It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TSA misses loaded handgun, owner self identifies, then is charged.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: network dude

She self-reported to police and officers showed up at the gate to confiscate her gun and bag. Jackson told them she had a permit from Alabama, but did not have it with her. Police arrested her and charged her with unlawful possession of a handgun.

Right after that she was walking to the plane when a nearby terr suddenly puled an AK from concealment and started shooting. She reflexively reached for her gun, but...

The last thing I'd want if a terrorist was shooting up a place is for an unknown civilian shooting back. You have no clue what their training is for such a situation and you need more than just target practice training to respond in such a situation.

I'll take my chances with an armed civilian firing back...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

She self-reported to police and officers showed up at the gate to confiscate her gun and bag. Jackson told them she had a permit from Alabama, but did not have it with her. Police arrested her and charged her with unlawful possession of a handgun.

Right after that she was walking to the plane when a nearby terr suddenly puled an AK from concealment and started shooting. She reflexively reached for her gun, but...

The last thing I'd want if a terrorist was shooting up a place is for an unknown civilian shooting back. You have no clue what their training is for such a situation and you need more than just target practice training to respond in such a situation.

You have no problems being in the middle of a crossfire between two unknown shooters? Because as an ex-soldier that would be the last situation I'd want to be in if someone started shooting at me. Last thing I'd need is an untrained shooter shooting me in the back while watching out for what the terrorist is doing.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's not like they can't access the database we all know us CCW carriers are in. I'm sure they already knew she was a legal carrier before she made it out to the car to take her to booking. I also could understand a fine for such a mistake, I mean reinforcement of the rules is a positive thing...But arrest and criminal charges for being honest seems over the line to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

You sound awfully confident of these things after the TSA just got done not even being able to identify she had a weapon on her person to begin with.

This case appears in Georgia. Do they have a CCW database in Georgia? Does Georgia talk to Alabama to access their CCW database?

I have a friend who beat a weapons charge in Nebraska while being a felon after just beating a charge of being on a gun range as a felon in Maryland by quickly changing his residence to SC before going to trial. So don't assume you know what different states say and don't say to each other.

It's worth it at least try to bring the permit to trial with you, or even just discuss it with your lawyer.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I have to agree with this. There is enough armed security at most airports that we don't need civilians shooting for any reason at an airport. And honestly I could see the civilian getting shot just as fast as any wrongdoers in that situation. Also knowing how bad most cops are with fire discipline bystanders probably gonna get shot too. Look how many incidents we hear of where multiple cops unload 60+ shots hitting only 5-6. As a civilian we go to jail for that ...They do not and don't care as much either...Because they're only liable for downing the criminal.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

You have no problems being in the middle of a crossfire between two unknown shooters? Because as an ex-soldier that would be the last situation I'd want to be in if someone started shooting at me. Last thing I'd need is an untrained shooter shooting me in the back while watching out for what the terrorist is doing.

Like I said, I'll take my chances. I rather have a chance instead of just being a fish in a barrel when Johnny Jihad decides he wants to shoot up a soft target. Terrorist and nut jobs typically aren't trying to go anywhere that the victims may have a chance of shooting back.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

I would not expect TSA to be accessing such databases but local and state police...Not to mention federal...Yea they most assuredly knew.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Well we'll have to agree to disagree with that one. I am well aware that real life isn't like Hollywood and there are all sorts of things that can go wrong if you start shooting back at someone shooting at you. I had to go through tons of training in order to react correctly in these situations and I DON'T trust that a random civilian can just do that offhand.

Hell to piggy-back on that, I don't really even trust myself to fire back in a situation like that. I've been out of the Army for so long my skills have likely atrophied and are unreliable.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Like I said, you never know. Uncareful assumptions in this regard could be the difference between freedom and jail time for this lady.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Well we can all take assurance in this regard...If you make the mistake don't say a thing...Lest you go to jail for being an honest person...Might make you think differently next flight you take. Me...I just literally got off a plane here in Nashville about an hr ago lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

No, I don't pretend to have met "most people in america."

Yea, the world is full of idiots, which is why it's (still) mind boggling that you're more worried about a TSA screener missing a gun than you're worried about the fact that there's people running around with guns that have forgotten they even have a gun in the first place.

It's preposterous to rant and rail about how inept TSA is and how they should be defunded because they're so inept but then act shocked when they show us how inept they are. Why anybody has an faith or confidence in them to catch anything at all other than headlines is a head-scratcher.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: RickyD
Way to go TSA...Not only do you fail at your job, but then you go and charge the lady and make the news with it...So now anyone who read about this and makes this mistake in the future is going to be hard pressed to let anyone know. Now that makes me feel super safe. Not only do I know it's possible to get past them...But if someone does I doubt they'll be lining up to come clean about it before they fly.

Yea, because you should totally feel safe knowing there are gun owners on your flight that are so negligent as to forget they're carrying a gun in the first place

That's what kills me here: you're all getting so worked up over the TSA yet don't bat an eyelash at the idea of going to the airport and trying to get on a plane all while having forgotten that you're carrying a loaded gun. That's mind boggling to me lol

The issue is that a lot of gun owners pretty much pack their weapons all the time. It isn't so much forgetting you have the weapon, but forgetting the weapon is not allowed where you are going. People often do things by rote memory. My co-worker always has his firearm in his briefcase. I can see him needing to go somewhere and just forgetting to take it out of the bag. The bag is where it is 99% of the time.

Complacency kills. Simple as that.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Well I don't really have to worry about that because I don't carry handguns around public and see no need to have a CCW.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

You can still take solace in the fact that apparently many people think that if you break the law, as long as you just forgot that what you were doing was against the law, and you fess up to it, you should just be sent on your merry way for being honest about it.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Lol. Yeah. I think she'll be fine though. I'm sure once this goes to court and the situation is explained and the lady shows her CCW permit, she'll get a slap on the wrist if anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

... running around with guns that have forgotten they even have a gun in the first place.

That's scary. A firearm is not an item to loose track of, even if it's an one's head. It opens the door for some less then good consequences.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Don't know why you're putting words in my mouth...Never said a word about refunding or all that. I do however believe that the trust bestowed upon them to ensure a safe secure environment for those following the rules in violated by the inept failures they have...Which aren't limited to a here and there scenario... Undermines how I feel when traveling without my own safety net. In any case we can be sure less honest people are going to be honest when in this situation and not everyone is sane...Hell here in Nashville I was told about someone threatening to shoot up a restaurant over the speed of his service...Now that guy could be the guy who forgot he had his gun on him and next thing I know he gets triggered.

There really is no way to spin this story off as a meh...Type event.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Not quiet. Depending on the destination, your stuff might be xrayed again. Depending on the country, this might get ugly.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Try reading what I said again. I didn't claim that you said anything at all about refunding, or defunding, but rather that you have a bigger problem with the TSA doing what it always does rather than being around irresponsible gun owners. Which you did say.

We can also be sure that this (may) stop (hopefully more than) one irresponsible gun owner from forgetting that they're carrying a loaded #'ing firearm around before attempting to board a flight.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
just my opinion - but heres what i would have done :

1 confiscate the fiream - and inform its owner that it will be mailed back to a licenced firearms dealer of her choice - at her expence PLUS handling costs where she can collect it

2 - inform her that her concealed weapons permit is now revoked

3 - have a nice day ma am - enjoy your holiday // trip

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join