It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life in Jesus' Day

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I debated whether to put this in the religion forum or into the ancient civilization forum... I finally chose the religion forum because it's specifically about the daily lives of the Jewish people in Israel at the time of Jesus, as opposed to anyone/everyone of the time, or anywhere/everywhere of that time. I'm not trying to push any particular faith here, and neither do the articles. No preaching -- just history!

There is a series of these articles being re-published by Monseigneur Charles Pope, with these being re-published so far:

What Were Villages Like in Jesus’ Day?
What Sort of Clothing Did People in Jesus’ Time Wear?
Workers and Trades in Jesus’ Time
Marriage and Family at the Time of Jesus
How Did People Tell Time in Jesus’ Day?
What Was the Climate Like at the Time of Jesus?
What Were Houses Like at the Time of Jesus?

I haven't read them all yet -- just the first one. But I found it interesting and thought others might too. So enjoy!

ETA: Thank you, Intrptr, for this link with more accurate illustrations of architecture in Jesus' time: What Bethlehem Looked Like in Jesus' Day
edit on 30-3-2017 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Hey, thanks so much for this. I was at a bit of a loss for research material and it's so good to have some more resources. I don't socialize much these days and my desert gets a bit dry if you know what I mean.

Please do post anything you find interesting about this subject. I will always be interested to read. I subscribed to the thread so I can keep it on tap.

All the best, OP.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Sorry, I had to stop at the first link. The paintings of the village and the arch with iron gate are not from Jesus day, they reflect european architecture. Even the people are white.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Hey, thanks so much for this.

You're very welcome!

I was at a bit of a loss for research material and it's so good to have some more resources. I don't socialize much these days and my desert gets a bit dry if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean!!! I have a couple books that I cherish that you might enjoy:

Gospel Light: An Indispensible Guide to the Teachings of Jesus and the Customs of His Time

The author explains and/or interprets the New Testament in light of the original Aramaic spoken at the time of Jesus and still spoken by the Kurds in the Middle East. So fascinating!!! Good Reads gives it 4.5 stars.

Don't Know Much About the Bible: Everything You Need to Know About the Good Book but Never Learned

Again, fascinating! This author looks at both the Old and New Testaments, and explains much of the politics and behind-the-scenes events going on.

Please do post anything you find interesting about this subject. I will always be interested to read.

This may sound too simple, but what struck me about this article was that the village life -- or perhaps I should say community life -- at the time seems so similar to the farming life of my mother/grandparents in the 20th century. Self-sustaining and self-supporting, with the people working together and individually to meet their needs, needing little from the rest of the world. If their needs were met, they were happy and fulfilled.

We could really benefit from that approach/attitude today, eh???

All the best, OP.

Thank you -- and right back atcha!
edit on 30-3-2017 by Boadicea because: formatting

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Sorry, I had to stop at the first link. The paintings of the village and the arch with iron gate are not from Jesus day, they reflect european architecture. Even the people are white.

That's not strictly true, Mr President:

Iron age period: In other regions of Europe, the Iron Age began in the 8th century BC in Central Europe and the 6th century BC in Northern Europe. The Near Eastern Iron Age is divided into two subsections, Iron I and Iron II. Iron I (1200–1000 BC) illustrates both continuity and discontinuity with the previous Late Bronze Age.

Jesus walking on earth: 0 BC.

They had iron gates and IRON SWORDS, them Romans and Maccabees (and Greeks, too). In Jesus' time boats were even coming to Cornwall in the UK from the Middle East, trading for tin. It really was not that long ago.

You should not have criticized the OP without checking your dates. Iron was being used everywhere in Jesus' time, especially as Spearheads, Shields and Swords....oh, and Iron Gates.

Even in Daniel's time they had iron. Daniel mentions the iron mixed with clay in his book. He lived during the Babylonian exile in the mid 500s BC.

Hahaha! Here's an:

edit on 30-3-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Harder to show exactly what it was like today, so much has changed. Hheres a better selection of images to choose from...

image search

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

They had iron gates and IRON SWORDS, them Romans and Macabees (and Greeks, too). In Jesus' time boats were even coming to Cornwall in the UK, trading in tin. It really was not that long ago.

You should not have criticized the OP without checking your dates. Iron was being used everywhere in Jesus' time, especially as Spearheads and Swords....oh, and iron gateways.

The pic in the first link is not of a Roman "Iron Gate", "In Jesus Day". These are...

image search

You're caught up in the European bastardized version of what the world looked like, i.e., European.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Fair enough, and I understand the obvious... what? Disconnect? Misrepresentation? But it's just as superficial to reject the whole due to the artistic works done centuries later.

By all means point out obvious discrepancies and just plain fancy -- Just don't throw out the baby with the bath water!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Harder to show exactly what it was like today, so much has changed. Hheres a better selection of images to choose from...

image search

Thank you! I added your link to the OP -- and gave you full credit

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   

By all means point out obvious discrepancies and just plain fancy -- Just don't throw out the baby with the bath water!

I did use specifics. As soon as I saw the paintings in the link. The drop down gate in the first link is of european design, much later to guard castle entries.

Organized religion threw the baby out with the bath water long ago.

image search

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You're caught up in the European bastardized version of what the world looked like, i.e., European.

To be fair, I don't think it's a matter of being "caught up" in anything. History is written by the victors... and artists zealously guard their creative license and artistic vision... and there's always more to the story.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

In Jesus' time boats were even coming to Cornwall in the UK from the Middle East, trading for tin. It really was not that long ago.

Another subject I find absolutely fascinating!!! The Lost Tribes, Jesus' missing years, the Marys and the boat without oars... that could make an interesting thread itself...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Just placing a podcast lecture by Micheal Heiser ...Its very long but it deals with what did they think ...what was their world view and how did they understand their Old Testament as well as their neighbors .eta a link to a pic of what the Temple and the Roman fortress may have looked like . I don't know how to embed www.askelm.com...

edit on 30-3-2017 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thank you! What a great addition to the thread -- and much appreciated

I'm still listening, but it's always interesting to me the differing understandings by different people coming from different perspectives.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

To be fair, I don't think it's a matter of being "caught up" in anything. History is written by the victors... and artists zealously guard their creative license and artistic vision... and there's always more to the story.

Oh, thank you, I mistook you for a churchian.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I know it seems far fetched but some Christian sects believe that dinosaurs roamed the earth when Jesus was alive.

www.texastribune.org...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Oh, thank you...

My pleasure

...I mistook you for a churchian.

I understand why... But oh noes!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I know it seems far fetched but some Christian sects believe that dinosaurs roamed the earth when Jesus was alive.

When I first heard this -- in relation to Palin, I believe -- I didn't believe it.... I didn't believe that anyone could possibly still believe this. I was so wrong!

They are in the minority, but they're definitely out there

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Thanks for the links Boadicea.Learning about their lives back then can help us have a deeper understanding of what we have today.I jumped into the link about how did people tell time in Jesus day.

blog.adw.org...

For the ancient Jews, the day began at sundown. In larger towns, and especially in Jerusalem, the end of the day was marked by the sound of trumpets. This pattern is of course very different for us, who mark the beginning of the new day literally at midnight but practically most of us consider it as beginning at sunrise. We begin the day with work and then rest; they rested and then worked.

It strikes me novel that the people back then started the day at sundown.I can't remember learning that in Sunday school.I wonder if this is considered common knowledge?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

It strikes me novel that the people back then started the day at sundown.I can't remember learning that in Sunday school.I wonder if this is considered common knowledge?

What an intriguing observation -- thank you! I did quick search and apparently it's because the Torah refers to night before day, so the "clock" begins at sundown -- the beginning of night.

I don't remember it being taught in Sunday School either; nor in regular school. So I'm not sure where/how most people would even know -- much less be common knowledge. Maybe others will weigh in?

I first learned of it while reading theories about Jesus' true exact birth date, as it was necessary to know this fact in order to properly understand the Biblical passages pertaining to the time of Jesus' birth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join