It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush Proposes Extra $250,000 in "Death Gratuities" To Families Of US Soldiers KIA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
President Bush will reportedly propose a new plan to further compensate families for loved ones killed in warzones in Iraq and Afghanistan. The plan includes retroactive payments back to October 2001, at the start of the first war. The current death gratuity of $12,420 would be raised to $100,000, and the government would also cover the costs for increased pemiums to raise insurance from benefits from $250,000 to $400,000.

www.military.com
(AP), WASHINGTON- "We think the nation ought to make a larger one-time payment, quite apart from insurance, should you be killed in a combat area of operations," David Chu, the undersecretary of defense for personnel and readiness, said in an interview in his Pentagon office.

"We can never in any program give someone back their loved one," he added. "There is nothing we can do about the hurt, to make it go away. But we can make your circumstances reasonable, in terms of finances."

Under the administration's proposal, the 53 military members who were killed in the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon would not get the higher gratuity, a spokeswoman said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Awe, how sweet. To me, this really stinks to high heaven, and is laced all over with alterior motives. Honestly, I think the administration is feeling guilty that since they couldn't deliver the promised WMD's, they would surely not want the families to think that their sons and daughters died in vain, now huh? So no problem, we'll just buy them off.

But of course they did not die in vain, along with the other 100,000 or so killed in Iraq. I mean jeez, they had the elections right? All those free people now, who are a little closer to their religious leaders, both for consolation because of their devastated families and property, and also to proclaim loyaly to their respective religious factions over the elections. Such is the cost of American-imposed freedom.

Since when has an administration taken such a sudden interest to compensate families of those killed in wars? This is really great, this is. Those poor people over there have just had their country torn apart, witnessed unspeakable horrors, lost thousands of family members, and the families of OUR American dead are going to walk away with hundreds of thousands of dollars each. Oh no no, sorry, I know this is just out of the goodness of GW's heart. What was I thinking.

Hey, how about you put up some of that money at least to the soldiers who are risking their tails over there. Give them each a hefty leave of absence, and let them go spend some of it on what they want. If anyone deserves it is them. And the people in Iraq of course. But no worries, Halliburton will take care of them, I'm sure.

Related News Links:
www.startribune.com
www.commondreams.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US death toll in Iraq reaches 1200.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:35 AM
link   
When I was in the service, combat pay was $65. a month and insurance benefits were $10,000. I took out a policy of my own in that amount and indeed, that was a lot of money in those days. Alas, no one received a windfall from my demise.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The government was being criticized for too low a benefit so they raise it and now there getting criticized for having alterior motives in doing so...damned if you do damned if you don't.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
If they hadn't been dragged there to fight in this immoral war in the first place, their families wouldn't need the money would they ?
I'm sure they would rather have their loved one safe at home rather than getting $250k and a corpse.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I think on the surface this is an excellent idea. I do have a few nagging doubts.

Does the payment hinge on any sort of non disclosure agreement or waiver? Is this cutting lawsuits off at the pass? This could have enormous impact on how the new program is received by angry widow/ers.

What assurances can the White House give that this isn't compounding the already dire financial situation in this country. We can argue this point somewhere else, but I have seen a mountain of evidence pointing to a bankrupt America in the near future. The total cost to the government, I project, will be well over a billion dollars. That's assuming we only end up with 4-5k dead. It could be higher by a factor of 10 before this 'crusade against evil' is over. We should be braking (on all fronts) and this program could be just another instance of lead footed driving.

The assistance for disabled vets was cut quite recently, I assume this money wasn't available for them? I agree death is a horrible weight to bear, but if you really think about it, the families with loved ones perpetually in the hospital NEED the money more. A dead spouse means a lost income, an injured spouse means a lost income and a host of additional bills. There is a lot of inefficiency and overcrowding in Vet hospitals. They are often short supplied, and have to go through paperwork intensive rigamarole to fulfill the needs of their patients. In the end, what I'm saying is, fixing the muffler of a broken down car won't necessarily get you on the road.

We should approach our whole screwed up country and the equally screwed up world around us with a holistic approach, and try to find a workable solution, rather than constantly relying on death, intimidation, and carnage to make our politcal points. Some people say Islam won't be happy until they control the world, others say Bush and Co. won't rest until they have it all. I say, no man ever will, as long as the path to fulfillment and comfort has a cover charge. Fix problems, don't try to fix people. The former is costly and takes lots of thought, the latter is simply impossible, it's useless, arrogant, and never well received.

We should turn America into a revolutionary new kind of Agro-Industrial Giant. Using advances in Hydroponics, Robotics, Architecture, and Psychology, we are closer to Utopia than ever..but it has never felt farther away. 4 Years is all it would take, and the complete withdrawal of all military from all foreign lands. We should be like a turtle in its shell until our many wounds can be licked.

My final analysis: The monetary equivalent to 100,000 bags of tater tots can't make up for a life lost. Make it a million bucks. Make it a billion dollars, tax free, every month for life - the widow/ers still have to spend that money in the hall of mirrors we call consumerist America. The money ends up right back in the pockets of the people whos interests were being protected in the Middle East. Every time you fill up your car with gasoline, think about that fat white guy making back all the money he paid you (to make him money) 9-5. Think about it when you buy scratch off tickets, lottery, stocks, etc.. It's a no win situation people.

You've been told your whole life you could 'win' the game. You aren't even in the game, you are a cog in its juggernaut wheels. Oh..and don't panic or anything, but there are substance abusers, a guy with heart problems, and a sadist driving. I'll leave it up to you to figure out who's who in the administration. I'm not a democrat either, before you assume. I favor an old fashioned platform, labeled logic.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Death 'gratuities' ...
Death BENEFITS.

The government is helping those left
behind when their family member gave
his/her life to help make the world safer
and the Iraqi's lives better. And people
complain. Like the previous poster said ..
damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Amazing, if Bush went on National televison and said since the invasion of Iraq, we now have a surplus of money from all the oil we won and we are going to send every family in America a check for 20,000, some of you would still bitch, or tell us how it was harder when it happened to you.

There is no incentive to dying, but there can be support, and in this day and age money helps. Personally, I would rather see the monies put in trust funds for soldiers with children for their education, but this is a start. This is not stating that we are buying soldiers with blood money, they do that with the GI Bill and signing bonuses. This affords a widow a chance to save her home, children and try to move forward, not on, when she loses her soulmate.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I agree with you esdad. Unfortunately times of war happen. You may agree or disagree with the premise but they do happen. They always have, and always will. The US Armed forces are a purely volunteer force. When you volunteer during peace, you get benefits. College tuition reimbursement, learning a trade, room and board, etc....
Sometimes you are called up to serve, and fatality is a grim reality I'm afraid. I think that this is a very good gesture from the government towards it's brave men and women fighting abroad. No one wants a corpse, however should the worst happen this extra money could go a long way to help the grieving families.
I grew up in a military family, and saw first hand the devastation that a fallen fighter had on their families. I saw good upstanding families fall into financial ruin due to the fact that their family member fell in battle.
I for one think this is good.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
"Death Gratuities" Now we have a price tag to our death love ones in Bushes war, so the families should be satisfy and happy for the value of their death families members.

How do I feel? I feel that the government is insulting the families of our death.

Why? Our government is buying out their silence about the war justification. All this money makes us Americans look like everything has a price and can be bought for the right price, even a human life.

Disgusting.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hold on, think about this....

Imagine you are a mother of 3 . Now, imagine your husband goes to Iraq and is KIA. You have a mortage, car payments, credit cards ,electric, all these things that build up...and you will be grieving your husband for months,even years, wondering how you will get by without him...thow you will pay the bills...this would help immensely.

The government is not buying your silence, this is not a hush payment, with a non-disclosure agreement, it is giving a family a chance to move forward, not on. I think these people deserve the money more than the victims of 9/11, and people don't complain about that. I hope this can come to fruition in some manner.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Some day we will read in the newspaper: "Black Widow hired insurgent sniper for benefits..."

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   

"Death Gratuities" Now we have a price tag to our death love ones in Bushes war, so the families should be satisfy and happy for the value of their death families members.

How do I feel? I feel that the government is insulting the families of our death.

Are you serious? Like esdad said this is not a payoff or hush money. It is not a badge of honor. It is a helping hand to those who have lost someone in battle. I for one think that if I were to be KIA, I would WANT my family to have the resources to move forward.
I respect your opinion, but I could not disagree with you any more on this issue.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71

Hold on, think about this....

Imagine you are a mother of 3 . Now, imagine your husband goes to Iraq and is KIA. You have a mortage, car payments, credit cards ,electric, all these things that build up...and you will be grieving your husband for months,even years, wondering how you will get by without him...thow you will pay the bills...this would help immensely.

Exactly, so you should be happy with the generosity our government in buying you out of "your debt and sufering" with a prices tag for the death.

So take the money pay your debts and tell your children than daddy's was worth more death than alive.

Perfect.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So you would not take the money?

C'mon Marg, sometimes I truly do not understand where you are coming from, and I would like to. Help me here, how is this wrong?

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Though the thought is great, I really cant help to think its just hot air,
this is just like the hydrogen car initiative and going back to the moon.
Sounds great but the funding will never materialize.

ohplease

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   
They point is (why this now with the Iraqi war), why is the hidden motive? my husbands death benefits stay the same for 22 years, during his time as a service member.

We always had more insurance, that was part of being resposible.

Now the government is making this an issue, for what?

To feel better about the deaths in Iraq?

What else?

Money is an issue always and money is always welcome, but at the expenses of the death in bushes war?

That is my problem and my issue.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is not money at the expense of death, death will occur with or without the money. They (the government) are not making this an issue, you are, by saying that it is a payoff for death.

This is not done in guilt for godsakes. I find it hard to believe that an idea of this nature could be turned and twisted by some of your words as an evil action.

Hopefully it is not a bunch of hot air, and these families that are left with an empty spot can take the time to mourn with the security of that money.

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Yes we will still bitch about this, because it is like a total flip flop
a waffle...

yes, you heard me Bush is a waffle (with syrup)

Bush was getting bashed publically about how he was screwing the VA out of futute benefits...

It is almost like this is a direct ploy to oppose that thinking...

and done quite blindly... just throwing random lottery amounts to shut the masses up... (while raising the cost of the war several billion)

what would have been wrong with merely reinstating the benefits he slashed, to the tune of a few million...

I wasn't hearing anyone complain about how much the death benefits were...
I was hearing (and still do) about the terrible way this administration has ignored the wounded soldiers...

and one final point... I didn't see anything on reinstating any VA benefits... so this seems to be an incentive to die in battle rather than get wounded... because if you are wounded, then your still screwed...

not exactly the incentive i want a wounded soldier waiting for a medic to have on his mind...

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong
Yes we will still bitch about this, because it is like a total flip flop
a waffle...

and one final point... I didn't see anything on reinstating any VA benefits... so this seems to be an incentive to die in battle rather than get wounded... because if you are wounded, then your still screwed...

not exactly the incentive i want a wounded soldier waiting for a medic to have on his mind...

Thanks for that post, you hit the spot, if you are death, you are death, but how about the thousands of disable soldiers coming from Iraq, how about them.

Who is going to pay for the lost of income now that they have to go through years of treatment, how about the ones that will never be able to work again.

How about their families, is the government going to buy them out too?

Where is the compensation for their lost and suffering.

new topics

top topics

join