It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ashcroft Praises NY For Terror-Hostile Environment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
In his last news conference as U.S. Attorney General John Ashcroft praised New York City for creating an environment hostile to terrorists. Citing heightened security for the United Nations and the Republican National Convention he claimed New York was a success story of anti-terror preparedness. He also said his biggest regret was his failure to adequately explain the Patriot Act to citizens.

WASHINGTON - New York City stands out as a "success story" in preventing another terrorist attack in the years since the devastating Sept. 11, 2001, hijackings, John Ashcroft said in his final news briefing as attorney general yesterday.

Ashcroft singled out New York as he attributed the failure of al-Qaida or other terrorists to pull off another attack here to the United States' creating an "environment hostile to terrorists."

"It's pretty clear that New York City has been maintained as a pretty safe environment," Ashcroft said. "I think you have to say that New York has been a success story."

Source: NY Newsday

I have to agree with John Ashcroft here. As a New Yorker myself I can attest the amount of security surrounding important events such as these as well as around the NY Stock Exchange and other high-value targets. Businesses have also increased security by requiring picture ID and confirmation of an appointment to enter most large buildings. However, softer targets such as the subway system and commuter trains remain vulnerable.

[edit on 2/2/2005 by djohnsto77]

new topics

join