrepreneur has transformed himself into a real-life Iron Man of sorts, and he says his custom-built exoskeleton with six attached micro jet engines could do the same for just about anyone else.

The result was a new company, Gravity, which launches Friday along with the unveiling of its first product, the Daedulus flight suit. The company claims Daedulus should be able to fly at speeds up to several hundreds of miles per hour, although Browning hasn't been able to find a large enough test flight area to get it going that fast just yet.

Browning and others developed Daedulus over the course of 2016. He began by strapping small gas turbine engines to his body and gradually learning how to control them strictly with his own mind and muscles.

"We looked at the physics a bit and we thought, yea, this could work," engineer Jon Reece says in the below mini-documentary produced by Red Bull.
(embedded video can't be added, add screen capture pic)

(RedBull.com, ©Anthony Rubenstein)

Of course, there is a certain amount of physical effort that goes into controlling it...

Browning says it does require a certain amount of arm, shoulder, and core strength, but adds, "I think a reasonably fit person could do it."

It also helps to be lightweight though. Browning weighs 160 pounds and say he's strong for his weight.

CNET.com, March 31, 2017 - Daedulus is an insane, real-life flying Iron Man suit.

RedBull.com (original embedded video, source screen capture) - This amazing real-life Iron Man suit really flies.

Nextbigfuture.com: Real life flying iron man exoskeleton created will cost about $250,000 each and requires intense Captain America like workout regimen for strength to control it.

Hey ATS! Check this out!

(They have not released the video to u-tube otherwise I would have also embedded it! ETA: Added a screen capture for visuals!)

A real-life Iron Man suit that flies! This is one of the craziest things I have seen. Both cool and "holy..." at the same time! The inventor does all kinds of extreme sports, so he is fit enough to fly the thing. And he's not over 200 lbs. (14 stone) pepperoni pizza scarfing couch potato. And the NextBigFuture title gives me some pause. Every kid will be asking for one for Christmas! I am sure it will pop up in some rapper's video. Etc.

No word on what kind of license you need. Restrictions, fuel mileage, etc. The guy said it works best about 10 feet off the ground. He had to add a HUD for fuel to keep from crashing!

This is just cool beans! Any thoughts and opinions?

edit on 31-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add pic

edit on 31-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: grammar poilice issued a warrant for my arrest

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Very, very cool. Here's a video. Not the same as in your link which goes into more detail, but a short snippet.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Even for Browning – a dedicated triathlete, ultra-marathon runner and endurance canoeist – the suit tests the limits of personal fitness. He describes the strength required to direct the jets as "severe". In order to fly, he must follow a strenuous workout regime; in a typical week's training he cycles over 150km and does three intensive calisthenics sessions. He also runs 40km every Saturday morning, starting at 2am.

(RedBull.com link)

!!! Makes the NBF title make more sense!

a reply to: scojak

Thanks for the vid!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

I would have loved to have one of those to commute from Isle of Wight to the mainland
No more taxis, ferries, trains and buses.

Wouldn't it be easier to have the jet engines on a fixed backpack and continually adjusted by computer?

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

You could buy a Cessna for the cost of this suit, much safer too as I'd imagine most rich daredevils buying this not even close to iron man suit will end up more like Icarus than Daedalus

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

The Cessna probably holds more fuel too!

There are mech suits out there. Daedalus + Mech suit = ???

Probably a Darwin Award! But I still think the idea of the Daedalus suit is pretty cool.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Awesome... and thanks, sir!

But dangit, by the time cheaper, safer versions trickle down to joe average , I'll already be flying around in spirit form!

I sure hope the expected tech explosion finally trickles down and we get to access cheap 3-D printing and materials... and once we have better batteries or pocket sized fusion plants, then an iron man suit will be the least of it!

Dang black projects keeping all the fun stuff from the plebeians. Heck, I'll settle for a Jetson's car, at this point... or even a standard plane that's affordable for dolts like me. People WERE meant to fly!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Its cool, but they've simply shoe horned current tech (combustion lift) onto a suit. I can imagine its enormously risky. Maybe cool for a gimmick.

We need to get rid of combustion lift, and then miniaturize it enough to work in a portable manner. How we do this i could even begin to fathom

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I am not sure strapping a micro jet engine on the end of my arms is that good of an idea.

But the "idea" is cool! "I'm building one," then builds it. Cool. And watching somebody else weaving around is d@mn cool! I bet the Superbowl kick-off will be even better this year!

Mechanical assisted controls would also work. Like take a gyroscope out of the Paul Blart Mall Cop scooter and keep yourself stable. Then take one of those computer-neural interfaces and hook that up to the mechanical assisted arms. Make the whole thing out of graphene enhanced steel. Then you fly with your mind like God intended!!

The tech explosion seems to be held back. If it is on purpose they can only hold it back so long. This guy spent one year making this exoskeleton. Some Joe will figure out, "Hey guys! This is how you can make sheets of graphene real easy like..." then the explosion happens even if the TPTB don't want it in our grubby little hands.

I hear ya though. I keep doing laps around the sun and we are still using steam generators. I mean, quit keeping us in the dark and fly that big black triangle over the Superbowl already!

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I like the thought process: I want one, they don't have one, so I am going to do it myself. Yeah, I agree (shoe horn). I always wondered why Boba Fet's legs didn't burned off! It might be cool if you could get the quantum locking "hover board" tech to assist or achieve height. Like the Jetson's car BD mentioned. Think about it. Manned flight 1903. A man flies by micro jet engine, 2016!
edit on 31-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add reply to BFFT

edit on 31-3-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: clarity

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: Baddogma

I am not sure strapping a micro jet engine on the end of my arms is that good of an idea.

Nah- it's fine.
Just don't scratch your ass while it's running.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Natas0114

Or sneeze!!

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Sorry to burst the bubble but this is not real, it's a guy being pulled about with a cord attached to the backpack as a little jest by Red Bull.

Twas the season to be fooled and there has been many examples of these in the past

www.redbull.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: constant_thought

I thought that too but they released it on March 30. It was picked up as a news story, Friday, March 31. And it is still being reported on in lamestream media as of today, April 4. So this would have to be the best April Fool's joke ever!

I think the tether is a safety device.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
You-tube - Richard Browning flies 'Iron Man' suit at TED 2017

A British inventor, who built an Iron Man-style flight suit, has flown it at the Ted (Technology, Entertainment and Design) conference in Vancouver.

Richard Browning's short flight took place outside the Vancouver Convention Centre in front of a large crowd.

BBC.com, news, April 28, 2017 - TED 2017: UK 'Iron Man' demonstrates flying suit.

Not an April Fools joke after all!

I really hope he does something for the Super Bowl because that would be sweet! Or the World Series. Heck, Indy 500.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
A real iron man suit I believe will never been invented for two reasons

1. Power source. Until there is a source that provides unlimited power and is small enough for a human to carry, then to actually fly in a suit you'll have to tow around masssive tanks of fuel and put it this way, does anyone seen any energy giant companies allowing a small yet unlimited power source into production .. Na I don't think so

2. Blunt Trauma. I'm sure a lot of us have seen the iron man films, when Tony Stark gets hit for six or falls from a large height. Yeh the suit may survive but a fragile human body in a metal shell. I'd hate to be the one opening that suit up to see if the person is alright inside

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
old bread for me
jetpacks exist since the 2 world war

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
If he attached the engines to the upper arms near shoulder height it would be much easier to use and control.

top topics

join