It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump promised to bring back coal jobs. That promise ‘will not be kept,’ experts say.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Tiger5

Take your politics someplace else.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I watched that, his processor is getting real slow. In comes Ivanka.

"Yesterday in some symposium on the opioid addiction expert after expert outlined the problem as stemming from prescription drug abuse and at the end trump says .well we're gonna secure our southern border to keep Mexican herion out. WTF. "

If he wants be a real hero in history, he should offer these people's more training programs.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
The only reason the Scrubbers cost 2B per, is because the applications were bought up by Corps. and the price/cost was inflated by well over a thousand percent.
The investigations of that, like most, in these areas, were killed.
Imagine that.

Buck

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Maybe, just maybe Trump can revive the coal industry. But it won't really matter - the jobs are already automated.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

And there is the final whammy. Even if all this data and speculation are untrue, jobs will still be lost due to automation.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Trump should have done something actually useful and set up funds for current miners to train into a different field and for descendants of miners to get an education because we do owe a debt of gratitude to miners. Miners were poorly compensated for loss of health and life for a material that was hugely responsible for the advancement of this nation.

Instead he offers the false hope of revitalizing the coal industry and pushes a health care bill that allows insurance companies to stop covering Black Lung.
edit on 3/30/2017 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: soficrow

And there is the final whammy. Even if all this data and speculation are untrue, jobs will still be lost due to automation.

Yup. And them what's not gone yet will be soon enough.

/vernacular off/

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
The only reason the Scrubbers cost 2B per, is because the applications were bought up by Corps. and the price/cost was inflated by well over a thousand percent.
The investigations of that, like most, in these areas, were killed.
Imagine that.

Buck

Have you ever worked with coal? Coal is "Dirty" in every aspect, not just when you burn it.

As a longshoreman, I loaded millions of tons of coal on ships for export and I can tell you that it contaminates everything that touches it.

It ends up in & on your body and on your clothes, in your automobile, on your furniture, in you washing machine, etc., etc.. We even had it all over the paperwork inside the dockside office and no matter how hard you try to limit it, that sh#t ends up on everything.

Whether or not coal miners are willing to admit it, their jobs suck and now that we have the technology readily available, they deserve a helping hand up and out of the mines and a better way of providing for their families.

Not to mention the fact that it's good for the whole planet and the rest of us humans as well.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
Trump should have done something actually useful and set up funds for current miners to train into a different field and for descendants of miners to get an education because we do owe a debt of gratitude to miners. Miners were poorly compensated for loss of health and life for a material that was hugely responsible for the advancement of this nation.

Instead he offers the false hope of revitalizing the coal industry and pushes a health care bill that allows insurance companies to stop covering Black Lung.

This is a HUGE case of "I told you so." This is the exact bull# that we warned the Trump supporters he would do, and here he is doing it.
edit on 30-3-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Coal jobs are not going to come back in any meaningful numbers. There are currently 70,000 coal jobs. The renewable industry is at around 350,000 jobs.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Yeah. I think they deserve a hand up despite it though... lol

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I'm hoping the Democrats learned their lesson from last election and start pitching REAL solutions to these people's problems so they can start sniping away Trump's voting base, which is all that needs to be done to kick him out of office next election. It's not like he is interested in expanding his base or anything.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I think what Bernie is doing right now is the right way to go. If only the DNC would take his lead. I think they made a big mistake not going with Ellison, but that's entirely off topic.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I think what Bernie is doing right now is the right way to go. If only the DNC would take his lead. I think they made a big mistake not going with Ellison, but that's entirely off topic.

Off topic or not, and seeing how coal is apparently so dirty that no one even wants to talk about it in this thread,

I've got something to say about Bernie.....Don't know if you watched the recent town hall in coal country with Bernie Sanders and Chris Hayes, but one of the retired coal miners actually stood up and pointed out how ironic it was that someone from the upper northeast has a better understanding of his predicament and his needs than Mitch McConnell does coming from a coal producing state.

Then there was the young coal miner that Mitch McConnell is much better suited to represent, who said he thought we should keep on digging up coal until there ain't none left to dig up.

The poor guy is uneducated and scared to death that his livelihood is going up "without smoke" and he deserves better than to be continually lied to by the likes of Trump & McConnell.

Bernie is definitely on the right track!

And.....I couldn't agree more that the DNC missed an opportunity by passing on Ellison and they'll be making an even bigger mistake if they don't begin dismantling their system of utilizing superdelegates to override the will of the voter.

You know what they say, "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

Bernie should have been our nominee!!

The Clinton machine coupled with the DNC and their establishment superdelegates "screwed" us royally and had it not been for them, we wouldn't be having to deal with a dishonest idiot in the White House today.

I write Bernie on a semi-regular basis and I've repeatedly informed him that I'm through supporting the DNC until I see the end of superdelegates. Would probably help if others did the same.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there.

edit on 30-3-2017 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Flatfish

The Clinton machine coupled with the DNC and their establishment superdelegates "screwed" us royally and had it not been for them, we wouldn't be having to deal with a dishonest idiot in the White House today.

I write Bernie on a semi-regular basis and I've repeatedly informed him that I'm through supporting the DNC until I see the end of superdelegates. Would probably help if others did the same.

I'd be happy to do that, too......
was under the foolish impression that I could only write to my own Senators and Reps or my letter would be ignored......

so, it's okay to write to Bernie and Liz and Al and all those other folks who aren't from my state?

edit on 3/30/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

It's been my experience that Senators are much more receptive to input from people who are not their constituents than Congressmen are.

But Bernie is probably even more available than most because he was a recent presidential candidate and he's involved with the "Our Revolution" movement and the restructuring of the DNC.

You're right about Congressmen though.

Every time I call my representative, the first question they ask me is "where am I calling from and am I a voting constituent from his district."

And I don't think he takes written input from non-constituents either.

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Coal and renewables are not competitors. Coal is required to make steel. Steel is required to make buildings, cars, ships. Even if 100% of electricity is generated by wind and solar, there will always be coal miners.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Wind and solar take up a lot of space. Places like China and India don't have the space to generate all their electricity using wind and solar. Places like China and India import coal from the US to generate electricity with coal fired power plants which do not take up a lot of space.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Coal and renewables are not competitors. Coal is required to make steel.

Can you explain this some more, please? Is coal a critical component of steel, like flour is critical for a loaf of bread? Can steel be made without coal?

edit on 3/30/2017 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

How old are you that still remember grade school, I forgot about the idiots when I was in grade school already.

Anyway, this may not bring back the jobs that were lost but I am sure it will help keep the ones that are still available.

We have to wait and see.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join