It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you're waiting for Nibiru , well now you can help astronomers look for it

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Planet X , Nibiru or just plain old Planet Nine , it's believed to be out there somewhere beyond the orbit of Neptune and the hunt is on to find it , now the science community needs your help to do it.

A new website funded by NASA lets the public search for new worlds in the outer reaches of our solar system and in neighboring interstellar space. The website, called Backyard Worlds: Planet 9, allows everyone to participate in the search though brief movies made from images captured by NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) mission.

The movies highlight sources that have gradually moved across the sky. The new website uses WISE all-sky data to search for unknown objects in and beyond our own solar system. In 2016, astronomers at the California Institute of Technology showed that several distant solar system objects possessed orbital features indicating they were affected by the gravity of an as-yet-undetected planet, which the researchers nicknamed "Planet Nine." If Planet Nine exists and is as bright as some predictions, it could show up in WISE data.
The search also may discover more distant objects like brown dwarfs, sometimes called failed stars, in nearby interstellar space. These strange objects form like stars but evolve like planets, the coldest ones being much like Jupiter.

On the website, people around the world can work their way through millions of "flipbooks," which are brief animations showing how small patches of the sky changed over several years. Moving objects flagged by users will be prioritized by the science team for later follow-up observations by professional astronomers.

Here's the blurb and link to the site.

Is there a large planet at the fringes of our solar system awaiting discovery, a world astronomers call Planet Nine? We’re looking for this planet and for new brown dwarfs in the backyard of the solar system using data from NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) mission. But we need your help! Finding these dim objects requires combing through the images by eye to distinguish moving celestial bodies from ghosts and other artifacts. There are too many images for us to search through by ourselves. So come join the search, and you might find a rogue world that's nearer to the Sun than Proxima Centauri---or even the elusive Planet Nine.
www.zooniverse.org...

So there you are , if Nibiru is out there you could be credited with helping find it , you may even get to name it.
Planet gortex awaits.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Aw, C'mon Gortex.

I know that YOU know that the "Planet X/Planet 9" many astronomers say might exist, as evidenced by the eccentric orbits of known Kuiper belt objects, is NOT the same as the definition of the alleged planet some people call "Nibiru".

Planet X/Planet 9 has an orbit that is 200 to 1200 AU from the Sun. That's nothing like the alleged orbit of Nibiru, which (according to the myth) is said to pass through the inner solar system every 3600 years. 200 AU (its closest position along its calculated orbit) is still 7 times farther out than Neptune -- and that's the closest. It's average orbit is 25 times farther than Neptune. That's not Nibiru.

edit on 27/3/2017 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

It's my understanding that Nibiru is a brown dwarf , part of the project is to look for brown dwarfs ... Nibiru !

Not sayin it's there ,,, but it's there,

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

It's my understanding that Nibiru is a brown dwarf , part of the project is to look for brown dwarfs ... Nibiru !

Not sayin it's there ,,, but it's there,

You are confusing the story of Nemesis with the story of Nibiru

"Nemesis" is the pop-culture name given to the Brown Dwarf the allegedly haunts the outer solar system. The details of the pop-culture story surrounding Nibiru are completely different.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Not in our solar system it isn't.

Brown Dwarf star would be easily visible via a variety of telescopes that we already have available. Even if it was hanging out in the Oort cloud and spitting comets and asteroids at us.

Good project though, it's good to bring more amateur astronomers into the mix.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Right. And if the Planet X/Planet 9 most recently being searched for by astronomers does exist (and it seems like there is an increasing amount of circumstantial evidence that it does exists), it would not be a brown dwarf.

The mass and size of Planet 9 has been calculated to be about 10 times the mass of Earth and maybe about 3 or 4 times the diameter (although the diameter is more of an unknown than the mass) -- which makes it planet sized, NOT brown dwarf sized.

The smallest brown dwarf would be much much more massive; about 5000 times the mass of Earth -- maybe 500 times more massive than what has been calculated for Planet 9.

So the Planet 9 that has been in the news lately is not a brown dwarf.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   

:facepalm:

"Nibiru" has NOTHING to do with Planet X, a brown dwarf, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Sigh.....

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
was having a bit of fun , sorry it upset you all.
Jeeez.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I most certainly think there is a planet/body out there beyond the Oort cloud, I'm sure we will find it at some point.

I think it's the remnants of some planet that was broken up during the formation of the solar system and got caught in the sun's gravity well but has nowhere to go. So it's orbit would still be around the sun, just not elliptical through the solar system as some would suppose.

I think it just stays beyond the cloud all the time, which is why it's never been spotted before.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I think it just stays beyond the cloud all the time, which is why it's never been spotted before.

~Tenth

The main problem with finding it seems to be a portion of its theoretical 20,000-year orbit puts it somewhere against the backdrop of the Milky Way, which is the faint cloud we can see at night that is toward the direction of the central bulge of the galaxy.

That means looking for an extremely dim dot that is moving extremely slowly among a dense backdrop of other dots, both bright and dim.

It's like looking for one specific needle in a needlestack.

EDIT TO ADD:

That part of its orbit (the part that takes it in front of the Milky Way background) is thought to be the part of its orbit that is farthest away from us, so the apparent movement of Planet 9 will be very very tiny. The density of the background of stars might render that tiny motion as undetectable, unless we get lucky enough to see it moving against a relatively blank part of the sky between two of those stars -- but their is very little relative relative blank sky to be seen in that portion of the sky.

The Search for Planet Nine

Excerpt:

The top plot shows our estimated orbital path. The red lines show the approximate outlines of the Milky Way galaxy, which we include in the plot as a warning: it is a lot harder to find objects when the bright Milky Way galaxy is in their background, as we witnessed with all of the difficulties that the New Horizons team had in finding Kuiper belt objects to go to after the Pluto flyby. If Planet Nine happens to be at one of these two places in its orbit it will, unfortunately, be much harder to find. The blue line shows the ecliptic -- the path of the planets across the sky -- which shows you than Planet Nine is tilted by about 30 degrees compared to the other planets of our solar system. The ~20 degree width of the estimated path of Planet Nine is largely due to the uncertainties in inclination and argument of perihelion.

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Well bugger me - I just found a mover on my second attempt! I hereby announcer Planet Nine discovered...

... well, probably an asteroid.

Unfortunately, the first (of four) frames was just solid blue, so I couldn't get more than three consecutive views.

After a few more attempts my eyes started to go funny!!!

edit on 27-3-2017 by MarsIsRed because: The edit button called out my name, and said "Click Me! CLick Me! Click Me!"

posted on Mar, 27 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
And for an hour now I've been clicking things I think are dipoles. Nice. Really cool thing.

Thanks for sharing!!!

-Alee

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Already been posted here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But a very important point to make is that the proposed Planet Nine has nothing to do with Nibiru (Nibiru itself being purely fictional), and it's not a brown dwarf either. You're too eager to use the "N" word without checking the facts more carefully.
edit on 28-3-2017 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
back in the 1980s... for some reason I had the reason to prognosticate that a super-nova would appear in the daytime sky... back then I suggested people look around the region of a star configuration called Triangulum, the Star-Triangle in the Southern Hemisphere

well, 1987A supernova popped up, but was : SN 1987A was a supernova in the outskirts of the Tarantula Nebula in the Large Magellanic Cloud ...

here in the 2017 era, I left comments in Planet-Nine Articles, that if the Astronomers look in the same place...

a minor constellation Triangulum, the One in the Southern Hemisphere they might find that distant object in the course of the Orbit it has with the Sun
there is a Triangulum Galaxy and a Triangulum Constellation... the one I am pointing to is the Southern One not the Northern one.
If I missed the 1987A supernova location, then it is possible I was misreading the Cosmic Codes and the Nemesis Star/ Planet-Nine was in that location instead of the supernova that was predicted a year earlier

...Triangulum Australe is a small constellation in the far Southern Celestial Hemisphere. Its name is Latin for "the southern triangle", which distinguishes it from Triangulum in the northern sky ..

happy sky searching
edit on th31149071322928002017 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

But a very important point to make is that the proposed Planet Nine has nothing to do with Nibiru

I know.

You're too eager to use the "N" word without checking the facts more carefully.

As I've already stated it was meant lightheartedly , lesson learned.

top topics

join