It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials Worry Drones Will Become High Tech Terrorist Weapons

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, this certainly can cause havoc anywhere in the world. Drones are easy to hide, deploy and have a decent range. When outfitted with a camera, the operator can be hidden inside a parked vehicle and still hit a target. This article mentions that it's possible "for some unmanned aircraft to fly automatically." Scary stuff!

As millions of light-weight drones flood the consumer market and the U.S. government struggles with monitoring the devices, counter-terror agencies now see a possibility that they could be used here to carry explosives or as surveillance platforms, according to officials at a security conference in Washington on Wednesday.

Videos on YouTube and other sites show ISIS fighters using drones to drop bombs on opponents.

“Anyone who has ever seen or worked with C-4 knows it doesn’t take much against a high value target, be it a civil 747 or 757 full of passengers or even on the ramp flying into the intake of an engine and exploding it,” he said.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Lovely, I never liked the idea of non-military having access to these

edit on 29-3-2017 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Anyone who has ever seen or worked with C-4 knows it doesn’t take much

Where you get the C4 is anybodies guess.

They can control hobby drones and will, and blame it on terrorism, eventually.

As far as I know there are still IEDs going off overseas... kind of hard to eliminate that. Suicide car and truck bombs...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
A quadcopter as it is, is enough on it's own to do plenty of damage, and quickly too.

To add, ISIS has already done that,

And,

edit on 29-3-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

This is why we can't have nice things.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Anyone who has ever seen or worked with C-4 knows it doesn’t take much

Where you get the C4 is anybodies guess.

They can control hobby drones and will, and blame it on terrorism, eventually.

As far as I know there are still IEDs going off overseas... kind of hard to eliminate that. Suicide car and truck bombs...

Any idea if the soldiers in the tanks can survive something like that?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
You don't say. They are a proven asset, that we have been using now for several years. They don't need to blow stuff up necessarily ........ They could foul the High tension K-Watt lines all over. They do run through remote places.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Mate, did you actually watch the first video, it's a shocker, just saying it's about as real as rainbow unicorns.

Aside from that, the chance of terrorists using drones in the future is somewhere around 100% IMO. The only questions are where ? when , and how big ?.

I should add, to avoid excessive negativity, I believe the "when" is still some way off.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Any idea if the soldiers in the tanks can survive something like that?

Depends on the size of the charge, what its made of. If you analyze the footage you see they show a couple times where the vehicles nearby were set ablaze.

In a full on on M1 Abrahams with reactive armor, they are well protected from the concussion, its the sudden lateral shift, tends to snap necks or bang ones head against the interior of the tank.

Lots of veterans return from theater with spinal, neck and head injuries from IEDs and suicide bombs.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Mate, did you actually watch the first video, it's a shocker, just saying it's about as real as rainbow unicorns.

Aside from that, the chance of terrorists using drones in the future is somewhere around 100% IMO. The only questions are where ? when , and how big ?.

I should add, to avoid excessive negativity, I believe the "when" is still some way off.

DUuuh! They are real, not that great damage was done, but they will hurt. The idea of the two videos though was to set one against the other, maybe this one explain things more,

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar

Lovely, I never liked the idea of non-military having access to these

They have many uses, from recreation to commercial, firefighting, farming, you name it. "drones" are also just regular RC airplanes with a camera/tx. I would be fuming if they tried to ban these because RC stuff is something I am interested in. Don't worry, there are simple devices now that jam the signal and can take drones out of the sky very easily.

Don't punish the 99.9999% of the people and businesses that use them for good millions of times daily.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Damn, the power of these suicide car bombs are unreal, as shown in the clip. Can you imagine in 5 years when the self driving car craze becomes more popular? ISIS can hire computer tech people to teach them how to hack into them and drive them into crowds anywhere in the world. Or pack a self driving Uber car full of explosives and remotely control it to their target. It's just a matter of time before terrorists tap into vulnerabilities with this new technology and use it against us.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

From your Title

"Officials Worry"

Since when did they not? ....... ok so airborne drones are relatively new, being reported in the UK that there have been several near misses involving Aviation, both passenger airliners and helicopters. Also these things are used to fly contraband into prisons etc ......

For one, a plastic drone is not going to cause much damage to a 737 or A320, even the engines will spew it out as scrap, perhaps a more expensive drone could cause more damage. contraband? put a fkn net over the bars of the window ..... guess what, contraband transfer eliminated.

Officials Worry ........ well worry about all RC vehicles, both airborne, land based and pond based ....... Mr Terrorist i'm sure, can turn his hand into weaponising anything

FFS, we cant take laptops on flights anymore, never mind liquids and other s h i t e that have been banned recently.

Who is terrorising us? the government or the terrorist?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

I hear you and that certainly wouldn't be fair. However, the problem with knocking a "terrorist" drone out of the sky, is knowing that it's in flight toward a given target. I guess that's why the NSA insists on hacking into just about every consumer electronic device in order to discover potential terrorist activity and threats. They are in fact punishing the 99.9% of citizens who are law abiding and causing no problems. If the government can tap into our privacy, they certainly could outlaw drones if it becomes a popular weapon for terrorists. All it would take is one major "incident."

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

By then there will be even more victims of NATO bombing campaigns who have lost all hope because their parents, family, friends and homes have been blown to bits.

How angry does that make someone you figure?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

This is why we can't have nice things.

Too true. Also the same reason why we can never fully evolve.

Some light reading for everyone. Hacked and cracked drones.
www.futurity.org...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: corblimeyguvnor

BOTH

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

DUuuh! They are real

Please tell me you don't believe that.

Don't get me wrong, some of the CGI is not too bad, but seriously ...... IT'S PROPAGANDA, designed to spread fear.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Boy, talk about spinning the topic 180 degrees. I thought the topic was about the fear and deaths caused by terrorism? What about these victims? I wish there were no casualties of war and terror in the world. That would be great, but how do we prevent this? Do we stop targeting terrorists? Do we ignore the situation altogether?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

However, the problem with knocking a "terrorist" drone out of the sky, is knowing that it's in flight toward a given target.

Lol that is true. I hear what you are saying. It is tricky. I wonder what kind of restrictions are on the horizon. I just hope they don't kill the hobby is all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join