It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article 50: May signs letter that will trigger Brexit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Everything is in the title : as from 12.30 tomorrow (european time)
the 'UK' leaves the European union
It's done

*The 'UK' (" "because Scotland and Northern ireland wish to stay in Europe)

David Cameron, the man who facilitated the break-up the 'United Kingdom'
Theresa May the un-elected enabler
Both will go down in history for wrong reasons

England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales; all untied from their respective donkey's tail...
Hmmm, not sure, be carefull what you wish for

Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK's departure from the European Union.
Giving official notice under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, it will be delivered to European Council president Donald Tusk on Wednesday

As if you'd need a link

It's so stupid

Maybe, clutching at invisible straws here,
it could be argued that given that May is an un-elected Prime mnister
She shouldn't be given the right administer such an over-reaching constitutional change
Whilst i think about it,
I wonder if, on a constutional level
Shouldnt May have gone to the polls in a snap election to validate the referendum ?

Without a vote to confirm the then ruling powers' credibility
abd after the vote, Camerons departure
shouldn't there have been another national election
to decide who should (or not)
fullfill the referendum's 'desires' ?

Seems logique to me

Given that Maggie T got the boot - John Major took over - elections 2 yrs later
That's a pretty standard way of proceding
'Validate or repudiate ur policies'

vice de forme ?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Damiel

Maybe, clutching at invisible straws here,
She shouldn't be given the right administer such an over-reaching constitutional change

But it was voted for in the referendum, so is she just appeasing the will of the majority?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

People..well most dont want ruled by a classist oligarchy
Thats the EU

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Aww.. All of the remoaners will need helplines, colouring books and crayons, and a safe place today lol..

Best day ever!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Good. Hopefully we get out before the whole thing goes down in flames. That'll be a glorious day.

Oh, by the way, we don't elect the Prime Minister. We elect the MPs from whatever Party and they form a Government. The leader then becomes the Prime Minister (more often than not) Her mandate to govern is just as strong as any other Prime Minister.

She's doing very well. Quite popular indeed at the moment. Provided she doesn't start shooting the poor and abolish the NHS I might vote Tory for the first time in my entire life come next election.
edit on -050007pm3kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
"Whilst i think about it,
I wonder if, on a constutional level
Shouldnt May have gone to the polls in a snap election to validate the referendum ? "

Why Mr Junker is that you?

What is it that people don't understand about REFERENDUMS. They ARE the will of the people. Just because you don't like the outcome. I wish people would understand that people like you are Britains 'lefties' all worried about Juan and his 9 kids coming off state benefits.

36.7% of London's population was foreign born, and statistics like this pop up all over the UK now thanks to the last 10 years of nothing but lefty (your champion being Blair of course).....

Why don't you people just go away?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
@Critical

But it was voted for in the referendum, so is she just appeasing the will of the majority?

The majority of those that voted, not the majority of the population - as with the US elections, a minority of people voted to change the future of a country : 17 million in the UK voted to leave (out of a population of 64 million), 63 million voted for Trump (out of a population of 326 million) ...let those figures sink in a wee bit ... which majority again ?

@Blujacket

People..well most dont want ruled by a classist oligarchy Thats the EU

No totally wrong.
Go and look up the word oligarchy : if you we're thinking about Russia or the US (ouch!) you'd be much more closer to the truth.

@Ohanka

She's doing very well. Quite popular indeed at the moment.

Is that you in drag and high heels Donald ?

Provided she doesn't start shooting the poor and abolish the NHS

The NHS is in the crapper as it is, the only way to save it is by chopping it into tasty morcels and selling them off to the highest bidder(s).

Might as well kill kill kill the poor straight off as they'll never find succour with the future NHS.

Don't get sick anytime soon if you're in the UK, if you do, then, well, continue taking a few paracetamols and stay in bed until you die at home (don't forget to wrap yourself up in that heavy-duty bin bag first though)

Of course, you could also go health care shopping in your much despised Europe if you were really ill.

I hear France and Germany are pretty at good looking after people with cancer, for example...

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Today is a glorious day.
The EU facilitated the huge divide between rich and poor.
Wages were kept low due to mass immigration and house prices went through the roof, many can no longer afford to buy a house. All this happened when the rich became richer, keepng all the profits and not sharing them.

I personally have done very well but I really feel for those less fortunate thsn myself. Speaking to colleagues and friends the level of immigration and the control from Brussels and Germany has been its downfall. Regular citizens have not had a voice.

I have the champagne ready for 12:30.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:43 AM
link   
a reply to: SoEpic
I'll keep my champagne on ice for the next 3 yrs, after Brexit really takes hold and when :
The investors leave and the Footsie tanks to it's real value (less than 3k)
The pound collapses to the equivalent of the Vietnamese dong
England begs the IMF for urgent bailouts

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Why should England keep picking up the tab ffs

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Interesting thoughts but you don't know that any of your doom musings will happen.
Why do remainers seem to always assert their doom predictions as fact?
edit on 29.3.2017 by grainofsand because: typo

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Dont worry too much about. It doubt it will happen.

Between now and when brexit takes effect, England will be offered inducements such that May will then undo the brexit.

I suspect the purpose of brexit is force the EU to accelerate the rate of consolidation of the EU, extension of its laws to all EU countries and the creation of an EU milittree and police force.

In other words, I reckon the purpsoe of this Brexit is to speed up and push the EU further along the path to a united states of europe and the subjugation of the european people.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Well, if this govt doesn't shape up we have the opportunity to boot the Tories out next election. We don't get that option with the EU supergovt in Brussels, we would have been stuck with those goons until the end of time.

Bye bye EU. Hello world.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Not much will happen for ages yet.

I just hope that cooler heads prevail in the EU and they do what is in the best interests of European and British people and don't try to make this some sort of punitive charade that May will have no option but to walk away from entirely.

My priorities are
1)Guarantee the rights of EU citizens here and British expats in the EU to remain where they are.
2)Maintain intelligence and police cooperation (Though since we already have a framework through Nato, this is perhaps the easiest thing to continue).
3)Guarantee free access to goods and services, including financial passporting. (Though if the EU insists on strings then I am not so interested).
4)A sensible assessment of our continuing responsibilities re. treaty obligations and not just some plucked out of the air figure of 60 billion or whatever.

If they don't want to go for those, then I would be ok with us walking away entirely. Sure it wouldn't be the ideal, but far better than paying billions and reneging on the spirit of the referendum by leaving us partly in the EU.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel

Nothing wrong with that.
Every Prime Minister in British history has been "unelected", in the sense that none of them were chosen by the electorate as such.
The criterion has always been "can he win crucial votes in the House of Commons".
Before about 1830, the king would look for the man who could manage the business best, and give as much practical help as he could.
Since Victorian times, the House of Commons has, in effect, been making its own choice.
That is, if a man (or woman) can command a majority in the Commons, he can be Prime Minister. If he loses that majority, especially on a finance bill, then he can't.

David Cameron was Prime Minister NOT because he was "elected by the people", but because he was abe to muster a majority in the Commons.
Theresa May is Prime Minister, not by being "elected by the people", but because she is able to muster a majority in the Commons.
Winston Churchill, for that matter, was never "elected by the people" to lead the country in the Second World War. But he held a majority in the House of Commons, and that was what mattered.

That is how the system has worked through history. That is the British constitution. So the quibble about a Prime Minister being "unelected" has always been irrelevant.

Perhaps you would like to try the "election invalid because hacked by the Russians" argument which has worked so well across the Atlantic.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Damiel
a reply to: SoEpic
I'll keep my champagne on ice for the next 3 yrs, after Brexit really takes hold and when :
The investors leave and the Footsie tanks to it's real value (less than 3k)
The pound collapses to the equivalent of the Vietnamese dong
England begs the IMF for urgent bailouts

Same thing was said if Britain DID NOT Take on the EURO currency and look how that worked out, the world is far bigger than the EU and believe me Germany will still want the UK to have the buying power to carry on the export of BMW and Mercedes.

Alarm bells should be ringing when the Eucrates say "they will make Britain pay for this", oh ok so when a sovereign nation votes on something you feel the need to threaten them and bully. I think that says a lot about what the EU stands for..

London has poverty never before seen in my lifetime, of course this put firmly in the "nothing to see here" bracket.

People would do well to look at what the EU was sold as which was a free trade agreement not the monsters it turned into. If other countries do not have the backbone to break free then that is for them to deal with, as the EURO collapses in the coming decade and debt sky rockets it will be the remaining nations that are asked to pick up the pieces..

I will be working at 12:30 and have a zero alcohol policy at work so I will celebrate with the heady idea of a cup of Tomato soup and warm roll....

RA

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

Same thing was said if Britain DID NOT Take on the EURO currency and look how that worked out, the world is far bigger than the EU and believe me Germany will still want the UK to have the buying power to carry on the export of BMW and Mercedes.

Alarm bells should be ringing when the Eucrates say "they will make Britain pay for this", oh ok so when a sovereign nation votes on something you feel the need to threaten them and bully. I think that says a lot about what the EU stands for..

LOL!!

In the same ways that they were known to hog the sun beds on continental holidays!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Today is a good day
the UK will be better off in the long run, yes it will be a long and sometimes painful road but we will come out the other end better for it imo.

Of course the EU is now showing its true colours(correct spelling i am a Brit after all) by saying they will make the process as difficult as possible to PUNISH the UK for voting to leave.

The majority of those that voted, not the majority of the population - as with the US elections, a minority of people voted to change the future of a country : 17 million in the UK voted to leave (out of a population of 64 million), 63 million voted for Trump (out of a population of 326 million) ...let those figures sink in a wee bit ... which majority again ?

In response to this i say maybe more people should of got off their backsides and voted then instead of b*tching about a referendum result they couldn't even be ar*sed going to the polling station and voting in.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Oh the irony.

And who exactly voted Jean-Claude Juncker for President Of The European Union ?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Someone needs to pack its fleas and head for the nearest airport, or expect deportation

Stop moaning, your self-elected european government shall provide for you.
edit on 2932017 by trisvonbis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join