It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate Republicans Just Voted to Kill Internet Privacy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Government kills people every day.
Government steals from people every day.

ETA: To your edit: What I'm doing is showing you that your not really peaved about the bill. Your pushing a political agenda. IE> It's all because Trump.

edit on 28-3-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

originally posted by: UKTruth
Once again - Congress make the law.

Nobody says they don't but still the President signs it into law. If he stands for the people he would veto this law.

It's ok if he doesn't but you seem to be here doing damage control before he even decides what he is going to do.

The people have voted in favour of this. You understand that the Senate is elected to represent the people, right?
When a President vetoes a bill he is going against the will of the people, which is why it is so rare.
Congress are responsible for creating laws and they do so in representation of the people who elected them.
To suggest that a law being passed is 'thanks to the [the President]' shows a fundamental misunderstanding of your own form of govt - a Representative Republic. Sounds like you are more up for dictatorship.
edit on 28/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You haven't shown anything like that, actually. The only thing you've shown is backwards logic. Trump hasn't even been involved yet and he could quite possibly veto it, I'm not psychic and don't claim to know what Trump is going to do with it.

"I'm against people keying my car, but I'm ok with them making it legal." That doesn't make much sense does it?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

So this bill proves that the majority of people are ok with their private information being sold for profit? I find that very hard to believe.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The people have voted in favour of this. You understand that the Senate is elected to represent the people, right?

That is the idea, whether they do or not is another matter but Trump was also elected to represent the people, right?

Why make excuses for him and not the others?

Sounds like you are more up for dictatorship.

Vetoing a law is perfectly legal and in no way dictatorial.

Also, I'm not up for anything.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So this bill proves that the majority of people are ok with their private information being sold for profit? I find that very hard to believe.

It's not a case of belief, it is a case of how your system of govt works. If you don't like the laws Congress pass you have recourse at the ballot box. Blaming a President for not over ruling every bill that you perceive a majority don't want is not a reasonable position to take.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
They are a private business, and you are using their infrastructure. At what point do you think you have a right to keep what you do on their property private?

Now if you signed a contract that says "you shall not sell my information" you might have a case.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

It is when that president was sold as the people's champion.

Like I said earlier, he doesn't have to be but then people need to stop making it sound like he is.

Also, I'm not american.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

So what is voting someone else in after the fact going to change?

Congress and our representatives hardly represent us, they only represent themselves and their own financial interests. To believe otherwise is naive.
edit on 3/28/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The laws that are potentially being reversed were just implemented in October 2016.

If this was so important, then why did Obama wait until the end of his 8 years to do something?

This was probably just another move by Obama in an attempt to thwart Trump, because he knew it would be undone, and then the democrats would have something else they think they can blame on Trump.
Obama did alot of this in his final days.

Again, if it was so important, why did he wait so long?

It also was a rare win for privacy advocates, who had struggled to convince the Obama administration and its recent predecessors that the Internet age requires a major overhaul of privacy laws and regulations.

source

What do you think they were doing with our information before October 2016?

edit on 3/28/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: xuenchen
Browsing History is picked up by ad-bots anyway and stored in databases.

Please provide a link supporting the process you describe.

And please explain why the Trump administration and GOP would be anti-privacy and pro ad-bot.

Since you asked a simple question, I will provide a simple answer.
Donald, the Don, is simply giving America back to the people.
It is one of his promises, just like his campaign pledge to maintain state soverign
rights from federal oppression and over reach.

Which people our government is giving our browsing history and privacy to is another matter,
but hey, they're Americans too, eh? So it isn't all bad.
Plus, I would wager some money changed hands for the votes, lobbyist
loot, because one hand washes the other. So in reality, the government just sold our privacy. Why?
Because they have it and we let them. I doubt if the Don had anything to do with this, because it seems...backward. Gee. Maybe the Don will explain it so I can better understand it, idk. The take I got from his pledges was that Donald was gonna repeal the patriot act, because that would be giving America back to Americans. Part of draining the swamp. Did I perhaps misunderstand something?

# 731

edit on 28-3-2017 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   

That is the idea, whether they do or not is another matter but Trump was also elected to represent the people, right?

Why make excuses for him and not the others?

Sounds like you are more up for dictatorship.

Vetoing a law is perfectly legal and in no way dictatorial.

Also, I'm not up for anything.

Trump was elected to run the Executive branch, which is to say he was elected to govern the people by applying the laws of the land and to perform the role of Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces. You are right that it is legal for him to veto laws, but there are checks and balances for a reason. If he abused that power then he can be over ruled or, indeed, removed.
edit on 28/3/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

You are right that it is legal for him to veto laws, but there are checks and balances for a reason. If he abused that power then he can be over ruled or, indeed, removed.

It isn't an abuse to go by the rules established.

Just quit making excuses.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheWhiteKnight

Good point. Trump promised to get the government out of the business of controlling businesses. The government has too much control, and there are too many regulations.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

So what is voting someone else in after the fact going to change?

Congress and our representatives hardly represent us, they only represent themselves and their own financial interests. To believe otherwise is naive.

Which is the same as saying to believe in your system of govt is naive. You may be right, but it does not take away from the fact that the branch of govt responsible for creating law is the Legislative Branch.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

The laws that are potentially being reversed were just implemented in October 2016.

If this was so important, then why did Obama wait until the end of his 8 years to do something?

This was probably just another move by Obama in an attempt to thwart Trump, because he knew it would be undone, and then the democrats would have something else they think they can blame on Trump.

It also was a rare win for privacy advocates, who had struggled to convince the Obama administration and its recent predecessors that the Internet age requires a major overhaul of privacy laws and regulations.

source

Bingo !

False outrage apparently.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

You are right that it is legal for him to veto laws, but there are checks and balances for a reason. If he abused that power then he can be over ruled or, indeed, removed.

It isn't an abuse to go by the rules established.

Just quit making excuses.

You seem determined to let your lack of understanding about your own form of govt. underpin your desire to throw more mud at the President. You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
OK people that are upset.

Contact YOUR ISPs and complain.

Flood them with opposition !!

Demand a right to decline they sell info.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

please explain why the Trump administration and GOP would be anti-privacy

Because they're evil and don't give a damn about Americans or America for that matter.

The ironic thing is the more horrible Trump gets the more his cult defends him.

It really is true that you can tell someone's IQ by who they vote for.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

source

I noted that earlier too. Still waiting for an answer on whether it was Trump's fault for the law prior to October - the one no one seemed to complain about at the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join