It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prison Labor is Slave Labor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: dfnj2015

Chain gangs are part of American history.
It keeps them active and gives them something productive to do.

Pro tip for avoiding prison labor: Don't go to prison. I know it's a crazy idea, but hundreds of millions of Americans do it every day.

Slavery is a part of American history. Really don't think you're historical argument works.

Keeping inmates active isn't really an issue, have you seen the shape people get into while in prison? I would submit that it would be far better for society to teach them a trade and otherwise help them to avoid criminal behavior in the future.

I guarantee you that somewhere in life you've committed a felony. The only difference between you and many felons is not being at the wrong place at the wrong time. Keep judging though, just like the OP referred to, it's very christian of you.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

And you blame the Christians?

The purpose of prisons is not to provide free accommodation. One would hope that prisons also aren't for public vengeance either.

Prisons should be to protect the public from malefactors and as an aid to reform.

Yes, there are problems occurring in the US system. Yes, there are more lower income and African-Americans represented in US prison populations.

Perhaps you have a solution?

I personally think the process of decriminalisation of some types of drugs (which is happening right now) and a re-classification of drug related issues as a medical issue, will go a long way to help fix the situation.

Also, having permission for the general public to carry weapons, especially ones that cannot be used for anything else other than inflicting harm, is plain stupid. Only some people should be allowed to carry, for specific very good reasons and with limitations.

edit on 28/3/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Forced labour is not slave labour. Learn English.

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Not to mention, if they are working in prison, they might get the idea of some basic job skills and some trade skills that might serve them well on the outside.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 05:03 AM
link   
If you work, you must be paid minimum wage.... period. It is the law.
That being said....The money you earn should be going to the victims.
Why should someone who kills me and takes from my daughter the person who provides for her be allowed to retain any income? He should be supplementing the income of the family he may be making homeless

top topics

<< 1   >>

join