It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elon Musk Launches Neuralink to Connect Brains With Computers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   
This is the type of stuff that worries me to the core. Brain manipulation and even more outside interference of our minds.

Neuralink is pursuing what Mr. Musk calls “neural lace” technology, implanting tiny brain electrodes that may one day upload and download thoughts.

We all have thoughts. Some most appropriate and at times, very much not appropriate. Regardless, outbound they would go.

The solution he proposed was a “direct cortical interface”—essentially a layer of artificial intelligence inside the brain—that could enable humans to reach higher levels of function.

AI built within the mind. No mention of what would/could happen adversely. Perhaps I'm on the ignorant side, but I'm not to keen on how this would make lives better. Later in the article, it is addressed.

These people say the first products could be advanced implants to treat intractable brain disorders like epilepsy or major depression, a market worth billions of dollars. Such implants would build on simpler electrodes already used to treat brain disorders like Parkinson’s disease.

www.wsj.com...

I don't know man, just don't know. What about you?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I volunteer. My brain is pretty much mush anyways. Im half retarded half insane.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Sounds like you've taken the hook.

You believe they need to implant stuff in your brain
in order to access it?

pfff

The marks have got to pay for it, I suppose.

# 729

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheWhiteKnight
Sounds like you've taken the hook.

You believe they need to implant stuff in your brain
in order to access it?

pfff

The marks have got to pay for it, I suppose.

# 729

Very. First. Sentence.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

This "neuralink" thing must be what they used on people like Britney Spears, Kanye West, Miley Cyrus.... no? It all makes perfect sense now!

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Medically it sounds promising and will no doubt provide relief to those suffering from a host of ailments. The transhumanists or even regular folk may want to implement it to augment their current brain limitations and enhance cognitive abilities. I can appreciate the novelty of direct access to internet and the up and coming internet of things, being desirable for communication and general inquiries with immediate access to information(answers).

As long as people are not forced to do this it may not be a problem….at first. However crafty marketing may sway the masses to want one and therefore entire societies will be plugged in and then yea, enter nefarious prospects such as hackers, gubberment, tech malfunction,corporate marketing etc..

It is surreal to picture a future where people are not just staring into their phones anymore, but just staring into space, processing info. At some point our bodies will become useless sacks of meat ooze as we invest more and more attention to cyberspace, ultimately leaping into it never to return to the physical world again, and I wonder, is that the plan? Is this our natural destination or has our evolution been hijacked by technology?

Interesting times ahead for sure..
edit on 27-3-2017 by waftist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: waftist

Great response!

For a dark art reference: en.wikipedia.org...

I can't help but think that it will have the same phenomena as smart phones. Such a great idea honestly, take something no one would logically want and market it so well that it becomes as important and a pair of shoes.

I'm not against people getting help for ailments but to tie in something as ubiquitous as depression throws up a red flag.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Coming soon : the NSA in your head .

Elon Musk can get stuffed .

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
anyone else really sick and tired of musk stealing old ideas and trying to make them his own? all these old ideas hes been rehashing lately makes me wonder what we arent hearing about tesla and its new battery factory along with spacex. or maybe hes just fishing for a few billion more in federal subsidies.
edit on 27-3-2017 by TheScale because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   
This is something I've been waiting for, this will keep the AI from getting too far ahead of us and allow us to handle the coming automation rush, we need this to keep humans relevant by becoming part of the machine itself.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: namehere
This is something I've been waiting for, this will keep the AI from getting too far ahead of us and allow us to handle the coming automation rush, we need this to keep humans relevant by becoming part of the machine itself.

I hope it allows me to transform into a mac truck.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: namehere

If I'm reading your post correctly, you think that the feature of acquiring more technological information to be one of the benefits? What is keeping they/we/us from staying in the know now?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Nope.That's not something i would ever voluntarily go for.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
7 of 9 comes to mind with her cortical implants ..
Wonder how alcohol or drugs might affect this merger of man and machine ?

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Also could be used as an 'on-off' switch..... total control....

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale
anyone else really sick and tired of musk stealing old ideas and trying to make them his own? all these old ideas hes been rehashing lately makes me wonder what we arent hearing about tesla and its new battery factory along with spacex. or maybe hes just fishing for a few billion more in federal subsidies.

Hmm, I don't get the impression he's fishing for money. Doesn't he have enough of that? I think the "old ideas" are renewed, polished and brought forth because of his ability to do so financially and with supporting engineering capability and resources. I think Elon's heart is in the right place and I like his open sourcing philosophy. I do hold a degree of skepticism too, for I know better than to just fully give all my trust to someone, especially someone with such power and influence,but for now I am happy he is doing what he does.

The gov has given 4.9 billion for Tesla and Space x combined and Tesla is paying off in jobs, shares and innovative products that benefit the consumer and arguably the planet.(include Solar City too)
By comparison the gov subsidies almost the same amount(5 billion) to oil industries annually.
Source info
Aside from how I feel about subsidies in general, since we seem to have no choice, I would rather my tax dollars go towards Musk's endeavors by comparison(for now).

After saying all this now I have to admit, I do have some reservations about his enthusiasm with this neural net thing, and I can't tell if he thinks we need it or wants us to need it, which I do not appreciate. His stance makes me wonder if he will become a spokesman with Kurzwell pushing this singularity thing. I have mixed feelings about that movement and would rather see it unfold slowly and not be aggressively pushed and promoted.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

ive followed these type of system over the years and the biggest hurdle is overcoming the differences in brains. each subjects brain works slightly differently and in order to calibrate to each user they have to go through countless hours fine tuning just to do a simple command. imo the most important part of this is getting a program that can run people through a process to get it calibrated to each individual and do it in a much shorter period of time. its a great idea for the disabled who dont have use of their limbs or other issues and i hope thats where it is first introduced if they ever do get a handle on it.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: waftist

Hmm, I don't get the impression he's fishing for money. Doesn't he have enough of that? I think the "old ideas" are renewed, polished and brought forth because of his ability to do so financially and with supporting engineering capability and resources. I think Elon's heart is in the right place and I like his open sourcing philosophy. I do hold a degree of skepticism too, for I know better than to just fully give all my trust to someone, especially someone with such power and influence,but for now I am happy he is doing what he does.

The gov has given 4.9 billion for Tesla and Space x combined and Tesla is paying off in jobs, shares and innovative products that benefit the consumer and arguably the planet.(include Solar City too)

By comparison the gov subsidies almost the same amount(5 billion) to oil industries annually.
Aside from how I feel about subsidies in general, since we seem to have no choice, I would rather my tax dollars go towards Musk's endeavors by comparison(for now). Source info

After saying all this now I have to admit, I do have some reservations about his enthusiasm with this neural net thing and makes me wonder if he will become a spokesman with Kurzwell pushing this singularity thing. I have mixed feelings about that movement and would rather see it unfold slowly and not be aggressively pushed and promoted.

well solar as its used in the residential sector is far from a green system. they have the tech to produce panels that are energy positive but the costs prohibit it in most cases so they are still using the old panels which will never produce as much power as it took to manufacture. were just paying upfront with fossil fuels. also really look into solarcity and their business practices. my parents got taken for over 70 grand on a solar system that should have cost 30K. put a lien against their home when they tried to sell it, halting the sale, until my parents paid the balance off in full with interest costing just under 70k. i also work in a business that has some overlap and ive heard from many of my customers who had the same thing happen to them. i have a feeling in the next couple years these stories are going to start popping up like crazy in the news.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

I am sorry to hear of their experience and I too have heard similar stories from the past years, and of course there is the Solyndra epic fail. I do however believe(whatever that's worth) the ratio is more optimum now and the value will equate better and improve greatly in the future. < says the techno-optimist in me >
A lot has changed just since 2014 and the rate tech is advancing I am hopeful.

I know I will do my homework before ever investing and if solar is not yet definitively beneficial, I will wait, but from what I have read recently, with graphene implementation in panels and capacitors it seems promising.
Grap hene and solar industry

ETA: I just reread your post Scale and think I got mixed up on my part about your Solar City experience specifically. When was that, recently?
Pardon my obsessive editing.. I did not know about issues with Solar City so thank you for sharing your experience.
Okay I just googled solar city issues and DOH! Beware, it is not yet that great. I take back my glorified solar stance…sorry

- to the OP, apologies for steering off topic

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

ive followed these type of system over the years and the biggest hurdle is overcoming the differences in brains. each subjects brain works slightly differently and in order to calibrate to each user they have to go through countless hours fine tuning just to do a simple command. imo the most important part of this is getting a program that can run people through a process to get it calibrated to each individual and do it in a much shorter period of time. its a great idea for the disabled who dont have use of their limbs or other issues and i hope thats where it is first introduced if they ever do get a handle on it.

While each person displays various brain anomalies to the same stimuli (thought, picture, circumstance), these are not what science is really interested in. It is the root cause of the effects, which may be the part of the brain architecture that is the same in all of us, yet deeply hidden.

If they can find and identify these places or processes, then we will have achieved a phenomenal advancement that will open the doors to thousands of applications. One that you mentioned, and certainly important to me as well , is the use in helping people overcome debilitating brain and nervous systems disease by enabling them to better interact with the outside world. I am certain that the first use of such technology will be directed there.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join