It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dagga (cannabis) can be used in the home, Western Cape High Court rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Cape Town – The Western Cape High Court has made a landmark ruling, declaring that it is an infringement to ban the use of dagga by adults in private homes.

In making the ruling on Friday, it has allowed for the possession, cultivation and use dagga at home, for private use.

Dagga can be used in the home, Western Cape High Court rules

So much attention is focused on the latest act of the-firing-of-South Africa's-Treasurer by South Africa's President, Jacob Zuma, that a massive headline that should be grabbing the world's attention is disappearing in amongst the fray on SA's news networks.

In an unprecedented move, the South African High Court has this morning ruled that it is legal for South African's to possess, cultivate and use marijuana at home, for private use.

Extraordinary news!

So ATS, henceforth the crime of possession of marijuana for private use in South Africa cannot be prosecuted, which means that the police can now focus on more important tasks at hand, such as curbing serious crime. I for one am very excited by this news - it is a step in the right direction. I would not be surprised if the townships and suburbs look a lot 'leafier and greener' in a year or two's time (grin).
edit on 31/3/2017 by shimmeringsilver73 because: Added on a bit at the end

edit on 31/3/2017 by shimmeringsilver73 because: Added in clarification on the meaning of the word 'dagga'

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 07:07 AM
link   
a reply to: shimmeringsilver73

And at the same time trumps stooge Jeff Sessions has said he will be going after legalized recreational pot here in the US....

America is definately ahead of the curve...in being behind the curve.. lol

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I was supposed to be in Durban this past January.
Was looking forward to the skuif

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Skuif (move) to Durban and have some DP skyf.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: DbDraad

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Skuif (move) to Durban and have some DP skyf.

i had it all planned out.
along with that lots of bunny chow...couple days in the drakensburg mountains....
bummed i didnt get to go.

hopefully hunt down an original copy of the ziggurat

edit on 31-3-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Thank you for your post! I could not agree more with your sentiment!

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:28 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Bummer that you didn't get to visit! Bunny Chow is the best!
And so is 'The Antwoord' - they are awesome with their next-level beats and their PC computer!

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Blimey..i didn't realise the SA Government was so sensible.

Probably financially motivated, but still - a great move towards a grown up, adult orientated and substantially much less patronising form of Government.

Good on you SA.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: shimmeringsilver73
a reply to: TinySickTears

Bummer that you didn't get to visit! Bunny Chow is the best!
And so is 'The Antwoord' - they are awesome with their next-level beats and their PC computer!

i make bunny chow here. my buddy from durban came here a couple times and brought me like legit curry spices.

hell yeah they have next level beats. dj hi tek with his pc computer.....lol...i know youre a fan

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
SA has right climate/conditions for dagga to grow in it's true wild form, self-seeding on roadsides etc. As such, trying to legislate against it's use was insane!

I do wonder if the insanity will continue though. Will they try to introduce rules around treatments and preparations? Much like you can roam the English countryside and pick any amount of psilocybin or amanita muscaria as you wish but if you dry it for later use, you are in possession of a class A drug?

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Probably the most revolutionary news ever from South Africa.

Far from legalization.

It merely says adults can use the right to privacy argument successfully if cannabis was found on their personal property.

Sounds good to me though.

posted on Apr, 2 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The sweet smell of victory:

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Shimmer!

I may be a little late replying to this thread... But I must say... That is incredible news! Now that it has been several months since the ruling, have you seen any difference in the suburbs? What has been the overall reaction from the citizens? As a result, have you not left your home in the last 8 months?...
Is South Africa completely engulfed in a cloudy haze yet?

Have you ever heard of the show 'Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern'? He has a second show called 'Delicious Destinations' in which they recently covered Cape Town and showcased all the types of foods and recipes the city has to offer. Very cool.

Keep rockin' Shimmer!

top topics

join