It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia used fake news to manipulate election, Senate panel is told

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The U.S. Senate intelligence committee has kicked-off their investigation of Russian influence in the 2016 election.

The main theme seems to be focusing on Trolls, Shills, and Bots and Conspiracy Theories !!

According to one witness (at least), it was a massive propaganda effort that started in late 2015.

Russians (or Russian influenced characters) used overt media and overt Trolls to sideline anybody that was anti-Russian !

That includes apparent Republicans and Democrats.

Russia used fake news to manipulate election, Senate panel is told

Russia-generated fake news was the main focus as the Senate intelligence committee began its investigation into interference with the 2016 elections in the United States.

“Through the end of 2015 and the start of 2016,” said Clint Watts, a witness for the Thursday morning hearing, “Russian influence system began pushing themes and messages seeking to influence the outcomes of the U.S. presidential election. Russia’s overt media outlets and covert trolls sought to sideline opponents on both sides of the political spectrum with adversarial views toward the Kremlin. They were in full swing during both the Republican and Democratic primary season and may have helped sink the hopes of candidates more hostile to Russian interests long before the field narrowed.”

“Sen. Rubio,” added Watts, “in my opinion, you anecdotally suffered from these efforts.” Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., a member of the committee, was a candidate for the Republican nomination.

Watts is a fellow at the Foreign Policy Research Institute and a former Army officer and FBI special agent.

The entire roster of witnesses — Watts, along with Eugene Rumer of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and Roy Godson of Georgetown University — agreed that the Russians didn’t have a preference for any party, but would attempt to help candidates they thought would be favorable toward their policy or easy to corrupt.

They agreed there was no direct tampering with election results.

Added: full hearing video

edit on Mar-30-2017 by xuenchen because: hearing video

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
What is an example of such fake news? Pizzagate?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So the Russians were kind of like the liberals on ATS pre-election with all their anti-Trump rhetoric?
OK, now I understand.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

So it was a live retelling of the geico ad?

do we really need the government to tell us everything on the internet is not real?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The U.S. Senate intelligence committee has kicked-off their investigation of Russian influence in the 2016 election.

Now they are going to investigate? After all that smearing mud around, Now they are going to investigate. Someones got the cart ahead of the horse, as fake news usual.

Usually they investigate first, present factual results with evidence to back it up. We all know where they will go with this, more Anti Russian rhetoric a used as an excuse to further sanction Russian economy, heap tirades on Putin and build up NATO forces in the EU.

Pee Yuuu....

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

They caught me I am a paid Russian Troll.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
And the establishment uses fake news to sway public opinion and keep us in the dark on a daily basis.

Remember the absolute media hysteria over gay marriage?

Complete unabated freedom of speech has its consequences. Just saying....
edit on 30-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevemagegod

They caught me I am a paid Russian Troll.

Prove it !!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
This Revelation has wolf blister feeling Vindicated. Its not his Network inventing fake news it's the Russians!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Really!!? Welcome to the internet MSM.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Really!!? Welcome to the internet MSM.

Hahah I know right. This is a Joke. Flashback Obama used Social Media to win in 2008. I wonder if he paid Russian Trolls to dig up dirt on John McCain? Hmmmmmmmm the possibilities.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevemagegod

What about Correct the Record... was that not paid political trolls worldwide posting pro hillary and anti trump posts all over the interwebz?

I didn't know Hillary Clinton worked for Vladimir Putin...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Member when Trump allies had a super Pac that paid shills to post all over the Internet. I member, it was called Correct the Record.

Correct the Record is Russians?

ShareBlue is the ongoing Russian conspiracy.

Or how about that data on the facebook posters posting positive comments about the ACA recently. 60% of it was done by 100 posters who did it during work hours. Pesky Russians trying to make Americans like the Failing Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Russia used fake news or people are just too lazy to verify the headlines that they come across? If people have invested trust in a specific outlet, they rarely read beyond the headline or first few paragraphs, especially if it serves their confirmation bias.

The idea is a joke considering the amount of propaganda (from our own country), that flows into the ears of the ignorant masses. Do as I say, not as I do comes to mind. Do not propagate false information, unless we (the US), are the ones doing it at your expense.

edit on 30-3-2017 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
They most have given the wrong poll numbers to the news media when they were prediction Hillary win by a landslide.

hell they most be good because even I believe the polls.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Wait so the world wide web actually covers the world and people make clickbait websites in Russia too?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I wonder how stupid the political rats behind the hearings think most American people are.

I guess I can say with comfort that we are nothing but a big experiment to them.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: zGrimReapah
a reply to: Stevemagegod

What about Correct the Record... was that not paid political trolls worldwide posting pro hillary and anti trump posts all over the interwebz?

I didn't know Hillary Clinton worked for Vladimir Putin...

Russian Democrats vs Russian Republicans !!!

What a Country !!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Lol
All it took for me is to listen to Hillary, read her mannerisms etc...
Alot like my kid lying..any parent knows when theyre being bs'd

I didnt need Russian propoganda to know I would never vote for that obviously classist, pompous hag.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Exactly!!!!! I remember a long time ago that I said here in this board, actually it was the other board the one for political and alternative news board that ran alongside this one for a while, that If Hilary ran for president I will vote for her because she was a woman.

Well once I research in her crap and the corruption that follow her in her career as a political rat and cashing out with her foundation I decided that I never, ever will give my vote to her, I didn't need Russia for that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join