It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How North Korea could kill 90 percent of Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
A sensational title to say the least...but maybe we should pay attention, when the article is written by a former CIA Director.

The mainstream media, and some officials who should know better, continue to allege North Korea does not yet have capability to deliver on its repeated threats to strike the U.S. with nuclear weapons. False reassurance is given to the American people that North Korea has not “demonstrated” that it can miniaturize a nuclear warhead small enough for missile delivery, or build a reentry vehicle for an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of penetrating the atmosphere to blast a U.S. city.

So, according to Mr. Woolsey, the MSM and others are maintaining some kind of fiction that the North Koreans have not figured out how to deliver a nuclear payload. So, what is the actual truth then?

Eight years ago, in 2008, the CIA's top East Asia analyst publicly stated North Korea successfully miniaturized nuclear warheads for delivery on its Nodong medium-range missile. The Nodong is able to strike South Korea and Japan or, if launched off a freighter, even the United States.

In 2011, the Director of the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), Lt. General Ronald Burgess, testified before the Senate Armed Services Committee that North Korea has weaponized its nuclear devices into warheads for arming ballistic missiles.

On April 7, 2015, at a Pentagon press conference, Admiral William Gortney, then Commander of North American Aerospace Defense (NORAD), responsible for protecting the U.S. from long-range missiles, warned that the intelligence community assesses North Korea's KN-08 mobile ICBM could strike the U.S. with a nuclear warhead.

Okay, so apparently the North Koreans have actually mastered both warhead miniaturization and the ballistic missile technology needed to deliver an A or H Bomb. But what is the real threat...because delivering one or two nukes on American cities would surely result in the immediate and total destruction of Kim's country?

In February and March of 2015, former senior national security officials of the Reagan and Clinton administrations warned that North Korea should be regarded as capable of delivering by satellite a small nuclear warhead, specially designed to make a high-altitude electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack against the United States. According to the Congressional EMP Commission, a single warhead delivered by North Korean satellite could blackout the national electric grid and other life-sustaining critical infrastructures for over a year—killing 9 of 10 Americans by starvation and societal collapse.

Two North Korean satellites, the KMS-3 and KMS-4, presently orbit over the U.S. on trajectories consistent with surprise EMP attack.

North Korean then, theoretically has the present capability to basically wipe out the USA with a single EMP nuke. American submarine forces would no doubt then return the favour...so this still sounds like a MAD scenario.

The difference here may well be that the North Korean dictator just might be crazy enough to think it would be cool to watch the world go up like a torch, and billions of people to die, as he sits safely in his bunker surrounded by a clutch of adoring followers and plenty of food, drinks and popcorn.

Maybe we should actually believe him when he publishes his videos showing the US being destroyed by North Korean nuclear weapons. Maybe, because it would never affect him personally, this fantasy is like one giant video game to him.

North Korea May Not Be Bluffing

Sounds like a job for Seal Team Six (or similar)...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
surely there is something in place that allows these satellites to be investigated?
I'd be really surprised if there was anything in orbit over the continental US that hadn't had a close look by one of the alphabet agencies.

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

They use radar and optical tracking of satellites as they go overhead to determine their possible mission.

I have no doubt North Korea is more of a threat than most people think they are, but I trust the intelligence community about as far as I can throw my truck when it's fully loaded.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They use radar and optical tracking of satellites as they go overhead to determine their possible mission.

I have no doubt North Korea is more of a threat than most people think they are, but I trust the intelligence community about as far as I can throw my truck when it's fully loaded.

I agree with your last point.
I would say, though, that no matter how messed up the intel weenies are, they ain't going to want to lose that beach house, the flashy car and the six figure pension cheque that comes with the job, which is what would happen after a massive EMP attack as the OP describes.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

North Korean then, theoretically has the present capability to basically wipe out the USA with a single EMP nuke.

Pretty sure it does not work that way .

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Sounds like Kim Jong-Un read "The Little Mouse That Roared", or the book is just another one of those cases where life imitates art.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Sounds like a job for the X-37, no?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

A sensational title to say the least...but maybe we should pay attention, when the article is written by a former CIA Director.

Thats how we know its Bulls***. More likely we will decimate the rest of some whole peninsula formerly known as Korea, just like we are doing the ME, right friggin now.

Iraq

Syria

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

but I trust the intelligence community about as far as I can throw my truck when it's fully loaded.

Yeah...maybe they're trying to buy more toys from their contractor buddies that they own shares in.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Due to the fact that America is hated by so many, wouldn't that hypothetical scenario turn North Korea from a sabre-rattling boogieman into the Country that Everyone Loves virtually over night?

(I'm totally kidding if you didn't get that)

I would hope the US missile defense systems are operating at peak performance. Quite an alarming title.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

No they don't, but what are they really risking? In fact if they say they can do it, when they aren't quite there yet, they're likely to get more money. Congress is going to decide to invest more money into intelligence gathering, especially in that area.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PokeyJoe

I'm sure it's taken a pretty good look at more than a few satellites near its orbit.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

For sure it would be ugly.

An emp over the northeast would be really really bad.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

No they don't, but what are they really risking? In fact if they say they can do it, when they aren't quite there yet, they're likely to get more money. Congress is going to decide to invest more money into intelligence gathering, especially in that area.

Yeah, my point was more that, there is no way in hell the alphabets would let anyone stick a satellite over the US that posed an actual threat.

I agree that this report is probably about getting a bigger slice of pie, rather than unveiling an actual, credible threat.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Burgess, Woolsey... hmmm...

Let me guess. These two fellows were probably among those guys who honourably refused to engage in any activity aimed at Iraq, owing to the overwhelming smell of bullcrap issuing forth from the dossier alleging the threat posed?

I thought not. I have no interest in what these warmongering pieces of walking dirt have to say about North Korea, or anywhere else. Intelligence sources cannot be trusted to give the people the truth where military matters are concerned.
edit on 29-3-2017 by TrueBrit because: The hell with those guys

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: hutch622

For sure it would be ugly.

An emp over the northeast would be really really bad.

YEah and instantly you have millions of volunteers wanting pay back just itching to be given a gun to enact some revenge.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Yup. We'd need it.

They got alot of troops, reserves and paramilitary.

But it would definitely be poking the hornets nest. Something they may want to rethink.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Beach house and fancy car?

Lol. Maybe once they get into the private sector. More like 800k mortgage on a small house in Fairfax county, kids college tuitions, and popping vitamin d all day working in windowless vaults...

Id wager that only case officers / former operator types get the royalty treatment at the company but I could be mistaken...

As far as these threats - Zaphod is right in any agency the folks higher up are concerned with getting a slice of that appropriations pie and being able to say - look at all the good I did so they can get that SES gig they want.

Not taking this all with a grain of salt but there's reasons out there this kim jong character hasn't nuked anyone yet despite the threats...
edit on th20173-0500fCDT092017Wed, 29 Mar 2017 09:15:48 -0500 by SonOfThor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Didn't the game Homefront covers this scenario?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

North Korean then, theoretically has the present capability to basically wipe out the USA with a single EMP nuke.

Pretty sure it does not work that way .

As I understand it, the human devastation would be mainly indirect. An EMP could take down the national electrical grid, and do a lot of direct damage to electronic devices (like computers, cars, control systems, etc.) rendering near total chaos across the nation.

Without electricity there are no gas pumps, freezers or refrigerators. With the majority of cars and trucks disabled, there are no delivery systems for food, water and medical supplies. With no computer systems there is no internet (aaaaaahhh!!), no banking systems (no cash from ATMs), cell phone service, etc., etc.

If an EMP was delivered during the winter, people in the Northern US (and Canada) would have no heat.

So...people would be cold, hungry, without money, emergency services would be practically useless (so there would be literal house to house combat as people searched for food...and other things). You know, your basic post-apocalypse movie stuff...

And how do you say it works?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join