It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans Just Voted to Kill Internet Privacy

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Let's buy their browsing history # about to get hilarious

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Well wikileaks already has shown us that laws do not matter when it comes to peoples privacy.

I don't agree with my browsing history been sold without my consent and without me making a cut of the profits.

Where is my money darn it.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

You didn't even bother to read my posts. Particularly where I said that I'm not american.

It is a fact that a president can veto laws and that it isn't considered abuse. You are the one making things up on the fly.

You seem to be rather focused on just twisting and defending Trump even when he has done nothing at all, neither right or wrong.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
Well wikileaks already has shown us that laws do not matter when it comes to peoples privacy.

I don't agree with my browsing history been sold without my consent and without me making a cut of the profits.

Where is my money darn it.

Yes, Obama's abuse of the NSA was apparently no problem. It seemed fine for his govt to have access to all our information, but those pesky advertisers...

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Probably because Obama is an asshole? Yeah, that's probably why. But hey, I'm a Obama-loving lefty because I don't like Trump. At least that's what your argument implies. It's not like people can dislike both Obama and Trump at the same time! That's ridiculously impossible. /sarcasm

Not sure why Obama doing something #ty justifies Trump doing something just as #ty (not that Trump has done it yet or will do it, mind you) but I guess two wrongs make a right?
edit on 3/28/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
OK people that are upset.

Contact YOUR ISPs and complain.

Flood them with opposition !!

Demand a right to decline they sell info.

'

Now THAT is the American way to get things done!!

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   

It has already passed. It is just waiting for Trump's signature. Too late for protests now.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

You didn't even bother to read my posts. Particularly where I said that I'm not american.

It is a fact that a president can veto laws and that it isn't considered abuse. You are the one making things up on the fly.

You seem to be rather focused on just twisting and defending Trump even when he has done nothing at all, neither right or wrong.

Like I said, I rather think your desire to place blame at the feet of the President is the over riding issue here.
Veto power can most certainly be abused, as has happened in the past. Do some research on Andrew Jackson. I have zero doubt that if Trump follows the same path, you will be one of the first criticising him for it.
edit on 28/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Ok. To get back to what I said earlier - that even if your ISP is not selling information, it is almost certain that every web site you visit is collecting and selling your information....

They reserve that right in exchange for you using their web site.

Let's consider this very web site you are using right now. I consider this site to be more careful than most regarding the exposure and use of user information, and yet this is in the Privacy Policy for ATS.

We use non-identifying and aggregate information to better design our website and to share with advertisers. For example, we may tell an advertiser that X number of individuals visited a certain area on our website, or that Y number of men and Z number of women filled out our registration form, but we would never disclose anything that could be used to identify any specific individuals. The non-identifying aggregate information is not stored on any server owned by the Websites as we do not collect or store any log files of activity on our websites. Instead, we employ the Google Analytics software (which does set a cookie) to obtain traffic analysis data.

Ahhh Google Analytics. The biggest collector and disseminator of your viewing habits!

Advertising networks that serve advertising on the Websites may write their own cookies for the purposes of determining advertising frequency and relevance, and to match ads against your interests based on aggregate non-personally identifiable information learned about your Internet browsing.

AboveTopSecret.com Privacy Policy

I have respect for this policy, because if you read the rest of it, they do pledge to protect personally identifying information better than most sites.

Now consider - if even ATS does collect some browsing information for advertising purposes, consider what other sites are doing with your information.

I suggest a look at the Google Analytics privacy policies, for a real eye opener.
Almost every web site uses Google Analytics.
support.google.com...
www.google.com...

People need to stop freaking out about this law.
It did nothing to prevent the above.

edit on 3/28/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

It has already passed. It is just waiting for Trump's signature. Too late for protests now.

I'm talking about complaining directly to your ISP, not Congress or the White House.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

The protest mentioned in the post that I was replying to, that you are replying to, had nothing to do with the government.

It was a free commerce protest. That is the American way. Consumer demands drive the product that is supplied, or the suppliers go out of business.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Internet privacy is an oxymoron. You're kidding yourselves to think otherwise.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Like I said, I rather think your desire to place blame at the feet of the President is the over riding issue here.

Actually it isn't. My issue is with you riding in and making excuses for Trump when he might actually go along with the law instead of stand up for the people.

Veto power can most certainly be abused, as has happened in the past. Do some research on Andrew Jackson.

I don't recall Andrew Jackson being impeached so what abuse would you be referring to?

The point of course being that vetoing isn't in and of itself an impeachable offense. It is part of the process.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

How would that work? Is there a large selection of ISP's, especially in rural areas? Is that what you mean?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

How would that work? Is there a large selection of ISP's, especially in rural areas? Is that what you mean?

Government Dependency Syndrome

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I don't understand you answer.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: UKTruth

Actually it isn't. My issue is with you riding in and making excuses for Trump when he might actually go along with the law instead of stand up for the people.

Veto power can most certainly be abused, as has happened in the past. Do some research on Andrew Jackson.

I don't recall Andrew Jackson being impeached so what abuse would you be referring to?

The point of course being that vetoing isn't in and of itself an impeachable offense. It is part of the process.

No, the point is that not vetoing a bill passed by Congress does not mean the country gets a law 'thanks to Trump'.

Another point, perhaps more telling, is that no such complaints were heard before when the same rules were in place. That tells us all we need to know about the motivations of those whining about it now. They will be the same people whining if Trump did continually use veto power a la Roosevelt.
edit on 28/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: angeldoll

This has nothing to do with medical records.
HIPAA laws are still in effect.

You aren't fully comprehending the possible repercussions and implications of this. It has everything to do with medical records, and other things you might have on the ISP that you thought were private.

I explained a little earlier in a post, that my doctor's office put all his patients lab results, etc. in a "portal" where we go in on line to see them. At the top of the page there is a shield that says "trackers blocked". Yes, it's blocked. Right?
But when I click on it, my ISP service now has that address. Does it have my password? I don't know, and neither do you.

Oh, and I saw your post about the way "to get things done". Complain about it to the ISP's, you say?

Well of course! You wouldn't want to bother Mr. Trump and the Republicans about this little sell out.
Should people complain to doctor's when their health care is taken away?
To the airlines when they can't get into the country?

Of course. No one should bother the high and mighty and strangely demented Mr. Trump with all these little nuisances of the common American.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Another point, perhaps more telling, is that no such complaints were heard before when the same rules were in place. That tells us all we need to know about the motivations of those whining about it now.

It was complained about until it was repaired by President Obama. It is his bill, which has been undone.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

omg nvm. hopeless

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join