It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Fitbit HR For Treatment of Anorexia Nervosa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
As someone who as been diagnosed as having AN-R, I see a therapist. I have had an eating disorder for a very long time, so am fairly entrenched and ambivalent. So, my therapist came up with a brilliant--if risky--plan: I buy myself a Fitbit HR, record my calories and see how that works. The key here is, I do want to get better and am actively fighting against it, even though I am still losing weight. I am thin, but not scarily so, so that is good. What we are trying to do is maintain my weight and so far it seems to be working well enough with room for improvement on my part.

I think it is because it helps with the mindfulness and accountability aspects, when one is actively engaged in trying to beat the negative self-talk patterns. It helps to see that, look I have only had 600 calories today--I need to eat 400 more (We are trying to get me to eat at least 1000 a day even though I burn over 2000--ie. a start).

I also allow my fiance (who accompanies me to therapy) to check my Fitbit account (on his phone) in order to make sure I don't do anything funny.

The reason why I say all of this is because the only empirical evidence for treatment that works is outpatient treatment. And this is a potential way to augment that, on a case-by-case basis. Of course, this could be potentially dangerous because one can misuse the Fitbit and make it aid the eating disorder. So one has to be honest with oneself. Luckily, I am too lazy to care about cheating anymore, since I just want to be normal, already

Anyway, I hope you found this interesting. For any therapists out there--take note please--especially for clients who want to have more control over the process.

The only downside is they are slightly pricey--I got my Fitbit Charge HR (Rose Gold) for $119 new on Ebay. You just need to hunt for a good deal, but they're out there for less than $200.

edit on 27-3-2017 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
It is hard for me to even comprehend how a person with that feels or thinks. I do not have that issue and can't imagine how it would be possible. But I do know people who have a similar condition, in the anorexia illness, I do not know if it is the Nervosa type though, I never asked. They are skinny but think they are fat. The ones I knew used to make themselves puke when they ate. I can't understand why they think they are fat.

It may be different with you, I don't know what the nervosa means.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia
Did I not see this post before, recently?

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra
Did I not see this post before, recently?

You're going to give yourself a stroke with your constant negativity.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   

I applaud you in your efforts at trying to become healthy and wish you all of the luck. It's an interesting idea/approach that your therapist is trying and almost seems counter productive but, different things will work for different folks and I hope this is a tool that will help you.
My limited knowledge of the disorder is that it is about control? So, shifting the control (?) maybe will work for you.
Here's to your normalcy and using technology in new ways to help people.

Good luck on your journey and strength.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I hope you find it helpful... I'm sure it's a fine line to walk, to be in control of all your numbers and data and not obsessive about it. For some it could be highly detrimental to their recovery, but we are all so different and no two eating disorder patients are exactly alike. I'm glad your working with a therapist you trust and that is willing to try some unconvential ideas. Good luck with it!!

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Thanks! I've never been the type to get all nutty about numbers--and honestly I'm so lazy that I forget to log my food sometimes. So, I have to keep up the momentum for even things like that, since I get bored when things are repetitive lol

Luckily for me. Thank you! I am sure I will find some use for it.

The Relax feature is especially cool, actually. It works, which is great for someone anxious like me

So, if anything, there's always that
haha

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Precisely! It has to do with control in a sense, yes. It also has to do with reassuring me that I'm not getting fat. To prove to me that fat isn't a feeling
Which I know it isn't even if it is a very realistic sensation. I like to argue with my therapist, so this is his solution, so I can't. He expressed his concerns over the dangers of it as well, yet trusts me because I am very open and honest. I am a guinea pig of sorts, but I don't mind.

Even though it would not work for everyone, the idea of using almost a prison bracelet (kinda lol) to monitor calorie intake and sleep patterns etc. is definitely helpful from the therapist's perspective, since he is able to literally see what I've eaten in each day, or how that may have affected my sleep. And go from there on advising me. So it is helpful to get his analysis of that information, I find.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I just starve myself--or restrict (AN-R) At first, it makes you feel really sharp-minded and clear-headed, so it gets addicting. But then it makes you tired and dizzy and such and is generally no bueno.

It makes sense that most that you know were ones who throw up--since not eating is generally seen as rather difficult. It isn't--it is just down to habit actually, more or less.

I used to make myself throw up, when I was bad, back in 2009. I had AN-BP (binge/purge type). I used to throw up an insane amount and I was honestly acting insane almost back then because my electrolytes were so effed up. But miraculously, I emerged from that with nothing wrong with me (I went down to less than 84 pounds, in college, which was frightening since I was skeletal and dying) other than a ripped ligament. Which is now fixed and perfectly fine and actually stronger than before. Plenty of people die from less, frankly. Throwing up everything one ingests quickly after ingestion makes for rapid weight loss.

It is well-known that anorexics who throw up die faster and more frequently than those who do not. So even though anorexia nervosa has the highest death rate, that is mainly because of suicide which I would never resort to because I always have hope. I am so glad that I don't throw up anymore. Doing so was truly terrifying because it is such a desperate act of self-hatred. Nobody deserves to do that to themselves.

I hope the people you knew who did that to themselves stopped.

posted on Mar, 31 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
a reply to: rickymouse

I just starve myself--or restrict (AN-R) At first, it makes you feel really sharp-minded and clear-headed, so it gets addicting. But then it makes you tired and dizzy and such and is generally no bueno.

It makes sense that most that you know were ones who throw up--since not eating is generally seen as rather difficult. It isn't--it is just down to habit actually, more or less.

I used to make myself throw up, when I was bad, back in 2009. I had AN-BP (binge/purge type). I used to throw up an insane amount and I was honestly acting insane almost back then because my electrolytes were so effed up. But miraculously, I emerged from that with nothing wrong with me (I went down to less than 84 pounds, in college, which was frightening since I was skeletal and dying) other than a ripped ligament. Which is now fixed and perfectly fine and actually stronger than before. Plenty of people die from less, frankly. Throwing up everything one ingests quickly after ingestion makes for rapid weight loss.

It is well-known that anorexics who throw up die faster and more frequently than those who do not. So even though anorexia nervosa has the highest death rate, that is mainly because of suicide which I would never resort to because I always have hope. I am so glad that I don't throw up anymore. Doing so was truly terrifying because it is such a desperate act of self-hatred. Nobody deserves to do that to themselves.

I hope the people you knew who did that to themselves stopped.

To starve yourself is not good, we have reserves in our body of minerals and vitamins, once those reserves are gone, then things go downhill rapidly and it is hard to get back to healthy again. Fasting for a day or two a week is not bad, just eat nutrient packed diverse foods for the rest of the time, no junk foods. Yes, you have clarity for a while, but it will disappear, the body will try to keep the heart going and rob cholestorol and lipids from all over, causing muscles to die off and pull out needed chemistry from the brain. As you lose the material from the brain, your comprehension also goes meaning you will not notice it is happening. You will forget you ever knew things.

Try to get back to normal somewhat, you still have lots to do before you leave this place. Enjoy the food, you only have one life to live.

posted on Apr, 1 2017 @ 03:23 AM
link   

I really like this topic. I used to be anorexic then later became anorexic with binge purge. For me, I got caught up in the numbers. Weight, calories, how long I jogged, how many hours I exercised, etc. I wonder if Fitbit would have helped me because I was so caught up in the numbers...
Now... I have the opposite problem, I eat and don't throw up. I eat when overly stressed. Now that I'm nearly 50 and stopped anorexia when I was about 30, I'm over weight. The body diaphoretic disorder (?) is still there. I do see a psychologist for PTSD and the original cause of anorexia. For me, being skinny got me more attention from guys that I didn't want, that actually scared the crap out of me. Last summer there was this guy giving me the eye. I was walking into my local corner store and saw my reflection in the windows of the door, I looked at myself and thought, at least I'm fat so he, creepy guy, wouldn't be interested. My next thought was... Wow, that's not good to think that and I need to talk to my psych about this. Eating disorders can swing either way. No one questions you when you're fat, but everybody says something when you're too skinny. So now I still have an eating disorder but so many people are over weight no one takes notice.
I'm so glad you're getting help and not cheating on the Fitbit. Good for you! Keep up the good work. Stay out of the hospital and be healthy. You can be healthy and at a nice weight. It's a heck of a hard road you're on any my heart goes out to you.
Blessings,
Mrs. S

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Congratulations and good luck on your journey to become healthy.

I have been in the fitness business for a long time and am a master licensed nutritionist, and am also a Fitbit Charge HR 2 user. My opinion... this is counter-intuitive to your attempt at eating more calories. Everyone in the world uses Fitbit and other activity trackers as a way to count their steps / calorie burn and make sure they are eating in a deficit to lose weight. Risky to say the least! I would rather see you on a legitimate healthy plan with a target calorie number and healthy food suggestions along with weekly monitoring vs. relying on an activity tracker. As another poster mentioned, it's very easy to get caught up in the numbers and easy to get consumed with weighing, measuring, counting, tracking, etc.

I am speaking from personal experience as well.

Reach out to me anytime you need support.

top topics

join