It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing-buy more F-18s to end fights quicker

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Boeing is pushing all the right buttons in the latest attempt to kill the F-35C. In a paper submitted to the White House, Boeing claims that their Block 3 Hornet is just as survivable as the F-35, because of Growler and self protection EW, as well as reduced RCS features. They claim one squadron of them would increase capabilities and reduce costs.

They go on to say that if they just buy 120 Super Hornets and 200 of the Block 3, they'd save $8B a year in procurement and $1.4B in operations and maintenance a year. They also claim that if they stick to the planned balance of aircraft, any fight will be longer than if they buy more Hornets.

breakingdefense.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

How good will that advanced super hornet be?

Looks like they put some lipstick on the pig.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Basically. It's kind of funny because under their proposal you'd need more aircraft. The F-35 in its final iteration will support itself, while the Block 3 will need Growlers.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

So it's like. Buy all these ford fiestas in different models.

And trash the old planes because they are old.

I get that boeing needs some sales. But sheesh.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

I don't see any way in hell they can hit those cost numbers either. Their latest E/F sale was running around $90M per aircraft. With the sensor upgrades and RCS reduction, they'd have to be higher than $79M.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

How much is an equivalent F-35 to this modified F-18 . Would it be around the same price ?
And in comparison to the two aircraft, how much would they cost in maintenance ?
I am only guessing, but wouldn't the F-35 be cheaper overall than the other two aircraft

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

Right now, the C model is still around $120M a copy. The Navy has been buying fewer C models than the other services have so the cost hasn't dropped as fast. By the time the Block 3 could be entering service an F-35C should be around $100M. The flight hour costs for the Hornet will be lower, but the procurement costs will be similar.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

And as you said earlier, if growlers are needed, then that surely puts the cost up. In your opinion, even with the mods, can the F-18 do as good a role as the F-35 ?

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

You know, the F-35 haters are gonna be here in 3.....2.....1

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

They already have the "It's official the F-35 sucks" thread. Heh.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

One positive for the f18 is all of the logistics, maintenance training, etc is already set up. Its a great aircraft but I would also like to see the f35 put into service.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Great is such a relative term.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Great is such a relative term.

The devil you know?

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

To an extent. But eventually you have to get away from it.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Ha! So true. I'll always have a soft spot for certain aircraft though, like the F117 or the F18. But I can't wait to see some F35's painted blue and gold practicing above my house!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

I'm the same way with the Eagle. It breaks my heart that they probably only have about 10 years or so left.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was waiting for the shoe to drop. Boeing runs a scheme to discredit the F-35 and then offers up a Hornet package deal with excellent pricing. They kill the F-35 and then find out that Boeing can't meet their own pricing so they have to accept the cost increase because they are in too deep and there is nothing in the pipeline to bail them out.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Exactly.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I'd argue that the F-15 was the most quintessentially American fighter since the P-51. An utter icon whose departure will truly mark the passing of a certain era in US air power.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They already have the "It's official the F-35 sucks" thread. Heh.

F-35's are junk the time it cannot fly into space. Wasting our time pointing fingers at China and other human race. Wasting our time protecting enemies of nations who could have been our allies. Waste even more time mass producing militarily against other nations when all resources could have been allocated to space colonization and creating intergalactic space station. The people died in WW2 for no reason, too many soldiers needs to be shot in the foot.
edit on 31-3-2017 by makemap because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join