It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans Just Voted to Kill Internet Privacy

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

What I bolded above was exactly what the Law passed by the Obama admin would have done..Put US Privacy laws on course with Europes...And Trump and GOP just repealed it.

Yep. Right wing extremist oligarchs hell bent on taking over a govt and country. And they did. And they will shape it to their will, not the "will of the people"... well, that is now an outdated phrase. Americans have traded in their Founding Leaders' "will of the people" for the extremists "will of the oligarchy".

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xenogears
Well, I've heard, not confirmed, that windows resets all the privacy back to collect-a-thon with each auto update. And they happen very often, so if that's true, good luck going manually to recheck all that time and again, and if it updated and restarted without you paying attention, that would also be troublesome.

This is part of why we need laws about data collection. Trump is going backwards on this, if we're going to have privacy we need the ability to hide our data and that shouldn't just be limited to those with above average technical skills, or people who shell out extra money for private VPN's and added layers of encryption.

Our documents being private should be the default state for things. It's really disturbing how Richard Stallman comes across as completely insane, yet he has been right every step of the way.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Damn. You should read this:

It gives the whole back story of who created what and how everyone fits in the puzzle and some juicy details about the types of things that are possible and to what degree information can be mined. It doesn't stop at facebook or credit card purchases either. The even talk about how the motion sensor in your cell phone monitors the speed at which you walk in order to determine yet another data point in determining everything about you.

The Data That Turned the World Upside Down

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Here's another good read.

I Am Capital

Same subject but talks about how we're selling ourselves for free now. We should be charging for it though. After all it is ourselves that are a commodity now.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Cattle...

Smarmy..Self-aware...CATTLE for sale and slaughter..

Resist...

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I can't believe we seem to be the only people interested in this thread!!!

We are literally exposing a conspiracy of major impact on the lives of every single person on the planet but Americans for sure and they're all off arguing about some other BS. Meanwhile they are having their own personal lives mined and sold and manipulated right this second on an individual level. We are all being emotionally and mentally influenced and controlled for the profit and power of others.

Resist!!

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Feeling betrayed is a shocking feeling for a while. It hasn't sunk in. I am just sad for my kids future. We have so many lives that are just hanging by a thread.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

You aren't. But all attempts to be interested seem to be thwarted by so many Trump supporters that making the effort to elicit cohesive postings is almost impossible (when one isn't ridiculed for having an opinion), as I said on another thread, I thought this was ATS, not Breitbart.

edit on 30-3-2017 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You know that is one weight that I'm glad I don't have to suffer. As bad as it seems the future may be, I don't have kids and I can only imagine what it must be like for someone like you that not only has to worry for what their future holds but worry for your kids and try to prepare them for what may come without actually scaring the living sh*t out of them at the same time.

I must be hard to know that your kids will be suffering through a very likely horrible future some day. All you can do is prepare them for it the best you can I guess. But that must feel like a big job sometimes.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Just use VPN.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Mojo, man you have been here since '03. Know what I was doing in '03? Learning to deal with hangovers and work, you know priorities!

I'll defer this to you; Since the conception of the internet and networking hardware, there has been a constant back and forth between security and getting around that security. Honestly, I always saw it as a foregone conclusion that nothing and I mean NOTHING on the net is safe from someone who desperately wanted it.

With the rolling out of yahoo, aol, msn etc there was rarely a short supply of stories about them being hacked and user information being sold or leaked. Fast forward to Facebook and google and smartphones. Most information contained within those accounts is very personal and most would not want to share that with just anyone upon their initial release. Now, it is not that way however but the hacking and selling of that information has never stopped.

So it is my opinion that it is not that people don't know, it has always been known. It is they don't care or it has come to be expected, which is not right mind you but good luck getting phones out of that many hands.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
Just use VPN.

It's a little more complicated that just that.

Read some of these links in here and you'll realize just how all encompassing this data mining and tracking of people actually goes. It's everywhere and is only becoming more integrated every single day. Even this ISP thing is just one of many issues. But at least it was something. At this point even a speed bump is helpful. What we're doing is the opposite though. We're creating a race track of data flow about everything we do and from that they can figure out who you are better than you know yourself.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Sure, I know what you're saying. I'm not saying we can stop it. I'm not even saying that in and of itself, the removal of privacy is even a bad thing. Philosophically speaking I can even imagine a world without secrets or shame or living a secret life you have to keep hidden simply for the fact that you can't hide anything anymore.

However, this is reality and the problem with reality is that it never works out like well. It's not so much the end of privacy that is a big deal, but the way it's being used as a weapon against the people themselves for the advancement of profit and power of a few.

Just like all technology it is a tool like a hammer. I can either build with it or kill with it depending on what I choose to do. So until we can stop killing each other with our tools and start helping each other with them, I'm all for keeping as many speed bumps in the road as possible. Not because I plan on stopping the movement completely, but slowing it down seems to be a good idea for now.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Fair point, I guess that's the rub. You see it coming and feel as though you (and those with that reasoning) have some way to stop it from happening or at least, as you said, slow it down.

I see it as happening no matter what I do. So seeing it coming and knowing that it is going to happen, using those same tools and options better and smarter than those who would try use it for malevolent means.

Your end result is admirable and I'm sure all of us feel that way in some manner, however the history of humans doesn't tell that same tale. There would need some kind of serious divine intervention to be able to pull that together.

Hope that ramble makes sense.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

That makes perfect sense actually. In fact that's just the logical approach too. Truth be told, I'm doing the very same thing as you too. The difference I guess is you've accepted it where as I seem to still cling to some ideal dream of a different world. That is my mistake and one I need to keep a watch over as it may well be my downfall one day.

It's strange too. Because I'm very cynical and yet I seem to also be a bit of a dreamer sometimes too. Those two qualities don't work well together and more often than not just work against each other in how they motivate my actions.

posted on Mar, 30 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

"We're all making do with what little we have but that doesn't stop us from hoping for better." -my grandfather.

I guess the next step is that given the controversy and attention Wikileaks has obtained, with this law being passed, we may very well see similar organizations take root. I mean everything will be for sale and for some, money is no object.

Buckle up.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Cathy McMorris Rodgers was on my fb doing a q&a. Tons of people asked her why she voted for this. She said something about separating the Fcc and Fec responsibilities, and that she helped keep our privacy. I did not comprehend her long list of gibberish of how it helped keep our privacy.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It wasn't all Reps, but as others have said, in the ToS - they can use your info in some way or another to market you.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: BlackboxInquiry

It was ALL Republicans. Here are the votes. 215 Reps voted yes, 190 Dems voted No. Zero Dems voted for this.

When will you people learn that Republicans don't give a f*ck about any of you. They care only about selling you out.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join