It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Air Force in talks to fast track PCA

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby

There are rumors they went with at least a limited air to air capability from the get go.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I really hope that the idea of a "flying AEGIS" catches on. Now that stealth is mature is it's rumored to be with the B-21 (as are active anti-missile systems as well), the "flying fortress" idea now makes more sense than it ever has since WWII, if not significantly earlier.

I'd argue that it should push us back nearly to the early years of WWI Zeppelins in terms of the raw technological and tactical advantage that the -21 should offer, although now with significantly nastier teeth.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Ongoing development is a good idea. Get something out there that can help the troops now.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Have we heard any updates?

I've heard some rumors. I am not sure how much weight to give them.

Multiple sources are stating this is getting fast tracked.

Its sounding less and less like a missile or something like that: why would you look into the F-22 & F-35 engines if its a missile? Also most are calling it an interceptor that I've talked to.

Likewise, lasers have been ruled out for the A model as has the new engine being developed.

Total purchase numbers for the A model is said to be approximately 100.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They didnt increase funding for Next Generation Air Dominance in the latest appropriations act.
rules.house.gov...
PCA or PEA is not mentioned at all, so its safe to say its in there but classified.
Still puzzeled why they went public with those programs at all, especially PEA. Its essentially a nextgen Companion afterall...

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight
Must looking in the for year 2018 budget , I read on the web an increase for the NGAD www.politico.com... It speak about $295 million for futur NGAD.

edit on 23-5-2017 by darksidius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: darksidius
Yeah entirely possible. NGAD didnt show up in the leaked Budget documents though. We'll see. They should actually release the Presidents Budget Request for FY18 today if i'm not mistaken.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight
Little good news
www.defensenews.com...

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: darksidius

The service’s future fighter jet — referred to as either Next Generation Air Dominance or Penetrating Counter Air — raked in one of the largest boosts in the budget, going from $21 million to $295 million as it begins to mature technologies that could filter into the aircraft. The Air Force has not divulged what specific advances in weapons, sensor and mission systems it is currently exploring, but in March the service’s top uniformed acquisition official said that a large boost in funding would be needed to keep the program on pace with expectations defined in its Air Superiority 2030 roadmap.

From the above link.

I was under the impression the PCA and NGAD programs were separate. Have they merged? I have to admit, I hope not. The amount of money there is a big leap upwards and I'm a bit surprised. Didn't the B-21 effort do the same thing?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The term NGAD was dropped for PCA. They're the same program.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Interesting.

I had thought the PCA was a rapid capability and the NGAD was a broader replacement with all the bells and whistles.

Thank you.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Ouch Zaph, you beat me in this, i suppose i didn´t move fast enough!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

They started calling them 6th Gen, then went to NGAD to try to get generation out of the lexicon. Then they decided PCA is a better description.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

This increase in funding means that until now all goes according to plan, though it´s very early in the program.
I hope RCO people to manage this.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Fastmover

Even if they don't, you're going to see just about all the major programs run that way now. They saved way too much money so far, and they aren't going wildly over budget.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I thought there was something else other then 6th gen or between 6th gen and NGAD. And I also had the impression they wanted an accelerated response bird in a small number while they worked on NGAD. My bad.

Is it still the F-X though?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

It's F-XX. They didn't decide on if it would be an aircraft, or family of systems until a few months ago. They were looking at it being either or both.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

This PCA fighter would assist the Air Force's new bomber by flying nearby and shooting down any enemy fighters that might threaten the B-21s. The new fighter might also be equipped with standoff missiles to attack enemy ground-based air defenses, freeing up space in B-21s for ordnance to attack primary targets. The concept is similar to the long-ranged P-51D Mustang fighter of World War II, which accompanied B-17 raids over Germany and kept Luftwaffe Messerschmitts fighters at bay.

PCA is envisioned as operational by the 2030s. That's intriguing, because it means there could be four Air Force fighters flying in the mid-2030s: the F-22 Raptor, F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the upcoming F-X Sixth Generation Fighter, and the Penetrating Counter-Air.

www.popularmechanics.com...

Seems like I was not the only one confused. However, I deserve the ATS dunce cap for being in the same league as Popular Mechanics though!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

That was back before they completed their capabilities requirements study. They kept all their options open until that was completed.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Do you know if PEA is included in NGAD as well?

If anyone wants a detailed look:
comptroller.defense.gov...

Btw, is 0605285N Next Generation Fighter related to F-XX? Looks like it has been discontinued.

edit on 23-5-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join