It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bullying at work

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Not sure where else to post this but I suppose it is a rant of sorts. My day job is in the office of a construction company and as you can imagine; sexism, racism and other things people like to pass off as 'banter' are an almost daily occurrence, as is gossip, lack of professionalism and stupidity. The women who work there are nowhere near as bad as the guys and tend to be pretty cool.

Anyway, there's this muslim guy from Dubai who works there, he's been there longer than me and he hardly speaks English. It's actually frustrating trying to have a conversation with him and he weirdly sneaks off to hang out in the toilets about 3 times an hour..as a result he gets joked about a lot and has become pretty much ostracised but it's usually relegated to girly giggles from idiots on the other side of the room who mumble under their breath. Also strangely; the guy in question works out...A LOT and is freaking huge but he never bothers anyone despite all the BS and he doesn't even realise it's going on most of the time because he cant understand what they're saying.

Well today it got taken too far and one guy in particular went in on him telling him nobody likes him, that he's gay for hanging out in the toilets and that he should just do everyone a favour and f**k off. This was completely unprovoked and was done in front of the whole office, some people were uncomfortable, some people laughed and some people; the managers especially just pretended like it hadn't happened.

I half expected him to snap the guy in half but he didn't, he just grabbed his coat and his bag and went to the toilets where he audibly cried for half an hour before sneaking out the back of the building and went home. I texted him and told him he needs to start standing up for himself and offered to teach him how to box although I havent received a response but I'm actually wrestling with the idea of knocking the bullying prick out and defacto quitting tomorrow morning. I can't imagine what it must be like to be a grown man and feel that alone and helpless, I never imagined adults could be that childish and cruel to a person for no real reason and I'm just disgusted with it all.

I guess that's the end of my rant, human beings f****ng suck man. Thanks for reading, any suggestions would be appreciated.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Your advice was more than you need to do, talk to the bully but dont get fired or quit to just beat a guy for another guy.

The victim needs to stand up for himself, if he doesnt do it now, youre white knight move isnt helping him any

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thing is if you punch the guy, you'll probably have charges brought against you cos bullies are usually grasses as well.

So I wouldn't risk that.

I think just interacting with the guy more will do him the world of good.

Show him that not everybody is a c*nt.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Lots of mixed messages in your post.

You're defending him yet saying he 'weirdly sneaks off to hang out in the toilets about 3 times an hour.' He doesn't speak English and you've got his phone number and texting him?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well yeah his behaviour is weird but I don't think he deserves to be ridiculed in front of the whole office.

We've all got work phones with whatsapp as people get asked to work weekends and nights at times, it's not my personal phone.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Mate with all due respect what the hell is teaching someone how to Box going to do?, so he knocks the person out and then lands himself in a prison cell???...

If managers hear this stuff and do nothing then take it to the Union if you have one, if not go above them with a complaint to senior management..

The thing about "sneaking" off to the toilet is troubling, if this means a shared work load is not taken care of then personally I would also say something if someone was not pulling their weight but then you do not state the industry you are in or the company set up..

Personally I think the lack of "Banter" is a major issue in todays work force, whining professional complainers have meant even telling a joke will land you in major hot water, far to many people sticking their nose into other peoples conversations etc, not saying it is the case here but a general observation...

Give me a "old firm" style of working over this snowflake office culture any day..

In your situation the bottom line is management, if it is bad to the point you say then get them to sort it, they get paid to do it so hold them accountable,

RA

edit on 28-3-2017 by slider1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The time to have said something was when it happened. I know, easier said than done. However, I would complain to the management. I would have the victim find out what the company's policy for reporting harassment is and to follow that policy to a T. If the company fails to follow through with their own procedures. Have the guy find a lawyer.

Also, if the offender pops into the office again, I would immediately and loudly tell him that his previous antics were not appreciated, were unprofessional and won't be tolerated. Given today's climate, this may not be an easy thing to do. It is needed if we are ever to overcome idiots like this.

Lastly, if the guy is that massive and works out a ton, he could be on supplements. This may explain the frequent trips to the bathroom. I once worked with a power lifter who actually set off the smoke detectors after using the commode. He was on an incredibly high calorie diet and used a ridiculous amount of supplements.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Weak management, that sort of behaviour should never be tolerated and there is employment legislation in place to protect people from such incidents. If I was the guy, I would resign and then sue the employer for constructive dismissal.

As for the bully, I would bide my time and see what he's got to say for himself, when there is no crowd to play up to.
edit on 28/3/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
lol.. that guy is like me right now, at this temp job I have as a meat distribution?

but.. I suck it up and ignore them.
seems to work.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies, some useful advice in here for sure. Luciferslight, hang in there man.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I would just go up the chain of command until you find someone who cares. Whether you quit or not is your decision, but don't stain your professional record with an assault charge.

Try talking with your foreign coworker if you think it will help, but don't get too involved. People have a tendency to become very clingy in situations like that.
edit on 28-3-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Alternative options.

Use a glove and wipe dog poop on the inside of his driver side door every day.

Get a burner phone and send him random nudies, his wife may see one and flip out.

I'm just kidding, unfortunately that guy is going to have to deal with this himself. It's part of the human experience dealing with assholes. We can't shelter others from negative experiences.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Just watch him closely till one day when his chips are down, then give him a taste of his own medicine.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Knock both guys out. That way your not playing favorites

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Just had a vision.. I'm seeing.... A mass shooting by a brown skinned arab type fella, categorised as 'workplace violence' and several ATS threads about how Islam is bad, that will deteriorate rapidly into a disagreement about gun laws and something to do with Donald Trump being a #ebag..

Seriously though, I think, as someone said above, the time to act was the time it was happening.. People need to start being a bit braver i think and not doubting their own convictions. No criticism of the OP because I've done it myself, hesitated to help because i second guessed myself and ended up regretting it later/feeling bad about my decision (or lack thereof).

If you want to do anything just tell the guy you thought it was out of order, that you hope he's ok and that you'll back him up if he wants to take a complaint further...

I understand your desire to physically shake the other guy up but, as previous posters said, you can't actually fight other people's battles for them..

Anyway, hope it all works out ok there..

You're half right, people CAN #ing suck, but it's important to remember, they don't always

edit on 28-3-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

scene 1. An obvious moist dream come true for angry bitter rednecks

scene 2. Only works for some, but not everyone. Just do what works best for you.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
This is one of the saddest things I've ever read on ATS.

That motherf-cker... and while we're at it, I believe that not only can you fight other peoples battles for them, you should. Specially when for whatever reason they are not strong enough to fight for themselves, adult or not. I don't care how old, what sex, what political party anyone is... sometimes people are already fighting private battles on their own and it makes a person weary and the fact that no one stood up for that guy when they could have is f-cked.

Sometimes I think to myself that the world deserves the bullies and the pedophiles, after all, no one ever stands up to them... the world just turns a blind eye and says, "the victims should really have just stood up for themselves." And then the people act surprised at the level of corruption that's seeped into our governments and churches. LOL.

But it's not funny at all.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

I never personally run into any office bullies, but have run into the win at all cost types playing as neighborhood watch.
They play the usual childish games their type plays but one time took it to far with a death threat, so at that point I told them to cool it down or I was going to file a complain to the police chief, or take them to court if I have to.

edit on 28-3-2017 by phatkhat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
talk to the boss, let him know that he needs to do something about it because if that dude comes back and starts shooting people blood will be on the bosses hands.
some people don`t seem to understand that there are a lot of unstable in the world and if you push them over the edge, look out, anything could happen.

it sounds like the boss is allowing and maintaining a hostile work environment and that could mean a big lawsuit against the company or a possible workplace violence situation developing.
edit on 28-3-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Talk to the victim first thing in the morning and tell him you have his back. I'm not sure how tough your laws are with regards to bullying, in Germany you'd already have a good chance for a legal case with a few witnesses and all that. Write a bully-diary from now on, try to get this sort of crap on vid and work something out with your collegues.

This wont be the last time, just make sure that the asshat is the one in serious legal trouble next time.

Hang in there!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join