It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomorrow, on US soil, many American flags will be desecrated and burnt.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

That's punishment.
Oh and I do believe they get paid. Pittance yes but they get paid making this not slave labor.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: redmage

Give me a break. You really want to take issue with the solidarity afforded to us as a salve after the worst attack on American soil? We flew the flag to show we were together. We flew the flag to show the terrorists they hadn't won. We flew the flag because it help us to feel less violated.
But you? You worried because the dark got on it? Because it got wet?

When Frances Scott Key wrote the star spangled banner he told the story of how after a horrible night with bombs and cannon balls flying the first rays of dawn revealed that his beloved symbol of freedom was still up there. I am a patriot. My flag can take the cannons and bombs and isn't afraid of the dark either!

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: carewemust

I'm betting that no matter how they report on it they'll trigger Trump supporters somehow. They always do, as intended.

Especially if they bring up the fact that Trump dodged the draft 4 times during the Vietnam conflict.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Give me a break. You really want to take issue with the solidarity afforded to us as a salve after the worst attack on American soil? We flew the flag to show we were together. We flew the flag to show the terrorists they hadn't won. We flew the flag because it help us to feel less violated.
But you? You worried because the dark got on it? Because it got wet?

No, you misunderstood.

I take issue with the hypocrisy.

Personally, I see no difference between flying it in the rain, burning it, flying it at night without lighting, etc. It's all disrespectful.

Again, what I took issue with was the hypocrisy.

If you want to disrespect the flag by burning it in protest, then have at it. If you want to disrespect the flag by flying it in the rain in protest, then have at it. If you want to fly it in protest at night with no lighting, then have at it. Just don't try to claim you're being "patriotic" through repeated and continual disrespect of the flag.

Flying the flag simply became mindless and hypocritical "virtue signaling" (it's not just a left-wing phenomenon) for far too many after 9/11.

If it's truly important to someone, then they take the time and care to fly the flag in a respectful manner. The fact of the matter is that to a large group it isn't truly important enough to bother doing it respectfully.

My flag can take the cannons and bombs and isn't afraid of the dark either!

It's cloth. Of course it doesn't have emotions like fear.

I'm simply letting you know that if you're flying it at night without lighting, flying it in the rain, etc.; Soldiers, and even little Cub Scouts, understand and see that you don't truly care enough to be bothered with respecting the flag. That's right, even the lil' Scouts in grade school see through the charade. They take turns in the Honor Guard at their monthly pack meetings, and they learn the United States Flag Code while doing such. Don't assume they don't notice houses touting flags with no floodlight while they're out on those canned food drives, and fundraiser sales. Kids love "busting" adults who are breaking the rules, and can spot lazy/phony "patriots" with ease.
edit on 3/29/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Umm in Nam they flew flags without light on them as well. same as in WW2 So its not disresptful. Thats you trying to say you are better than someone else.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why are you all so defensive? Nobody gives a # if you fly your flag. Go for it.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
So..., were there a lot of people out there burning flags today?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

36 USC §174. Time and occasions for display:

(a) Display on buildings and stationary flagstaffs in open; night display

It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

(b) Manner of hoisting

The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

(c) Inclement weather

The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.

(d) Particular days of display

The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on New Year's Day, January 1; Inauguration Day, January 20; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Independence Day, July 4; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

(e) Display on or near administration building of public institutions

The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.

(f) Display in or near polling places

The flag should be displayed in or near every polling place on election days.

(g) Display in or near schoolhouses

The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
Umm in Nam they flew flags without light on them as well. same as in WW2 So its not disresptful. Thats you trying to say you are better than someone else.

No, it's called the United States Flag Code.

Xcalibur254 was kind enough to quote and bold it for you.

Yes, even Scouts learn the U.S. Flag Code for their Honor Guard duties at their monthly pack/troop meetings.

As for Nam and WW2, "This etiquette is as applied within U.S. jurisdiction. In other countries and places, local etiquette applies.". Furthermore, the Code became Public Law 77-623; chapter 435 on June 22, 1942; so, it became law midway through WW2.

There is absolutely nothing disrespectful, or unpatriotic about abstaining from flying the flag at one's personal residence; however, the same cannot be said about someone choosing to hang a flag at their home while disrespecting it nightly through breaking the United States Flag Code, and many consider the former (abstaining) to be more patriotic than the latter (repeated disrespect under the guise of "patriotism").

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

36 USC §174. Time and occasions for display:

(a) Display on buildings and stationary flagstaffs in open; night display

It is the universal custom to display the flag only from sunrise to sunset on buildings and on stationary flagstaffs in the open. However, when a patriotic effect is desired, the flag may be displayed twenty-four hours a day if properly illuminated during the hours of darkness.

(b) Manner of hoisting

The flag should be hoisted briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

(c) Inclement weather

The flag should not be displayed on days when the weather is inclement, except when an all weather flag is displayed.

(d) Particular days of display

The flag should be displayed on all days, especially on New Year's Day, January 1; Inauguration Day, January 20; Lincoln's Birthday, February 12; Washington's Birthday, third Monday in February; Easter Sunday (variable); Mother's Day, second Sunday in May; Armed Forces Day, third Saturday in May; Memorial Day (half-staff until noon), the last Monday in May; Flag Day, June 14; Independence Day, July 4; Labor Day, first Monday in September; Constitution Day, September 17; Columbus Day, second Monday in October; Navy Day, October 27; Veterans Day, November 11; Thanksgiving Day, fourth Thursday in November; Christmas Day, December 25; and such other days as may be proclaimed by the President of the United States; the birthdays of States (date of admission); and on State holidays.

(e) Display on or near administration building of public institutions

The flag should be displayed daily on or near the main administration building of every public institution.

(f) Display in or near polling places

The flag should be displayed in or near every polling place on election days.

(g) Display in or near schoolhouses

The flag should be displayed during school days in or near every schoolhouse.

A HOME is not subject to said code. Its your castle and as such you can fly it upside down legally if you want to.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

See previous post. Your home you can fly it however you want.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Yes, we still have freedom of expression. You "can" disrespect the flag however you want to, but "can" wasn't part of the debate. No one was disputing that.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: redmage

Yes, we still have freedom of expression. You "can" disrespect the flag however you want to, but "can" wasn't part of the debate. No one was disputing that.

It comes down to opinion and perception. In your OP its disrespectful. in mine its not. Thats it. Next.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Has anyone ever asked the flag how it feels about these actions?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Has anyone ever asked the flag how it feels about these actions?

Its a silent protaganist

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

5 deferments. 4 for college and 1 for bone spurs in his feet. funny those bone spurs don't keep him from playing golf at mar a lago every weekend......but i digress...soooo how many flags were burned yesterday?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

5 deferments. 4 for college and 1 for bone spurs in his feet. funny those bone spurs don't keep him from playing golf at mar a lago every weekend......but i digress...soooo how many flags were burned yesterday?

5, really? Sshhh, funny nobody seems to want to mention that too much in threads like this isn't it?

Dunno if any flags were burned as part of any protest.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You're smarter than that, Burd, and if you bothered to read the thread, your "question" has already been addressed.

originally posted by: redmage

My flag can take the cannons and bombs and isn't afraid of the dark either!

It's cloth. Of course it doesn't have emotions....

Another straw man. Again, flags being sentient isn't part of the debate. No one is claiming that flags have feelings.
edit on 3/30/17 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Sooooo... Was there a lot of burning, and weeping, and tears because of said burnings?

Or was it just another stupid fear-mongering and clickbait-triggering, as it seems so usual and casual in modern USA?

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

How can he get 5?

Was he drafted 5 times?

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join