It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans Just Voted to Kill Internet Privacy

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: angeldoll

This has nothing to do with medical records.
HIPAA laws are still in effect.

You aren't fully comprehending the possible repercussions and implications of this. It has everything to do with medical records, and other things you might have on the ISP that you thought were private.

I explained a little earlier in a post, that my doctor's office put all his patients lab results, etc. in a "portal" where we go in on line to see them. At the top of the page there is a shield that says "trackers blocked". Yes, it's blocked. Right?
But when I click on it, my ISP service now has that address. Does it have my password? I don't know, and neither do you.

Oh, and I saw your post about the way "to get things done". Complain about it to the ISP's, you say?

Well of course! You wouldn't want to bother Mr. Trump and the Republicans about this little sell out.
Should people complain to doctor's when their health care is taken away?
To the airlines when they can't get into the country?

Of course. No one should bother the high and mighty and strangely demented Mr. Trump with all these little nuisances of the common American.

All your ISP can see is what page you went to.
Assuming your medical service is using encryption, they are not looking at your medical records.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   

a reply to: BlueAjah

omg nvm. hopeless

If you are so worried about your ISP... do you use Gmail?
Gmail was not affected by the law being reversed either.

Gmail does scan all emails, new Google terms clarify

Google has clarified its email scanning practices in a terms of service update, informing users that incoming and outgoing emails are analysed by automated software.

The revisions explicitly state that Google’s system scans the content of emails stored on Google’s servers as well as those being sent and received by any Google email account, a practice that has seen the search company face criticism from privacy action groups and lawsuits from the education sector.

link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
No, the point is that not vetoing a bill passed by Congress does not mean the country gets a law 'thanks to Trump'.

The fact is that it gets it thanks, in part, to Trump.

That is how it works. He can choose to check it or not. That is why the power to veto even exists.

Another point, perhaps more telling, is that no such complaints were heard before when the same rules were in place. That tells us all we need to know about the motivations of those whining about it now. They will be the same people whining if Trump did continually use veto power a la Roosevelt.

So?

Has nothing to do with my participation in this thread.

link   

You still don't get it, but that's okay.

Yes, I have signed a hipaa agreement with my doctor's office.

But I haven't signed one with my ISP. Get it?

And please stop talking like you know the ins and outs of all this. You don't. None of us do.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Posted this earlier in the thread.
www.scientificamerican.com...

There are some people really up in arms about this. I'm here to tell you that in actuality, it has been already going on for a very long time. This bill will only smooth out a small speedbump.

I did search ISP's for their political donations but it wasn't too heavy in either direction.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

And please stop talking like you know the ins and outs of all this. You don't. None of us do.

Your ISP is not reading your medical records.
They can not read encrypted files that pass through their services.
If your medical portal does not use encryption, that would be absurd.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Supporting this bill because you shrug your shoulders and say "meah it happens any" make me scared for y'all. Looks like you're just rolling over like submissive pups huh?

Anyway this will bite all these politicians in their respective arses.
Stand by for the leaks on their browsing history, personal information and contacts

Karma.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

“ISPs will be able to sell your personal information to the highest bidder ... and they won’t have any real obligation to keep your personal information secure, either,” Gigi Sohn, who previously served as counselor to former Federal Communications Commission Chairman Tom Wheeler, said Monday.

The FCC adopted rules last October that required companies like Comcast and Verizon to get their customers’ explicit permission before they could share “sensitive” data like Social Security numbers, or information pertaining to children or health. Under the rules — which are not yet in effect — companies also had to tell customers and law enforcement if a potentially harmful data breach occurred.

and it goes on to say

In a heated floor debate on Tuesday, House Republicans sought to paint the rules as an example of government overreach. “These broadband privacy rules are unnecessary,” said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who introduced the resolution.

Any laws applying to any hope you might have of privacy is "government overreach". Right. That damn Obama wanting people to have health care and some semblance of internet privacy! I guess Trump has shown him a thing or two.

Here's the article, if you want to read more.
www.huffingtonpost.com... us_

edit on 3/28/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Your ISP is not reading your medical records.
They can not read encrypted files that pass through their services.
If your medical portal does not use encryption, that would be absurd.

Of course they are not reading it!!!! God! Why would they want to read it? They want to SELL it.

Sigh.
I tried.
Meh.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I think the "medical portal" is part of ACA-Obamacare.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

I think the "medical portal" is part of ACA-Obamacare.

I don't have ACA insurance. I have it through my workplace. It occurred to me maybe it's just 'that office". Maybe they are tired of calling people with lab results.
Maybe it's all going to robots. lol. My other doctors haven't requested this. But still.

Oh well! If I start getting ads for various treatments, and assorted medical spam, I guess I'll know.

I have ATT as my ISP, the biggest money grubbers in the history of the world.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Excellent article, thank you.

Once upon a time, simply removing a person's name, address and Social Security number from a medical record may well have protected anonymity. Not so today. Straightforward data-mining tools can rummage through multiple databases containing anonymized and nonanonymized data to reidentify the individuals from their ostensibly private medical records.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

No, no I am not.

Now let me ask you a question. Since this is not new, is this really about your outrage or the fact that it has a political face?

10 Years ago, anyone talking about it, was looked down upon as wearing a tin foil hat

Well, here we are

The Bankers and Corporations own our government, no longer a conspiracy

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Supporters of Tuesday’s repeal vote argued that the privacy regulations stifle innovation by forcing Internet providers to abide by unreasonably strict guidelines.

”[Consumer privacy] will be enhanced by removing the uncertainty and confusion these rules will create,” said Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), who chairs the House subcommittee that oversees the FCC.

So consumer privacy will be enhanced by eliminating privacy rules?

Do these people take us as complete morans or what?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

No, no I am not.

Now let me ask you a question. Since this is not new, is this really about your outrage or the fact that it has a political face?

10 Years ago, anyone talking about it, was looked down upon as wearing a tin foil hat

Well, here we are

The Bankers and Corporations own our government, no longer a conspiracy

Literally had this conversation with my co-worker last night. NSA and the CIA with mass surveillance, corrupt banking, worthless money, debt worship. All of it. Proven real, but long thought conspiracy.

edit on 28-3-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

“In the physical space, that has rested with the FTC,” she noted. “So if someone were to abridge your online privacy and sell your information without your knowledge, without your consent, that would be something that the regulators would go after. Let’s say if someone starts to wholesale sell your data, and you said, ‘Do not share my data. Do not share my information,’ that’s the kind of effect that it has.”

Yeah right. So if they sell your information without your knowledge, how are you gonna know about it to file a complaint with FTC? Anyway, that's sort of like closing barn door after the horse has run away.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   

The bill is fairly meaningless. Say if passes. Big biz probably saves some money on information they were already getting. Should it fail, they will still get the info.

Again, acquiring private information without your consent is not new. I know you want to think it is because it fits your political agenda.

It may or may not be a weak argument, but your words are showing me that your mind is weaker.

It is theft
We should charge big business 50000 dollars each time they steal

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

More to the point, the first thing anyone does when they suspect they have a medical condition is search the internet. From diabetes prevention to weight loss to depression to cancer etc. Of course data obsessed insurers will build in rate quotation models depending on what and how often you google health conditions on the internet. That's just the tip of the iceberg...did you know that airlines and travel sites have been caught charging more for airline tickets online based on the persons estimated income? The implications are massive.

It's a little sick to see trumpites defending this..but best to get folks on record for what they stand for.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Shocking !!!!!!!

Who would have thought that Republican lobbyist controlled gov't would cater to lobbyist as much as Democrat lobbyist controlled gov't would?

People need to get their head out of their @rses and forget about healtcare,SS,Medicaid, Sexism,Racism,World Conflicts,Taxes, Party loyalty and ONLY concentrate on the number issue CORRUPTION.

Both individual republicans and Democrats should drop the BS and join forces to ensure that only the following issues are addressed by the MSM, GOP and the DNC.

It makes no sense to try to fix anything when the people making the solutions have conflict of interests.

As long as GOP,DNC, and the MSM continue to ignore the following issues we will never break the cycle and nothing will be fixed.

1. Congregational term limits

2. campaign financing reform.

3. Lobbying reform

4. doing away with super-pacs

5. Revolving door between gov't and private sector

6. Transparency

What is truly shocking is that those 6 issues are things that individual Republicans and Democrats should want and could easily come together to support.

Instead the GOP,DNC, and the MSM does too well of a job distracting the individual Republicans and Democrats by having them run in a never ending mouse wheel where they only focus their attentions on the symptoms of corruption (healtcare,taxes,etc) rather than corruption itself.

edit on 21331America/ChicagoTue, 28 Mar 2017 23:21:30 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

This has nothing to do with medical records.
HIPAA laws are still in effect.

You aren't fully comprehending the possible repercussions and implications of this. It has everything to do with medical records, and other things you might have on the ISP that you thought were private.

I explained a little earlier in a post, that my doctor's office put all his patients lab results, etc. in a "portal" where we go in on line to see them. At the top of the page there is a shield that says "trackers blocked". Yes, it's blocked. Right?
But when I click on it, my ISP service now has that address. Does it have my password? I don't know, and neither do you.

Oh, and I saw your post about the way "to get things done". Complain about it to the ISP's, you say?

Well of course! You wouldn't want to bother Mr. Trump and the Republicans about this little sell out.
Should people complain to doctor's when their health care is taken away?
To the airlines when they can't get into the country?

Of course. No one should bother the high and mighty and strangely demented Mr. Trump with all these little nuisances of the common American.

All your ISP can see is what page you went to.
Assuming your medical service is using encryption, they are not looking at your medical records.

Weren't you the one making the attempt to 'school' me in the business section about how you've made plenty of switchovers from non-secure HTTP servers to SSL/TLS servers and you would make a statement like the above? You really think all your ISP can see is "what page" you went to? They can and do monitor every open port from origin to destination...that doesn't only include TCP ports and certainly not only port 80 and 443 but UDP, Telnet, ICMP etc...any well known, publicly available port that you can possibly communicate through is what "your ISP can see".

With respect to medical records, encrypted or not encrypted, since when do HIPAA regulations start allowing ANY medical records to be stored anywhere but in a HIPAA authorized medium, which is typically only offline at the Doctor's office and not any random online server?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join