It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tarot:A Brief Introduction to the Major Arcana

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I enjoy studying the symbolism of the Tarot.My interest lies mostly in the psychological aspects the cards represent.I find Tarot symbolism can help give one a deeper understanding of the Archetypes, and different challenges life throws at us.

I'd like to share a link that I keep returning to over the years.

James Donahue goes through each of the cards in the Major Arcana:
perdurabo10.tripod.com...

There are some good insights to be found in his commentary,his take on a Fool's encounter with the Hierophant comes to mind;

perdurabo10.tripod.com...
But as he travels on the Fool is struck with an unexpected fear. What, he asks himself, if misfortune comes his way and all that he has worked for is taken from him, or he fails to be good enough? He has a sudden sense of panic and turns into a holy place for solstice. Here he finds the Hierophant, the wise teacher. The Fool throws himself at the feet of the shaman and reveals his fears, asking how he can be free of them.

The Hierophant is blunt with his answer. “Either give up that which you fear to lose so it no longer holds power over you, or consider what you will still have if your fear comes to pass,” he says. He agrees that material things may be lost at any time during our journey through life, but we never lose the knowledge and skills we have gained, the memories and the experience of having achieved our goals. With these tools, there is little to stop us from starting over and doing it all again, and even better the second time around.

The page serves as a great introduction to the Tarot, and I find it easy reading.Take a look if you enjoy the symbolism of the Tarot.

Please feel free to share any links about Tarot in a similar vein, I enjoyed the way he went through the cards.It would be interesting to check similar styled commentary on the Minor Arcana for example...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

I'll do some more tarot readings. I might streamline my technique to make it faster to get back to people.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake

I'll do some more tarot readings. I might streamline my technique to make it faster to get back to people.

That'd be pretty cool.It's always inspiring to see someone share their talents like that.

Darkbake, I have yet to check your Tarot thread, but it sounds like you are experienced in doing readings.I was wondering if you read mostly for others or still do the occasional reading for yourself...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I have been a member of the BOTA for a couple decades...they have volumes of info, but I suspect you're familiar

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Cards are fun to play around with, but I find my Intuition is a hell of a lot stronger than a card deck.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
I have been a member of the BOTA for a couple decades...they have volumes of info, but I suspect you're familiar

I have come across positive references to BOTA over the years, mostly when I was looking into Hermetics.The instruction they offer appeals to my esoteric interests, I should take another look into them again.The benefits of a more structured pursuit of my interests in these areas, is something for me to contemplate...

originally posted by: RisenMessiah
Cards are fun to play around with, but I find my Intuition is a hell of a lot stronger than a card deck.

I first started investigating the Tarot in my teens, learning some basic spreads and symbology.The divination aspect has become secondary now.I believe that practicing divination is a good tool for learning to become familiar with one's intuition.Psychologically, the Tarot still fascinates me.I feel they are usefull for illustrating the layers of energy that come to play in our relationships with ourselves and each other....

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   

I haven't read much lately, but yes I do both readings for others and myself. Lately, I have been using the I Ching, which involves flipping coins to determine yin or yang lines (there are two sets of 3).

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I would have to agree with that. Everything takes steps, and humanity will continue to go from glory to glory in their search for truth.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I recommend the BOTA coursework. U havent done my practice in a while but I intend to get back. The studies go deep deep down the symbolism rabbit hole. Very enlightening.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
I haven't read much lately, but yes I do both readings for others and myself. Lately, I have been using the I Ching, which involves flipping coins to determine yin or yang lines (there are two sets of 3).

This brings back some fond memories of packing around 12 Channels of the I Ching long ago.Idk, maybe it's an east/west thing, I tend to view the Tarot in a more serious kind of mood.I Ching I found more fun.I haven't done much divination in a long time, so I appreciate you mentioning it.I Ching had largely slipped my mind.Makes me want to take a look over some of my journals from back then...

originally posted by: RisenMessiah
I would have to agree with that. Everything takes steps, and humanity will continue to go from glory to glory in their search for truth.

So true, I'm smiling, feeling a sense of nostalgia looking back on Tarot and my life over the last 25 years.In a sense, the search for truth opens up a whole new world.

Thanks for your input gentlemen, I originally was going to post this to my wall but am glad I shared here instead.
:triple:brofist:

edit on 31-3-2017 by dffrntkndfnml because: grammer

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Awesome and brofist back at ya my man!

posted on Jul, 10 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
You'll die if you visit this

top topics

join