It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former acting attorney general Yates warned that testimony could be barred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Now we have the former Acting Attorney General Sally Yates saying her testimony before the House Intelligence Committee could be classified as "privileged" because some of what she might say was derived from conversations with the White House about (resigned) national security advisor General Flynn and that now famous "Russian" conversation that was leaked.

Her testimony was cancelled and so was the closed session scheduled for Tuesday March 28th.

Apparently this possibility of "privileged" communications is one reason she was "cancelled".

Always a problem.

And of course, the rumors are flying around that Trump told Committee Chair Nunes to ax her from the public side of the hearings.

Trump is denying that.

Sally is also the Acting AG that publicly said she ordered the Justice Dept to NOT defend Trumps Executive Order about travel bans that was partly stopped in court. Yates was fired by Trump after that mess.

Two articles about this crazy new mess....

Former acting attorney general Yates warned that testimony could be barred

The turmoil surrounding the House Intelligence Committee's investigation into Russia's interference with the 2016 election deepened Tuesday, with the disclosure that former acting Attorney General Sally Yates was warned last week that her testimony could contain privileged communications involving the White House that might be barred, a official familiar with matter said.

Ultimately, Yates' scheduled Tuesday appearance was canceled by House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., But before that hearing was called off, the caution was delivered to Yates in a flurry of letters involving her attorney, the Justice Department and the White House Counsel's Office. The hearing also was to include testimony from former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper.

Trump administration denies it tried to block Sally Yates from testifying on Russia

The Trump Administration is aiming to block testimony on Russia
The Trump Administration is aiming to block testimony on Russia
2 Hours Ago | 00:35

The Trump administration forcefully denied it tried to bar former acting Attorney General Sally Yates from testifying at a House Intelligence Committee hearing on its Russia investigation, after reports suggested it may have tried to do so.

The Washington Post first reported that the White House aimed to block Yates from testifying, and NBC News later obtained the letters that formed the basis of the newspaper's story. On Tuesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer called the report "100 percent false." He said the White House never took action to stop her from testifying.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Can Obama claim executive privilege from Tahiti?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Can Obama claim executive privilege from Tahiti?

he would have to send a "classified" and "privileged" email

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

On Tuesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer called the report "100 percent false." He said the White House never took action to stop her from testifying.
Spicer produced the letter from Yates lawyer to make his point that the WP was 100% very fake news .

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
She would probably screw up and prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Trump being Monitored was real and that Obama and almost everyone in the White house knew about it. Also it will prove that she was aware of unmasked evidence and many others did.

Is it really Trump that stopped her from testifying about this stuff or her old boss that pushed for this. Everything can't come out about what the government has been doing. We do not have to destroy the reliability of the White house, just get enough evidence of wrongdoings. Trump and our Intelligence agencies may need to use this surveillance technique and it should not be banned. If people know the whole truth they will demand it be stopped at all levels, especially on our citizens of the country. Don't worry, we are being watched every day, hopefully they do not use what we say against us to railroad our lives.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Fake news?
Who'd have ever thunk it!

They really don't want this stuff to come out.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

On Tuesday, White House press secretary Sean Spicer called the report "100 percent false." He said the White House never took action to stop her from testifying.
Spicer produced the letter from Yates lawyer to make his point that the WP was 100% very fake news .

Spicer has a hard job because he has to lie to the face of the American people in order to cover the President's ass sometimes. I'm not saying what he said is true or false, just that he doesn't have much credibility right now.

Also, about all I know about this story is the fact that Nunes (or someone) seems to have canceled all of the Intelligence Committee meetings for the week for some reason. Seems to me like someone doesn't want the committee to get its job done smoothly.
edit on 28pmTue, 28 Mar 2017 14:49:50 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oh, I bet she'll get to testify. She probably won't like it. Ms. Yates, I call:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Watch for Obama to claim that anything coming out of his people is 'privileged communications'.
He has to.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Nobody blocked her from testifying.

JUST THE FACTS:

• The congressional intelligence committee asked Sally Yates to appear and discuss her activity.

• Sally Yates asks the DOJ for permission to appear.

• The DOJ tells Sally Yates her prior role was acting head of the DOJ a position subject to the authority of the White House; therefore she should ask the White House not the DOJ.

• Sally Yates asks the White House same question, and states a non-response equals permission.

• White House gives non-response granting permission.

"The Washington Post story is entirely false," White House press secretary Sean Spicer said in a statement. "The White House has taken no action to prevent Sally Yates from testifying and the Department of Justice specifically told her that it would not stop her and to suggest otherwise is completely irresponsible."

"I hope she testifies," Spicer said during the Tuesday press briefing. "I look forward to it."

www.washingtonexaminer.com...

edit on 28-3-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Is the FBI still stonewalling the whole thing? From my pov it sure looks like a certain sides does everything they can to prevent the questioning into the possibly illegal investigation from the FBI. Yates is just being used as another distraction. Comey is toast. Social Media is already up in arms and rushed to the side of Yates. You know i can't believe i'm writing this but i want to see the whole administration of Obama crash and burn. This self righteous crap of these f#cking numbnuts on Twitter is getting on my nerves.
edit on 28-3-2017 by Perfectenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Okay, way to pick up on this...

I have a hard time believing Spicer when he says the Washington Post's story is "fake news." It looks like the Washington Post has evidence to back up their claim.

The Washington Post said it had reviewed letters from the Department of Justice in which it told Ms Yates it considered much of her possible testimony to be barred from discussion at the committee hearing. It said this was because the topics were covered by the presidential communication privilege.

Independent

The Department of Justice is under Trump and part of the Executive Branch. So saying the White House stopped Sally Yates from testifying is accurate.

It looks like the rest of the article is based on an ex-CIA analyst's opinion.

Jeremy Bash, a former chief of staff at both the Defence Department and CIA under Barack Obama, claimed Mr Nunes had come up with the story about travelling to the White House to block the testimony of Ms Yates.

“The real story, the real issue here, is not so much about the midnight run by the chairman onto the White House grounds, it’s really that they wanted to cancel the hearing this week,” Mr Bash told MSNBC.

“The hearing this week was going to hear from Sally Yates, the former acting attorney general, and I’m told that she had some very interesting things to tell the committee, to tell the public about when she told the White House counsel that Mike Flynn had, in fact, been lying to the vice president.”

He added: “She was only going to be able to speak those things in the context of a congressional hearing, and so the White House and the chairman needed to shut her down. This was an elaborately choreographed gag order on Sally Yates.”

CNN said the White House has denied the allegation.

I could see how the White House could deny this specific allegation because it is simply speculation on their motives. And it could be the wrong speculation. But still, the White House was behind canceling Sally Yate's testimony.
edit on 28pmTue, 28 Mar 2017 15:21:59 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

The Department of Justice is under Trump and part of the Executive Branch. So saying the White House stopped Sally Yates from testifying is accurate. 

What isn't mentioned is which President the communications were with.
It is quite possible that she spoke to Obama about the things that may come up in questioning.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

fake news?.....and yet, the hearing was called off, the day after Nunes secretly went to the white house ..how is that NOT taking action to keep her from testifying...let's remember that Nunes was part of trumps campaign.....by the way that "letter" from Yates lawyer proves nothing about the WP article being false

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Nunes did not secretly go the white house.

He went openly during the lignt of day.

He went to the SCIf that contained Obama's daily intelligence briefings which document the Trump surveillance. These briefings are only available at this specific White House SCIF.

edit on 28-3-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

join