It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Critical Thinking Skills

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Hi all !

For my 100th post , I thought I would celebrate it with something that has seems to gone by the wayside.

Critical thinking.

What is this thing you speak of, you ask.

Well, it is the basis of deny ignorance, which if I remember right, this site was based on.

Critical thinking , in it's purest form, is to question everything you read or hear. It may or may not be true.

Critical thinking is the ability to discern truth from reality. To sort out the lies and deceptions embedded in stories and news you read everyday.

First thing you need to do is Analyze. Separate or break a whole into parts to discover their nature.

Sources, are they credible?

Research. Research the heck out of something before you believe it. I have found looking at comments on articles is more resourceful than the article itself.

One more thing.

If you mess up on posting something and someone shows you are wrong, learn from it and thank them. Not everyone knows everything, Well, except Phage.
Grow a thick skin, ignore the trolls and move on.

It's just a internet forum.

www.umich.edu...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

Critical thinking is also considering the source. A tiny dancing Groot obviously can be trusted!

I like to walk into an argument with a strong possibility that I am wrong. If I am, then I have learned something. If not, I've gained nothing. Kind of selfish in a way but when your goal is to gather information, that works.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Thats why i like ats. I found it bc the news, world, stories, policies never made sense to me. Never has the world made a lick of sense. Alot of these guys think like i do. Its a nice mix of crazy, unbelievable, genius and really just a good community to throw out your crazy thoughts. Critical thinking is very very difficult in the real world. Everyone seems either brainwashed or just plain dumb. Ats is awesome. Lots of smart people here.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Critical thinking is also considering the source. A tiny dancing Groot obviously can be trusted!

I like to walk into an argument with a strong possibility that I am wrong. If I am, then I have learned something. If not, I've gained nothing. Kind of selfish in a way but when your goal is to gather information, that works.

Tiny dancing Groot is an inside joke. We are here to gain knowledge and to learn what is real or not.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I would say you have to define your words carefully.

Is critical thinking really questioning everything?

See what I did there?

I don't think so. I think critical thinking and ontology are very separate things.

Critical thinking is a tool, more a process like empercism.

The nature of reality is an overlaying theme that is limited by your knowledge, wisdom, patience, perseverance, things like that.

Literal critical thinking: being locked in a room and being able to construct or discover a way out.

Metaphorical thinking wise....same thing.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme

Thats why i like ats. I found it bc the news, world, stories, policies never made sense to me. Never has the world made a lick of sense. Alot of these guys think like i do. Its a nice mix of crazy, unbelievable, genius and really just a good community to throw out your crazy thoughts. Critical thinking is very very difficult in the real world. Everyone seems either brainwashed or just plain dumb. Ats is awesome. Lots of smart people here.

Over the years, I have slowly informed people around me in the real world about things . Some get it, some don't. All you can do is just keep trying. Can't get to everyone, but the ones you do is priceless.

Just know, you have realized that there is something other than the same old rhetoric.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

What is the deal with this Phage person?

Some of the members act like he is an all knowing god.

I have read a few of his posts and sure the person seems intelligent but seriously he is nothing special.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jafo1973

Phage is the almighty. Never look him directly in the eyes or youll turn to stone. Never talk about him unless youre on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. Even then you better whisper. God help your soul

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Phage is the almighty. Never look him directly in the eyes or youll turn to stone. Never talk about him unless youre on top of a mountain in the middle of nowhere. Even then you better whisper. God help your soul

Lol.

Okay.

Should I make some kind of offering during the next full moon?
I did question his greatness.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

He is an empericist and a good one. But human with opinions like anyone else.

A good friend or adversary if your honest about honing your intellect and argument.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Yea. Its probably too late. Youll be turned to ash soon so when youre reincarnated remember to tread lightly the next go-round. You are not the first to question he who shall not be named

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
If you lack critical thinking skills, you can start working on it by getting in the habit of "sanity testing". Or, just always ask yourself "Does this make sense", then practice answering that question. Its slow at first, but you get better with practice. Neural paths eventually become neural highways, and it becomes second nature.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think alot of it is instincts. It just doesnt "feel" right.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I love being spoken down to. Thank you.

You say we are here to learn, and yet you decide to try to teach. Interesting.

P.S. one could argue that critical thinking does not lead to happiness. One could argue that reactionaries have gotten more done than critical thinking.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973

What is the deal with this Phage person?

Some of the members act like he is an all knowing god.

I have read a few of his posts and sure the person seems intelligent but seriously he is nothing special.

If he affects you so, then he is doing what he intends. Shine the light on something you are wrong about, or that uninformed about.

I see nothing wrong with his posts. Some people use humour to do the same, some sarcasm. All on these forums.

There are plenty of others who stick to their guns in an argument but get ignored. But those who stand out with consistent logical content, seem to be the focus.

Weird that...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Phage?

Never heard of her.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973

Lol.

Okay.

Should I make some kind of offering during the next full moon?
I did question his greatness.

Bahahaha! You're new, we'll forgive you this time!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   

First I have to say that I always loved your avatar! Ok, now on topic...critical thinking...Oh man, at my age and with the meds I'm on, that is a difficult thing to do. I'm always grateful to those who do research and uncover the truth of a situation. Saves me from having to search further.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
If you lack critical thinking skills, you can start working on it by getting in the habit of "sanity testing". Or, just always ask yourself "Does this make sense", then practice answering that question. Its slow at first, but you get better with practice. Neural paths eventually become neural highways, and it becomes second nature.

Sanity testing? Oh Lord, I'm in trouble, big trouble! I have been rather gullible in threads and believed something only to find that those with good critical thinking skills cleared things up and made me see the light. Afterward I would think, now why didn't I think of that? Good suggestion though BFFT!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
Critical thinking , in it's purest form, is to question everything you read or hear.

Not that I can see.
Critical thinking is the 'original' (thinking for oneself) critical examination (not necessarily just any type of 'questioning') of, predominantly, 'premises/assertions'.
Critical thought is toxic soil for the invasive weed of 'belief' to grow!
The greater the 'belief', the less it is available to philosophic inquiry ('critical thought' +).
The greater the ability to think, philosophically, the less chance for belief infections to take hold.
But one should, if there actually were a choice, not 'believe' anything!
Not even what you think!
Even if unable to string together a single 'critical thought/logic, still... what am I saying, if unable to think critically, you are already crawling with 'beliefs'!!

It may or may not be true.

Things can only be 'true' or 'not true' under very limited and specific context! Only according to 'logic', for instance.
Removing temporary 'limitations', all is Truth!

Critical thinking is the ability to discern truth from reality.

Critical thinking is one thing that tells us that Truth IS Reality, One and the same!!

Existence = the complete Universe = Nature = Reality = Consciousness = Truth = Love = 'Self!' = God = Brahman = Tao = ... etc....
ALL INCLUSIVE!!
One!

To sort out the lies and deceptions embedded in stories and news you read everyday.

Yet, obviously the ability for critical thought and philosophic thought (of which critical thought is a feature) is a rare Blessing!
Nose have no ability to tell such a difference.
To not believe any of that trash is the wisest route, IF we had any choice.
But people listen to news that agrees with their bias.
Recommended links that support their biases...
The general behavior is not to deny ignorance (Well, only to deny the OTHER guy's ignorance!), but to successfully support one's own biases.

First thing you need to do is Analyze. Separate or break a whole into parts to discover their nature.

Sources, are they credible?

I dunno...
You seem to be preaching to the mindless drones spewing from public schools and academe...
Can they still be taught to think?
Would the government allow you to subvert it's easily manipulated electorate? *__-

top topics

<<   2 >>

join