It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands of Trump university alumni sue Trump for fraud

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ksihkehe

Regardless of where it is located, if it is passing itself off as a college it needs to offer the benefits of any college. An education that can directly translate into a career. If it fails at this basic premise then it is a fraud, and that ISN'T the fault of the people who paid money to attend. Again choosing a college isn't supposed to be a gamble on getting a good education. Colleges have to be accredited and adhere to certain educational standards.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Regardless of where it is located, if it is passing itself off as a college it needs to offer the benefits of any college. An education that can directly translate into a career. If it fails at this basic premise then it is a fraud, and that ISN'T the fault of the people who paid money to attend. Again choosing a college isn't supposed to be a gamble on getting a good education. Colleges have to be accredited and adhere to certain educational standards.

I don't think anyone with two brain cells was thinking of Trump University as a real university. It's just like how the "boot camp" at my gym is not the same boot camp in the Army no matter how much the camo the personal trainer puts on the flyer.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Clearly SOME people were expecting to get something out of it because they gave him money for an education.
Trump University controversy ... in 2 minutes

4. Trump U wasn't an accredited "school."

In 2010, the New York Department of Education demanded that the name Trump University be changed since it was misleading and in violation of the state's education laws, according to the New York Daily News.

Trump University was subsequently renamed the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative.

Schneiderman's suit alleges that the business was warned by the state's education department as early as 2005 that it was violating state law by calling itself a university, but nevertheless continued to do business under that name for five years.

Also this as it is relevant to the thread:

10. The trials may not start until after the presidential election.

Given Trump's refusal to settle so far, the suits likely will continue. Trump even suggested in a GOP debate that the cases could go on for a "couple of years."

A trial date of Nov. 28 has been set in one of the California cases, where Trump will testify, his lawyer said.

And a New York court will hear the case brought by Schneiderman, possibly as early as this fall although timing is uncertain.

Meanwhile, Makaeff was allowed to withdraw her name as lead plaintiff in the first California class-action suit. According to the motion her lawyers filed, "Makaeff wants her life back without living in fear of being disparaged by Trump on national television."

edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Clearly SOME people were expecting to get something out of it because they gave him money for an education.
Trump University controversy ... in 2 minutes

In 2010, the New York Department of Education demanded that the name Trump University be changed since it was misleading and in violation of the state's education laws, according to the New York Daily News.

Schneiderman's suit alleges that the business was warned by the state's education department as early as 2005 that it was violating state law by calling itself a university, but nevertheless continued to do business under that name for five years.

Also this as it is relevant to the thread:

10. The trials may not start until after the presidential election.

Given Trump's refusal to settle so far, the suits likely will continue. Trump even suggested in a GOP debate that the cases could go on for a "couple of years."

A trial date of Nov. 28 has been set in one of the California cases, where Trump will testify, his lawyer said.

And a New York court will hear the case brought by Schneiderman, possibly as early as this fall although timing is uncertain.

Meanwhile, Makaeff was allowed to withdraw her name as lead plaintiff in the first California class-action suit. According to the motion her lawyers filed, "Makaeff wants her life back without living in fear of being disparaged by Trump on national television."

And clearly some people aren't that bright. Real estate seminars as a get rich quick scheme go back decades.

The typical spiel is to go to some "free" seminar where a supposed real estate guru is going to show you how to make money flipping houses or buying rental properties (with no money down!). Once there, they put the hard sell on your to "buy their system".

Trump University was just a higher level branding of these hustles mastered by guys like Carlton Sheets. It actually make perfect sense. Trump is the most well known RE developer so it make sense from a branding standpoint. They just gussied up the old late night TV commercials.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Colleges have to be accredited and adhere to certain educational standards.

Jeebus. Since you couldn't just enjoy my joke because Trump is renting out the penthouse suite in your hippocampus let's discuss that comment.

Your statement is false. Accreditation is certainly what an intelligent person looks for when choosing a college, but there is no assertion that Trump U made false claims about accreditation as far as I know.

The people that paid money for this course learned a valuable life lesson. Don't go to get rich quick seminars at the local Marriott.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Then Trump of all people should have known this, and never had his name associated with it.

....unless Trump is a conman....

Hmmmm.....

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Trust me. I know about these seminars. I went with my parents to a few of them.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
Jeebus. Since you couldn't just enjoy my joke because Trump is renting out the penthouse suite in your hippocampus let's discuss that comment.

Sorry. I misread your statement. No offense meant buddy...

Your statement is false. Accreditation is certainly what an intelligent person looks for when choosing a college, but there is no assertion that Trump U made false claims about accreditation as far as I know.

The people that paid money for this course learned a valuable life lesson. Don't go to get rich quick seminars at the local Marriott.

I posted this earlier in the thread:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The NY attorney general let the fraud university scam students so he can cash in when students sue. He is not a man of high moral caliber.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I can agree with your point.

But, let's pretend it is not a person involved in a partisan pissing match, let's change the name to

Beiber University

Would there be an outrage?

The answer is obvious.

If the education department, or whomever in NY was right wing
would there still be an outrage?

Also, I am from Iowa, we have a big lake up north called Lake Okoboji.

The University of Okoboji t-shirts and other items are extremely popular, and there is no university there.

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: addded

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Not really. The lawsuits surrounding Trump U were started before he started running for President. His campaign and subsequent election probably gave them more media attention, but the lawsuits were coming regardless. I can't speak for the people in the OP though. They may be trying to milk it for all its worth. I can't say for sure.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Reading through the article, I am finding that fewer than 1% of students filed for benefits.
This whole case stinks like a bunch of class action lawyers.

From article...

Over half -- about 3,700 -- of the more than 6,000 former students have submitted claims to be part of the class-action settlement. That’s a high participation rate for a consumer class action. A 2013 analysis by the Mayer Brown LLP law firm showed that in some cases, fewer than 1 percent of eligible beneficiaries filed claims. The case became a flash point during the 2016 presidential election campaign as critics pointed to the allegations to raise questions of whether the Republican candidate could be trusted. Trump drew further attention to it as he accused the judge, born in East Chicago, Indiana, and of Mexican descent, of being biased against him because of his pledge to build a wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

We'll see. Like I said, the people in the OP may just be milking it. I wouldn't put it past anyone in this day and age. Though there ARE legit claims against Trump U in the Judicial System.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Then Trump of all people should have known this, and never had his name associated with it.

....unless Trump is a conman....

Hmmmm.....

I don't disagree. He was just licensing his name and probably didn't think much about it. I work in mortgages and recall when Trump Mortgage was announced. It was nothing but a small mortgage company licensing his name. Trump steaks, trump this, trump that... I do think his judgment lapsed with Trump U though as I know he had to know the modus operandi for those types of seminars. Maybe he did think it would be a little better, but who knows.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Looks to me like they are looking for a free ride due to their own failures. Isn't that the same thing the previous administration was pushing and now is the agenda of the left.?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Regardless of where it is located, if it is passing itself off as a college it needs to offer the benefits of any college. An education that can directly translate into a career. If it fails at this basic premise then it is a fraud, and that ISN'T the fault of the people who paid money to attend.

If these standards were followed, the majority of colleges and universities could be sued.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I do think his judgment lapsed with Trump U though as I know he had to know the modus operandi for those types of seminars. Maybe he did think it would be a little better, but who knows.

Trump has a long history of cheating the people he does business with. I wouldn't trust him in business and I sure don't trust him as president.

www.wsj.com...

www.washingtonpost.com... 4961c8

edit on 30-3-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think you're short of a couple million bucks to be able to do business with him.....

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
....meanwhile, Liberal Arts graduates everywhere are licking their chops, waiting for their turn to sue Universities for their useless degrees....

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So can I sue the University I went to because the degree I received
has not translated into a job? Is that how this works?
If at least one person that took the Trump class was successful would that prove
that it was legit?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join