It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When did inequality start?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
We are a society founded on equal opportunity for everyone, that is one of the main points of Democracy. Equality is good, it is what allows the O.P. to live a comfortable life. Things are definitely more equal now than they were in the past, which is because we are making progress.

Think of the blacks who were brought to America from Africa, where they were free, and used as slaves here. They were not equal. Yet they were used to increase the wealth of plantation owners and many others while getting nothing in return. Is this justice?

Think of women, who until very recently (even 100 years is not very long compared to all of history and especially pre-history) gained the right to vote and even more recently entered the workforce as (almost) equals.

But I know... I know... these don't affect white men, so there would be little or no empathy from many on ATS.

Just because we were not equal in the past, does not mean that it is a bad thing to focus on equality now.
edit on 28pmTue, 28 Mar 2017 13:18:21 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Um no there was no peace between Natives. Even the Natives wage war among themselves before the Europeans arrive.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
awhile back, while the stock market was booming as high as college debt was, I was seeing stories of teachers leaving the classrooms in search of those higher paying jobs, many went into the financial markets. many of these teacher did so because their pay wasn't enough to make it worthwhile after you considered the college debt. they could have been great teachers, we will never know, will we? we didn't value the teacher as highly was we did the wiz kids of wall street and because of that we got wiz kids in wall street instead. the nice lady that cashes out your groceries at the store, greets you with a smile, and maybe even offers to help you ( if you are older and less able) with your bags of grocery does alot more for you than the ceo that is in corporate headquarters far away that you will never meet. or the bus monitor and driver that is making sure your kids make it safely home... why don't we value those who actually work to make a difference in our lives, the one we meet everyday, the ones who teach our kids, at least as much as we do those who are out of sight, simply shuffling folders on their desk, who we will never meet? if one were to consider who has the greater impact on our lives, these people would be rewarded more, and maybe we wouldn't have forced good teachers to go to an occupation that probably the only thing that they did like about it was the higher pay.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Keep in mind that many problems that Humans tackle are due to lack of foresight to the problems that a problem we are tackling will fix. So while you are right that no other animal would be building skyscrapers on asteroids, no other animal would ever be faced with the choice to even make that call. Because no other animal is trying to figure out how to take its society into the future.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krahzeef_Ukhar

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

So inequality just appeared out of nowhere?

No, we are not born equal from the beginning.

Of course we aren't.
Some are born into privilege their ancestors raped and pillaged for.

Some are born into lack of privilege of which their ancestors were raped and pillaged for.

And some are neither. My forebearers were neither raped and pillaged nor did the raping and pillaging. They were neither slaves nor slave owners. If any of our ancestors did or were it has no bearing now. Your life is what you make of it, and no one is responsible for it but you. Everyone just does the best they can with what they have. My family was not rich and I was born female- so what? I work hard, pay my bills, love my family and do the best I can do every day. Do I consider myself underpriveleged? Absolutely not! You are only a victim if you allow yourself to stoop to that mentality. Willpower and determination can make a world of difference if you can find it within yourself! I grew up poor and am not much richer than I was then as far as money goes but my life is full of the riches of love, knowledge and experiences. I'm not sure I would ever trade the riches I have for the other sort, and I might not even have those riches if I had been born into wealth.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

No other human ever came along and offered a hand up? I am not surprised, but we have a long way to go for that. What is out of balance, is empathy, a very human necessity for survival. "Except for the grace of God, there go I".

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity
Im guessing you are a fan of Chistopher Columbus?
America is what it is today bc of his raping and pillaging of the indians.
Yes,America is great...however...there was peace and equality with the Indians. They were one with nature and more grounded spiritually.
Who is to say we would not be better off with all of these indians umm...NOT pillaged and their ways and kindness with us still today.
There is an evil in America...it is obvious. I blame it on Christopher Columbus.
Nice, I see someone here has a good understanding of American history. Personally I would rather learn our true history than live with the lie that we all have been told in history class.

Was Columbus a hero, a discoverer of a new land or was he an invader and conqueror?
Our history text books paint a varnished version of American history that shows key players as “wart-less heroes”, as James W. Loewen puts it.
The Americas were not a savage wilderness full of uncivilized barbarians as we were taught. People lived here, in groups. There was cooperation and equality. This all changed post Columbus.
The pre-Columbus Americas were not a utopia but it was far different from the way our history text books make it out to appear. If you are looking for equality in our past I think this is a good place to start.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You're a good person.

I wanna argue but I can't.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

So inequality just appeared out of nowhere?

No, we are not born equal from the beginning.

Of course we aren't.
Some are born into privilege their ancestors raped and pillaged for.

Some are born into lack of privilege of which their ancestors were raped and pillaged for.

And some are neither. My forebearers were neither raped and pillaged nor did the raping and pillaging.

You need to check your family tree closer.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   

inequality does not exist in real life bc everyone is equal.

To fit your head around that statement is hard.

However, the inequality that exists today and always has and always will is bc of people who have to feel better than others in order to feel important. It will change...who is the minority...from age to age...but it will always be there as long as people are idiots.

just my opinion
Wonderful opinion, IMO- lol!
Equality/inequality is a philosophical debate. We are all innately equal. Perhaps it is our fear that creates a need to feel superior and the only way to feel superior is by degrading or demonizing others.
edit on 3/28/2017 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

You need to check your family tree closer.

My family tree has been thoroughly checked, thank you very much. What is with people like you with the victim mindset? Everyone was either the oppressed or oppressors in your minds. Not true at all. Both sides of my family were free farmers and shop keepers tracing back hundreds of years, not raping and pillaging for gain but actually working to support their families. Not evil oppressive rich people, not lowly downtrodden slaves, just hardworking everyday people trying to live their lives as best as they could- just like I do now.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Was there ever a point when people were equal?

If we go back to the "big bang" of social equality there must have been a point of true equality.

Could it be possible that those with privilege actually worked their way towards it, and even worse deserved it?

Personally I wouldn't recommend raping and pillaging as a plan for success, but it does seem to work.

Inequality in natural terms started the moment there was DNA and biodiversity in our genes.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Devino

Personally, i would have rather the Native Americans not been pillaged and raped so their influence would still be alive and strong today. Their cooperation, equality, compassion and spirituality coupled with a time of discovery and invention...I can just imagine how great it would be today...so peaceful. No melting icecaps, no global warming.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Foul!

You are trying to equate equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. They are very different things.

Equality of opportunity simply means that opportunity exists and we all have access to it without legal bars in place to prevent some. As far as I know, there are no legal bars to a person aiming for an opportunity. Laws do not exist that prevent blacks or women from aiming for opportunities that exist and working toward them.

However, then you seem to think that would equate to equality of outcome. Well, it won't and never will. Not everyone aims for the same opportunity and not everyone will be able to take advantage of some opportunities for various reasons. For example, think of all the kids who start out loving the game of basketball and dream of playing in college and the NBA. Consider ... out of all those kids, only about 2% have the talent to realize that opportunity and even fewer of those will make it into the NBA.

So even though there are no bars to opportunity to play basketball and everyone has the opportunity to try and strive, not everyone will realize that supreme opportunity. You cannot get equal outcome.

And all of life is like that.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Personally, i would have rather the Native Americans not been pillaged and raped so their influence would still be alive and strong today. Their cooperation, equality, compassion and spirituality coupled with a time of discovery and invention...I can just imagine how great it would be today...so peaceful. No melting icecaps, no global warming.

Native Americans practiced slavery too. Some tribes did human sacrifice. I'm sure adopting the mesoAmerican practice of ripping still beating hearts out of our vanquished foes' chests in order to appease the rain gods would be a wonderful cultural practice.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

My apologies.

I'm sure within the 200,000 years of humanity none of your relatives touched a leaf in anger.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Krahzeef_Ukhar

Today's inequality surely grew from a starting point. I'm interested in what that starting point was.

I would have to guess that inequality started, when there was two.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Does that mean that inequality is the natural state of things?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: peck420

Interesting, so are you saying that equality isn't possible?

OP there si equality in one thing DEATH. everything else is a pipe dream.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Native Americans practiced slavery too. Some tribes did human sacrifice. I'm sure adopting the mesoAmerican practice of ripping still beating hearts out of our vanquished foes' chests in order to appease the rain gods would be a wonderful cultural practice.

so you were told? You believe everything you were told?

Christiopher columbus wrote back to spain about how nice and easily manipulative the natives were, how they would be easy to get rid of.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join