It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

officals fear newborns contracted herpes from rabbi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   
this is terribly SAD as far as i'm concerned.

www.cnn.com...

Wednesday, February 2, 2005 Posted: 8:06 AM EST (1306 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- City health officials are investigating the death of a baby boy who was one of three infants to contract herpes after a rabbi circumcised them.

Ten days after Rabbi Yitzhok Fischer performed religious circumcisions on twins last October, one died of herpes and the other tested positive for the virus, according to complaint filed by the health department in Manhattan Supreme Court.

The complaint, reported in Wednesday's edition of the New York Daily News, also said health officials later found a third baby who had contracted herpes after being circumcised by Fischer in late 2003.

Under Jewish law, a mohel -- someone who performs circumcisions -- draws blood from the circumcision wound. Most mohels do it by hand, but Fischer uses a rare practice where he uses his mouth.

Fischer's lawyer, Mark Kurzmann, told the Daily News that Fischer was cooperating with the investigation, although it's unclear whether Fischer submitted to the city's request for a blood test.

"My client is known internationally as a caring, skilled, and conscientious mohel," Kurzmann said.

the last statement blows my mind!!! how can this man be called a caring, skilled and conscientious mohel...................when he carries the herpes virus........and exposes these infants to the virus by doing a circumcision with active HERPES virus in his mouth at the time of the circ!!!

that's just WRONG!@!!!

angie

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by amb1063
Most mohels do it by hand, but Fischer uses a rare practice where he uses his mouth.

That's NASTY!!! Sounds like he may have a Michael Jackson like problem!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is a glaring example of a religious anarchronism conflicting with evolving modern ways of life. Scrap all the old religions, they are infectious!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Vampire conspiricy ? Really feel sorry for these kids, was surpirsed that this is actually a very common practice among certified traditional mohels,

btw: i was circumcised for medical reasons when i was 4 because my foreskin was to tight, had painfull peeing, but no sir, no bloodsucking doctor, just proper disinfectant, but I could imagine this practice evolved in ancient times with less medical tools around, but certainly this shows, the tradition might need a modern upgrade....

www.sexuallymutilatedchild.org...

[edit on 2-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   
This whole story is horrible. Every aspect of it. He uses his mouth? Someone used their mouth while circumcising my son I would definitely throw up a red flag. Didn't anyone know that he had herpes? Didn't he know? If he or anyone else knew then I think that criminal charges should be filed, as he is a baby killer.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
That is a tad gross, actully that is really gross. I know that many cultures preform many different ways of celebrating birth and what not, but YUCK...

I mean if I had that type of disease, I would not be working with small children that is for darn sure...plus doing that type of practice, you just never know what children may have as well.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
it's in the local papers since the guy is a local (NYC). The mouth version of this is not as common anymore and is only practiced by more orthodox followers. Even then, the mohels usually use gloves and a sterile tube to draw the blood rather than use their mouth. This guy was warned and told to get checked and he didn't. He was also told to stop performing them circumcisions until he was given a clean bill of health. he didn't stop. therefore, the state did what they did and alerted the press as a means of notifying the public that he has herpes and can very likely pass it along to your son, should you elect to use him.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In today's world religious traditions, however ancient or respected, need to change with the times. I think that whenever there is drawing of blood, or puncturing of skin, the procedure should be medically supervised and performed in a sanitized environment. And no...no...no... blood should be drawn by mouth.

Religious traditions calling for practices which are unsanitary need to stop. Holy Communion as I understand it is no longer given into a person's mouth by the priest either.

[edit on 2/2/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
i wonder if you can purchase videos of this? anyway, the whole circumsizing thing is mutilation....my parents got me one just for the hell of it when i was born....i'm no jew or any kind of religion....i'm not mad though because it makes it look prettier

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

i wonder if you can purchase videos of this? anyway, the whole circumsizing thing is mutilation....my parents got me one just for the hell of it when i was born....i'm no jew or any kind of religion....i'm not mad though because it makes it look prettier

Dude you scare me man!

Apparently you were lucky enough to not have this guy do it to you!

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
i'm sure if i had it done by him and it was videotaped, i'd be at home every night watching this video and......

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   

i'm sure if i had it done by him and it was videotaped, i'd be at home every night watching this video and......

LOL -

Talk about issues! So your parents just got you one for the heck of it?
I don't know why your last statement struck me as funny, but I'm still laughing.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
i think my parents got it done because they were just following what "most" people nowadays do...i believe it is not being covered by man insurance plans like it was back in the day.....i couldn't imagine though having it look like a grouchy turtle though.....the whole smegma thing also

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

i couldn't imagine though having it look like a grouchy turtle though.....the whole smegma thing also

Your sense of humor is even sicker than mine!
I didn't think that was possible. Please admit though that the death of these poor babies is horrible.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
of course...the babies didn't have a say in the matter...if the babies would have given consent, THEN it would be partially their fault

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
www.circumcision.org...

Obviously there are other reasons to have it done, not because it is a "trend"...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
there is no reason to have it done.....people will have problems with their units whether or not it is done...it is just some crazed religious thing that caught on over the years....it was probably necessary long ago when medical and medicine was not as advanced to deal with infections

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeticha
there is no reason to have it done.....people will have problems with their units whether or not it is done...it is just some crazed religious thing that caught on over the years....it was probably necessary long ago when medical and medicine was not as advanced to deal with infections

Usually the infection starts due to not being cleaned well, with a build up of natural bacteria...festers up and spreads. However the practices was not originally started with Jewish cultures....it started in African and/or South American cultures as well. Symbolism first...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
it just bothers me that parents continue this mutilation practice just because of their religion or because it is the "normal" thing to have done

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeticha
it just bothers me that parents continue this mutilation practice just because of their religion or because it is the "normal" thing to have done

Well what is mutilation? Some may say it is, but some may say it is also self modification for the better.

I don't see anything wrong with "cut or uncut" however when it boils down to it in the long run, it could prevent many things. No matter how many times you read or hear it, it is a quick procedure and at that age, the pain is forgotten..lol It may seem cruel, but Id rather get that done(to my child), than a babies ear's pierced.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join